Are there any vegans in this forum ?

You have to eat some form of life right... And they would be classed as "animal life forms" *shrugs*

And there is no living beings killed doing this?
Define being. If you are to concern yourself with the screaming potato as it is being dug or the apple as it is being plucked or the celery as it is severed from its roots....yes..

But your previous statement refered to animals...

But you could always check out the Jane's, they wait until a fruit has dropped, they do not kill anything....

maybe breatharian is the way to go

haha…recently bought my very first vegan cookbook (The Heretic's Guide to Vegan Cookery by Andy Murray) and on the cover it says “Not suitable for breatharians” :rolleyes:

s.

I saw the Pam Anderson roast a few nights back which she was doing for PETA (to further her cause she endured an hour of insulting vulgarity).
They played this video:
[youtube]xOFRRZglGFI[/youtube]

reading post #17 got me to think of this....thanks there....17th (what a coincidence:cool:;))

Wrong.....common misconception, you need to cover your essential amino acids and you will be fine. This can be done with beans and other proteins, no animal products needed.

Vulgar Delusions indeed.

Legumes are known to be rich in amino acids. The German Army once issued an emergency food "sausage", I believe it was called "erbsworst", made of compressed pea meal in the time period of the "Great War." There were many problems associated with this "sausage" when used as an emergency ration and so it was discontinued.

While legumes do indeed contain a large portion of amino acids, and would seem to be an ideal source for same, the unfortunate, and oft un-reported, aspect is that most legumes are inefficient for the human body to assimilate in that most of the proteins are of a form that need to be converted into those proteins needed by the human organism.

Amino acids form a large group of compounds, many thousands in number, yet the human organism's requirements of but a few hands full of specific raw proteins from that group of thousands is under reported, if reported at all, in the general media.

This leads the ill informed to reach the conclusion that "proteins are proteins" and if legumes are rich in proteins they must be good for you. A similar rationale was used by the German Army, as indicated above, and discarded after "field tests" had shown to them their lacks in their primary research.

I have been advised, some time ago, that a researcher has been experimenting with the genetic manipulation of the potato to add to this primarily starchy tuber those specific amino acids known as useful to ready assimilation by the human organism. The present status of such research is currently unknown to me at this time.

Suspicious Reference Sources
"Vegetarians: The breakfast of Carnivores."
The Supportors of PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
"There is a place for vegetables, Right next to the Meat and potatoes."
"Veggies? Veggies? I didn't fight my way up the food chain to eat veggies!"
Rocky Mountains! Not suitable for Breatharians.

Vulgar Delusions indeed.

Legumes are known to be rich in amino acids. The German Army once issued an emergency food "sausage", I believe it was called "erbsworst", made of compressed pea meal in the time period of the "Great War." There were many problems associated with this "sausage" when used as an emergency ration and so it was discontinued.

While legumes do indeed contain a large portion of amino acids, and would seem to be an ideal source for same, the unfortunate, and oft un-reported, aspect is that most legumes are inefficient for the human body to assimilate in that most of the proteins are of a form that need to be converted into those proteins needed by the human organism.

Amino acids form a large group of compounds, many thousands in number, yet the human organism's requirements of but a few hands full of specific raw proteins from that group of thousands is under reported, if reported at all, in the general media.

This leads the ill informed to reach the conclusion that "proteins are proteins" and if legumes are rich in proteins they must be good for you. A similar rationale was used by the German Army, as indicated above, and discarded after "field tests" had shown to them their lacks in their primary research.

I have been advised, some time ago, that a researcher has been experimenting with the genetic manipulation of the potato to add to this primarily starchy tuber those specific amino acids known as useful to ready assimilation by the human organism. The present status of such research is currently unknown to me at this time.

