R. Zalman and Sufi Islam

Avi

Reaction score
The R. Zalman Legacy webpage explains that R. Zalman became a Sheikh of the Sufi Islam religion in 1975.

I am not too familiar with Sufism. Can someone explain why he choose to do that ?

This seem like a rather remarkable feat to me.

Thanks.

The Rabbi lives right up the street from me. Maybe I should go ask him what got into him...It seems Zalman was just a interfaith kind of guy.

For some reason I'm thinking Moses ben Maimon - aka Maimonides or Abu Imran Mussa bin Maimun ibn Abdallah al-Qurtubi al-Israili - the Jewish rabbi who wrote all/most his books in Arabic.

Maybe you should propose to start an interfaith dialogue with him :D. I do not know what your religion is, but since R. Zalman is both a Rabbi and a Sheikh I guess the dialogue would be interfaith by definition :)

I have just started reading about Sufism. Do you have any thoughts about why R. Zalman would have chosen that particular aspect of Islam to seek leadership within ?

Also, I am wondering why he chose that above the Eastern religions ?

Also, I am wondering why he chose that above the Eastern religions ?
Islam is a Abrahamic religion, a continuation of the old Prophetic Tradition. Abraham = Ibrahim.

Do you have any thoughts about why R. Zalman would have chosen that particular aspect of Islam to seek leadership within ?
I'm thinking it was great timing. The new Sufi center in the US represented possibilities for energizing a modern take on Sufism. Reb Zalman may have seen comparable possibilities for the Jewish tradition. He's associated with the Jewish Renewal Movement, I believe.

A few months ago I was searching about for Jewish sufis too. Some interesting links I found....

Lineage History
Inspirations and Creative Thoughts: Pir Zalman Sulayman Schachter-Shalomi | Reb Zalman, the Sufi Shaykh
Inspirations and Creative Thoughts: Interview with Reb Zalman | on Mystic Experience and Mysticism for a New Humanity

Do you have any thoughts about why R. Zalman would have chosen that particular aspect of Islam to seek leadership within ?
You can achieve "The Essence" without losing "your form", which is kind of, very satisfying. It seems this is what he is saying here.
Reb Zalman Among the Sufis of Hevron

Also, I am wondering why he chose that above the Eastern religions
I guess its because eastern religions seem too remote from a Jewish perspective. Islam is more like next-door-cousin-neighbor, & has been like this for centuries. There is a long history of co-existence between Islam & Judaism. I dont think Jewish thought evolved so much under any state/empire that it did under the Islamic ones (Cyrus might be the only exception)

Farhan,

What's your take on Universal Sufism, R' Zalman's lineage? I was under the impression that many Muslims don't view it as real sufism because it's not within Islam, much in the same way that many Jews do not view non-Jewish kabbalah as kabbalah. I do understand R' Zalman's own pesonal approach may be a bit different than that of Universal Sufism given the way he communicated with traditional sufis in that last link. That seems to go along with his thinking on deep ecumenism.

Avi,

I read the backstory to all of that a while ago. It's on the lineage page farhan linked to, under the heading "The Inayati-Maimuni Lineage", first paragraph. It seems from that paragraph that he hadn't been pursuing any title at all. It sounds similar to how he'd accepted communion at a Church, substituting kosher wine and challah. He said he felt comfortable doing so there because of the perspectives of the people involved. They didn't see it as changing his status, but as a way of sharing together in spiritual practice. That from what I have read is at the root of his interfaith activities, getting beyond talking to sharing spiritual experiences with members of other religions.

-- Dauer

Is this a normal Interfaith practice - tugging at a rabbi's (Zalman's) beard? :eek:

RZ060571_300px.JPG

Back