Are there any vegans in this forum ?

[/URL]
Because my dear, there are those of us who require animal protiens for optimum health. Veggie alone, do not cut it.

CliffDweller
Omnivore

Here one should see that there is a movement out of the realm of generalities and down into the level of specifics

Are you saying some people have different nutritional requirements than others?

It has long been known that while similar, humanity does display individual characteristics. This should be readily apparent when one reads various posts found within the broad spectrum of threads within these Interfaith forums concerning foodstuffs and food allergies.

Yes, we are omnivores, we are not carnivores, we do not need meat. What does a varied vegetarian diet lack?

Is it that the vegetables are lacking in certain substances or is it not just as likely that vegetables may contain certain un-wanted or potentially harmful substances to an individual? A failure to take these factors into account is negligent in the least and raises considerable ethical questions of its own.

Most of these studies do not reveal that the protein obtained from animal products is assimilated 10+% more efficiently in the human organism than those proteins which are obtained from vegetable product sources.:(

The efficiency alluded to in the above is due in part to those substances that are lacking in the animal protein sources yet which are present in the vegetable protein sources.

Yet the increased consumption of animal flesh remains as an important consideration to the evolutionary advancement of the species.

Further, the great gains in the field of knowledge of nutrition concerned itself with the elimination of dietary deficiencies that were once present especially in those nations where vegetarianism was practised on a large scale. Epidemics of Beri-beri, Rickets, etc, are now, and have been for close to 100 years, the rarity rather than the norm.

It has long been known that while similar, humanity does display individual characteristics. This should be readily apparent when one reads various posts found within the broad spectrum of threads within these Interfaith forums concerning foodstuffs and food allergies.

Perhaps this all hinges on priorities and ethics. No “individual foodstuff characteristic or allergy” would cause me to eat meat. Where there’s a will there’s a way, and all that.

Is it that the vegetables are lacking in certain substances or is it not just as likely that vegetables may contain certain un-wanted or potentially harmful substances to an individual? A failure to take these factors into account is negligent in the least and raises considerable ethical questions of its own.
A varied vegetarian / vegan diet promotes a long and healthy life, all other things (such as exercise and healthcare) being equal. That doesn’t seem so negligent or unethical. Never any harmful stuff in meat is there??!!:rolleyes:

Yet the increased consumption of animal flesh remains as an important consideration to the evolutionary advancement of the species.
The increased consumption of animal flesh is skewing the food chain, we are not the carnivores at the top. Ever more areas given over to grazing land for cattle to provide more and more meat is having untold ecological and human cost. All that land to create a few burgers could be used to provide a lot more food for a lot more people.

Further, the great gains in the field of knowledge of nutrition concerned itself with the elimination of dietary deficiencies that were once present especially in those nations where vegetarianism was practised on a large scale. Epidemics of Beri-beri, Rickets, etc, are now, and have been for close to 100 years, the rarity rather than the norm.
But what if one has access to a broad variety of foodstuffs?

I suppose my bottom-line is that if one has access to a variety of foods and knows how the dead animal got onto the plate, when it is unnecessary to eat their flesh but do it anyway just for the “taste” I am at a loss. Why not eat dead babies?

What I love the most is when the animal loving British take their children to a public farm to see the lovely lambs and then they go into the café and eat the fresh-to-plate meat. How do they explain that? Is this part of the desensitization process?

s.

Back