Suspicious Reference Sources
"Vegetarians: The breakfast of Carnivores."
The Supportors of PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
"There is a place for vegetables, Right next to the Meat and potatoes."
"Veggies? Veggies? I didn't fight my way up the food chain to eat veggies!"
Rocky Mountains! Not suitable for Breatharians.

there may be some truth in the pythagorean dictate that beans are not good for you then; nowadays we know that beans must be taken with grains to get the complete protein assimilation.

I eat meat, and vegetables. A healthy balance. I couldnt cope with being a vegan, I love fruit, and most of what western society basically puts on my dinner plate. Im lucky that i dont have medical issues that dictate my eating habits, as that would be the only thing that would put me off eating certain things. Favourite meal of all time, would be a Lovely roast lamb, cooked with a sprinkle of mint and garlic, roast potatoes, pumpkin and onion, served with minted peas, oh and dont forget the gravy.
Hmmmm, now Im hungry.

Thank you for the favor of a reply, NativeAstral.
there may be some truth in the pythagorean dictate that beans are not good for you then; nowadays we know that beans must be taken with grains to get the complete protein assimilation.
Not to be a boor but to reduce the record's curvature, one might better state that "to obtain "a more complete" protein assimilation than from legumes alone."

It is a pity at that which is presented these days as nutritional instruction, especially to those who would label themselves as "nutritionists." (well, at least "here in the States")

Most of these studies do not reveal that the protein obtained from animal products is assimilated 10+% more efficiently in the human organism than those proteins which are obtained from vegetable product sources.:(

Could it be that the human animal is 10% or so more the carnivore than it is the herbivore?:confused:

Yet it may be worthwhile to note that it is not so important as to which particular foodstuffs one may consume as it is that percentage of those consumed foodstuffs that our bodies actually assimilate with the least adverse impact on the system that is the truer test.:)

Do you think McD's is cruel to chickens (see the video) ?

McCruelty Hits the Web | NBC Chicago
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/McCruelty-Hits-the-Web-55420717.html

No, McD's is not cruel to chickens. Although the commercial poultry grower's and processor's methods are less than ideal.

Are there any ethical issues related to killing chickens ? How about eating them ?

Errmm, no, as I would consider eating them alive as rather barbaric not to mention unhealthy. Remeber, poultry should always be well cooked, as salmonella is a rather unpleasant experience.

Are you a fan of PETA ?

Considering that the orgin of the word "fan, comes from the term fanatic, I can say with confidence, NO. I view all formms of fanaticism as highly questionable and supect.

What if the gov't required that we eat tofu burgers ?

Why on earth would the government activly choose to start a civil war? Which is what this action would amount to. And please remember, the carnivors and omnivors are usually quite well versed in how to obtain their foodsuffs, even if it runs. ;)

Why can't we all be vegans ?

Because my dear, there are those of us who require animal protiens for optimum health. Veggie alone, do not cut it.

CliffDweller
Omnivore

No, McD's is not cruel to chickens.

So you'd be happy to a chicken employee of McXs? :eek:

Because my dear, there are those of us who require animal protiens for optimum health.
Are you saying some people have different nutritional requirements than others?

Veggie alone, do not cut it. Omnivore
Yes, we are omnivores, we are not carnivores, we do not need meat. What does a varied vegetarian diet lack?

s.

Because my dear, there are those of us who require animal protiens for optimum health. Veggie alone, do not cut it.

Hi Caveman, err, I mean CliffDweller,

As we discussed earlier on this thread, animal proteins are not needed for optimum health.

By the way, why don't you join us over on the feminist thread, some of the ladies over there will make chicken McNuggets out of you !! :D

Prepare to ignore away..

I'll let you look up your own stats, no use posting them for you, if you won't review. You are a smart individual though. Borrow from the library (actually you better buy it, you'll want to lend it to your friends which you love) Diet for a New America...the man gave up his inheritance to the Baskin Robbins fortune by writing this book.

