Arabic language translations

Amica

Reaction score
:) Salaam--

I heard and read that Arabic language is difficult to translate into other languages. One of the hardest to translate they say is the Holy Qur'an. Why is it so? Is it because of its poetic language? I need some better understanding of this.

I am not a native Arabic speaker and have hard time memorizing the meaning of the translations of the surahs that I recite in prayers. This makes it hard for me to concentrate, because as I am reciting the prayers I attempt to remember what the verses mean. Very often I would stumble and then my mind wonders away. :( Can a Muslim pray in their own native language? Many have told me no (and I never tried to recite surahs in my native language during salats). Wouldn't make sense to be able to actually fully understand what one is saying in salat? Allah Almighty understands all languages.
Please do not condemn me, I am just asking. :)

I heard and read that Arabic language is difficult to translate into other languages.
Semitic & SinoTibetan languages dont look good when translated into any IndoEuropean language. All these three linguistic tribes are too different from one another. Otherwise translating Arabic into Hebrew or Chinese into Japanese is easy.

One of the hardest to translate they say is the Holy Qur'an. Why is it so? Is it because of its poetic language? I need some better understanding of this.
The more eloquent a work of poetry gets, the more difficult it is to translate it. You must have some poetic works in your native language, Try translating them into English & they will always look ugly (Despite the fact that English & SouthSlavic are almost like cousin languages). Also Quran is one of the most laconic & aesthetical books around, its very difficult to "decompress" it.

I am not a native Arabic speaker and have hard time memorizing the meaning of the translations of the surahs that I recite in prayers. This makes it hard for me to concentrate, because as I am reciting the prayers I attempt to remember what the verses mean. Very often I would stumble and then my mind wonders away. Can a Muslim pray in their own native language? Many have told me no (and I never tried to recite surahs in my native language during salats). Wouldn't make sense to be able to actually fully understand what one is saying in salat? Allah Almighty understands all languages.
There is a hadith somewhere about Salman Farsi giving his people a translation of Sura Fatiha in Persian & allowing them to recite it in their language, don’t exactly know about the authenticity of this hadith. I don’t think it’s a good idea to change anything in ritual prayer either. The moment translation in prayer gets allowed, it will cause more chaos among muslims. Imagine a congregation of people from 10 different linguistic backgrounds forcing the Imam to recite in their languages. So if it's in Arabic, then its better kept that way.

All you need to do is to learn the meanings of 5 Surahs, not that hard IMO. Keep doing what you are doing & slowly your mind will learn to be "aware" of the meanings rather than trying to access them from some other compartments of brain. Practice converts acquired skills into reflexes (That’s how samurais used to do it :)). And concentration too is a skill that needs to be learnt (It usually doesn't come naturally).

Just go slow & be patient (& steadfast). Learn a few root words everyday. It wont take more than a few months. There are word by word translations, concordance, dictionaries, even Arabic lessons available on the net. Try these links

emuslim - Message of Islam
www.openburhan.com
Al Quran word for word Arabic English translation
| Project Root List | Quran Concordance, Grammar and Dictionary in one!
Arabic: al-Ghazali's Website

And get a decent translation of Quran, that’s makes learning fun (I usually recommend the one by Muhammad Asad or Abdul Hakim Murad. Cleary is also good, although devoid of any explanations).

Salaam--
Thank you so much. I will check out the links. May Allah SWT bless you!

Salam aleykum wr wb Amica

I was having the same problem, my mind would wander and I didn't feel connected to Allah (swt).

So my husband wrote out the transliteration of each part of the prayer and under each line in a different colour he wrote the English meaning.

We just put that next to my prayer mat and I simply read from it. I was amazed how quickly I not only learned the Arabic but also understood the translation.

Try it, it might help you too.

Back