Changes in the Baha'i calendar

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
Calendar issues I know arise from time to time in religions...

Baha'is in the West meaning Europe and the Americas generally observed Baha'i Holy Days based largely on the Gregorian calendar because it's the calendar in use in most parts of the West... Baha'is having middle eastern origins observed some variations from the Baha'is in the West....particularly the Birthdays observed for the Bab and Baha'u'llah..

Effective this calendar year 172 ... the Baha'i calendar has been standardized..that is, whether for Baha'is in the West or the East we now observe the same dates for Holy Days.

Also Naw-Ruz for Baha'is is based on when the vernal equinox occurs in Tehran, Iran which was the birthplace of Baha'u'llah..this year it was March 20th... so our calendar has some slight variations from what it had in the past year...

The following is our current calendar:

On 10th July, 2014, the Universal House of Justice issued a letter to the Bahá'ís of the World, setting out various measures which will enable a more complete observance of the sacred text in relation to the calendar. The setting of the sun on 20th March, 2015, will signalise the end of the ninth Váhid of the calendar. From that time forth, certain provisions will be adopted:

• Teheran, the birthplace of Bahá'u'lláh, will be the point from which astronomical measurements will be calculated, determining the exact moment of the vernal equinox (in the northern hemisphere), and hence the day of Naw-Rúz.
  • The "Twin Birthdays" of the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh, situated on consecutive days according to the lunar calendar, will be celebrated on consecutive days on the eighth new moon after Naw-Rúz.
  • The dates of the remaining Holy Days will be fixed within the solar calendar, according to Bahá'í dates as follows:
  • Ridván - 13th Jalál to 5th Jamál
  • Declaration of the Báb - 8th Azamat
  • Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh - 13th Azamat
  • Martyrdom of the Báb - 17th Rahmat
  • Day of the Covenant - 4th Qawl
  • Ascension of 'Abdu'l-Bahá - 6th Qawl
[2]

Source Bahaikipedia:

http://bahaikipedia.org/Calendar#Further_Implementation_of_the_Bad.C3.AD_Calendar

Back