But you are talking nonsense. You think chicken lay eggs for your omelette? No they do this to procreate, to create little chickens.
Hens will lay eggs (albeit infertile eggs) even if there is no rooster around to fertilize them. (Yes, a chicken egg is a chicken ovum, and a hen will produce them whether she breeds or not.)

CliffDweller
Omnivore
require?? I think not, it is convenient and tasty and carnivores loved that book 'Diet for your blood type', thinking it proved they needed meat where it was actually just a marketing tool for a line of vitamins.
In a recent interview Olympic track star Carl Lewis, who was a vegan during his best years, says he believes that "most athletes have the worst diet in the world, and they compete in spite of it."
Hens will lay eggs (albeit infertile eggs) even if there is no rooster around to fertilize them. (Yes, a chicken egg is a chicken ovum, and a hen will produce them whether she breeds or not.)
Yes they will for a time... They will lay at first in antipation of producing a chick but then if no rooster and the eggs rot, they will stop. So to kick start them again, you need a rooster to get them fired up. Now of course if you take the eggs every day....they'll keep trying, but it isn't to feed humans....

Anyone who may be skeptical about the strength, endurance and general health of people choosing a vegetarian diet might consider these vegetarian athletes:

Ridgely Abele
Winner of eight national championships in karate

Surya Bonaly
Olympic figure skating champion

Brendan Brazier
Professional Ironman triathlete

Peter Burwash
Davis Cup winner and professional tennis star

Andreas Cahling
Swedish champion bodybuilder, Olympic gold medallist in the ski jump

Chris Campbell
Olympic wrestling champion

Nicky Cole
First woman to walk to the North Pole

Ruth Heidrich
Six-time Ironwoman, USA track and field Master's champion

Keith Holmes
World-champion middleweight boxer

Desmond Howard
Professional football star, Heisman trophy winner

Peter Hussing
European super heavy-weight boxing champion

Scott Jurek
Ultramarathoner, Course Record Holder at Badwater and Western States
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Wiki[/FONT]
Audio interview with Animal Voices: MP3
Debbie Lawrence
World record holder, women's 5K racewalk

Sixto Linares
World record holder, 24-hour triathlon

Cheryl Marek and Estelle Gray
World record holders, cross-country tandem cycling

Ingra Manecki
World champion discus thrower

Bill Manetti
Power-lifting champion

Ben Matthews
U.S. Master's marathon champion

Dan Millman
World champion gymnast

Martina Navratilova
Champion tennis player

Paavo Nurmi
Long-distance runner, winner of nine Olympic medals and 20 world records

Bill Pearl
Four-time Mr. Universe

Bill Pickering
World record-holding swimmer

Stan Price
World weightlifting record holder, bench press

Murray Rose
Swimmer, winner of many Olympic gold medals and world records

Dave Scott
Six-time winner of the Ironman triathlon

Art Still
Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs MVP defensive end, Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame

Jane Wetzel
U.S. National marathon champion

Charlene Wong Williams
Olympic champion figure skater
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]BrendanBrazier.com[/FONT]

Know of more vegan or vegetarian athletes? PLEASE email us! This project will be kicking off Summer 2007.

Excerpted from The Food Revolution, by John Robbins, published by Camaro Press.

SeatteGal, Snoopy, what's up??

Why didn't you warn me that the food fight, er - that is to say, "Sectarian War" was being moved to this thread?

Now I have to lug all the sweet, dripping and sticky confections from the Far Eastern threads and all the camels are rented out during this Labour Day week end. Blasted inconvenient I say.

Hi Caveman, err, I mean CliffDweller,

(Chuckle)

As we discussed earlier on this thread, animal proteins are not needed for optimum health.
For a great number of people this is correct, but what I am speaking of is those who do not posses the ability to efficiently process vegetable proteins. Some people do and some people don't, those that don't eat meat.

By the way, why don't you join us over on the feminist thread, some of the ladies over there will make chicken McNuggets out of you !! :D
Roflmao

I sincerely doubt that. ;);)

Back