Kidney Stones!

dauer

Reaction score
I went to the ER late last night in terrible pain. I found out this morning that I was passing a kidney stone. It has made its way from my ureter -- bad pain -- to my bladder -- not as bad pain. In honor of my first kidney stone I thought I would start a thread on them.

When I first started feeling pain, I thought it was gas. Then I realized it couldn't be gas and decided it must be a pulled muscle. Then the pain got worse after it got better and that didn't make sense so I decided it must be my appendix. It was unclear to me until this morning when the doctor told me what it was. I think it may have to do in part with the fact that I started taking a calcium supplement. While calcium-rich foods are unlikely to contribute according to what I've read, calcium supplements may be likely to contribute to the appearance of stones. I still don't know what type it is though. That will require a laboratory study.

Have you ever had a stone? How big was it? Did you save it? What do you know about kidney stone prevention?

Hi Dauer, I sensed something was going on with you! They say drink lots of water. Some would contend that diet is important, but the evidence is unclear.

A while back there was a study that found that low animal protein, high fiber, high fluid diet was not much better than increased fluid alone. My hunch is there is a dietary/digestive issue, but it's not a broadly generalizable one because people's systems vary constitutionally (digestive systemwise) and as a function of age and weight. Certain diets might work with young people, but not with older folks. Unless you control for individual differences variables, the role of predisposing factors gets pretty much randomized out.

After developing a stone, a detailed preventive assessment to sort out contributing processes can help you. I'd suggest an endocrine workup or even more basic lab work from a blood sample and/or urine chemistry.

Rather than rely on the medical profession per se, I would talk to nutritionists, especially folks who take a pure science research interest in it. There are researchers at the Department of Nutrition at Harvard (the School of Public Health), 677 Huntington Ave., Boston.

I do know if they are still there, but these folks have done very large studies: Gary C. Curhan, Walter C. Willett, Eric B. Rimm, and Meir J. Stampfer. I would simply call over there and ask to speak with any prof in this area and ask for referrals for others you can talk with, if need be. You can get the latest on vitamin and calcium intake, etc. They might even have a study going that would give you a lot of personal assessment information that can give you additional direction.

You could call other facilities and professional nutritionists as well. I've had very good luck with an oriental medicine herbologist. There are lots of options.

Take care.

Thanks Netti-Netti. That post was both informative and actionable!

I suggest simply upping the amount of acid drinks you consume and cut out all artificial minerals and vitamins would help. If your diet requires artificial 'props' then it is a bad diet. Plenty of real fruit smoothies and water would soon dissolve any calcium in your system though it may be an idea to brush your teeth fast after each one.

As for the experience... :eek::eek::eek: S**T:eek::eek: gives me the willies!!

tao

Do you regularly work with industrial solvents?

Are you prone to gout? (Drinking black cherry juice really works well for that!)

How's your blood pressure?

Someone suggested I try drinking Newman's Lemonade as a preventative.

edit:

Never had gout but it runs in the family, don't work with industrial solvents, blood pressure is fairly low. I think at one point in the ER I was 111/69.

Hydrangea.

I've had three bouts.

Hydrangea available at your local herbal supply. Keep it on hand, once you've had one you are at increased likelihood of having another.

Is hydrangea use to make a tea and how regularly do you take it?

Someone suggested I try drinking Newman's Lemonade as a preventative.

edit:

Never had gout but it runs in the family, don't work with industrial solvents, blood pressure is fairly low. I think at one point in the ER I was 111/69.
Do you ever get dizzy when you stand up too fast? Might the low blood pressure be related to chronic dehydration? How thick is your blood? (Any polycythemia?)

I don't get dizzy when I stand up. I tend to drink a lot of water during the day. My lips are often chapped despite that. I've never had clotting issues if that's what you mean by blood thickness. That was the lowest my blood pressure tested, I think after a nap or meditation practice. It also tested much closer to 120/80, I think at one point maybe 124/76.

edit: My fingers and toes do get cold easily which I think may indicate poor circulation, but they're also both longer than most people's and slender.

I went to the ER late last night in terrible pain. I found out this morning that I was passing a kidney stone. It has made its way from my ureter -- bad pain -- to my bladder -- not as bad pain. In honor of my first kidney stone I thought I would start a thread on them.

AFAIK, the recommended intake of natural calcium rich milk actually reduces a person's risk of developing kidney stones. It really sucks that you got them dude, seriously, I have heard its very painful. I know there are multiple ways to treat them though, your doctors will probably tell you after more tests whats the best route.

AFAIK, the recommended intake of natural calcium rich milk actually reduces a person's risk of developing kidney stones. It really sucks that you got them dude, seriously, I have heard its very painful. I know there are multiple ways to treat them though, your doctors will probably tell you after more tests whats the best route.
Milk creates a calcium deficiency. More calcium is leached from your bones due to the protien than your body absorbs. Hence countries like US and Norway with high dairy intake have high osteoporosis rates...

Milk creates a calcium deficiency. More calcium is leached from your bones due to the protien than your body absorbs. Hence countries like US and Norway with high dairy intake have high osteoporosis rates...

:confused:

Milk creates a calcium deficiency... > ? !
I am gonna have to ask for your sources there sir.

I really would not suggest using hydrangea as it contains cyanide compounds. It can be smoked to produce a trip like high but can be fatal from cyanide poisoning in the doing. There has been little real study of it in solution and I would still be seeking other ideas first.

tao

I'm gonna have to research this more...
I know the milk in the US is not fit for consumption...
but cows in Canada and Europe are not given those
chemicals...

As for this calcium stripping business... thats news to me.
Will research this more...

If tests show you have any too big to (scream:eek:) pass then they can thread this long laser device up your....erm.....you know what (scream :eek: ). They can then vaporise them with the laser beam. Alternatively, as you are an American and would have to sell a kidney to pay for such a procedure, you could try it DIY, with a plumbers spring, a laser pen and a roll of tape!! :eek::p;)

:confused:

Milk creates a calcium deficiency... > ? !
I am gonna have to ask for your sources there sir.
Past Dairy associations quotes...Milk, it does a body good. Milk builds strong bones...on and on and on...all now rejected by the FDA as without substantiation.

Current dairy association come on... Got Milk?

No more dietary benefit claims for a reason.

As for Hydrangea... use at your own risk. I used therapeutic doses when I get stones...triple the label recommendation. The claim is that it disolves stones. I only passed my first stone...the other two times I rejected surgery and 'blasting' and used hydrangea (capsules found at herb stores) and did not pass any stones...pain stopped, peed through strainer for days...no stones.

First one was a pain unbelievable pain....next were painful till I self medicated ...with cyanide I suppose...

Makes me wonder how many cyanide compounds are in other plants and their warnings against use...hmm found in apple seeds (which I juice) and almonds, which I eat...more or less than hydrangea found in stores which I use once every couple years...I don't know.

Back