A'Salam A'laykom

Rayyan

Reaction score
hy guys, i'm new here :D

i'd like to start off by introducing my self, my name is Rayyan, i'm from Saudi Arabia :)

Namaste and A'laykom A'Salam,

Welcome to the forum Rayyan. You are correct on some other threads we only know of Saudi Arabia that which is told to us. In the news today is of some young man telling of his sexual exploits on TV and now in prison after some lashes. Another topic is about a Palestinian woman who died of breast cancer because she couldn't get treatment as speaking of breasts, self examination, and the taboos surrounding the female body is hampering diagnosis and treatment. Evidently one doctor told her to loosen her bra.

We'd be appreciative of your views on these subjects and more as you may have a differing perspective being as where you are and the laws you live under.

Salaam--

Welcome Rayyan. I am originally from Bosnia but have lived in the United States for a while.

Wil--what kind of a 'welcome' is that? We do not know much about Rayyan (what his/her views are, whether she/he supports human rights or not, etc?). Why do we always assume that when a person is from Saudi Arabia, that they must be 'shallow' and 'extremist' folks? Just because the regime is oppressive, does not mean the people are.

amica said:
Why do we always assume that when a person is from Saudi Arabia, that they must be 'shallow' and 'extremist' folks? Just because the regime is oppressive, does not mean the people are.

Well said.

Wa alycum alslam wa rahmat allah wa barakath

welcome my brother in interfaith forums

I'm sure you well meet nice group here

Wil--what kind of a 'welcome' is that? We do not know much about Rayyan (what his/her views are, whether she/he supports human rights or not, etc?). Why do we always assume that when a person is from Saudi Arabia, that they must be 'shallow' and 'extremist' folks? Just because the regime is oppressive, does not mean the people are.
Namaste Amica,

I did not assume anything that you assumed I did. I was interested in the perspective and understanding...I surely didn't think anyone was shallow or extremist.

I meet someone at a party, and they say they are from Alaska, I give them a poor welcome and ask what they think of Sarah Palin, why because I asssume they may have more knowledge than I on the subject, not less! I meet someone from Italy and ask if they've seen the Vatican and the various ruins and wonder where I should visit when I arrive...why?? Because I assume they know their country better than I.

I encounter someone on an interfaith forum from another land and make the assumption that they have a different perspective, one I can learn from....and because of that somehow you read into it an insult of their intelligence?

Back