Interesting Online Shiur about the Amidah and Jewish Prayer in General

dauer

Reaction score
I'm following along this shiur from Yeshivat Hadar. If anyone decides to follow along as well I thought it might provide some good discussion points:

Mechon Hadar - How Can I Pray What I Don't Believe? A Case Study - Liturgy

28 minutes in the primary point that seems worth discussing is the idea, presented by Reuven Kimelman, that the meaning is found not in the liturgy, but in the dialogue between the liturgy and the Tanach. I like that notion because it presents the rabbis as in dialogue with the Tanach which is really what was going on.

Well I suppose other interesting questions arrive when looking in more depth, eg what do you get out of line 2's connection with Ex 3:5-6? What do you think is happening in the intertext there and what happens for you in the intertext? Why do you think the rabbis chose that particular passage as a source?

Another talking point:

The shiur skips over 4) of page 3, I'm guessing due to time constraints. What do you think the connection is between El Elyon of Avot and psalms 78:35-39? I think it's emphasizing that we err and God forgives, and as such the nature of teshuva, which is on the heels of an emphasis on being like God in doing justice for the unfortunate and downtrodden. So it's to me as if first we're being reminded of our obligations to other people and then, because in the face of that how can we not recognize that we don't always live up to our high ideals, are reminded that God is forgiving. But I think that even further there's something about the phrase El Elyon that says we shouldn't expect to live up to those ideals, only to pursue them, because God is truly on a different level as it were. Perhaps that notion is emphasized at the end of the quoted passage where it says "He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breath that does not return."

I actually think it's interesting that he opens up an alternative El Elyon in the context of the geniza fragment, and it's an earlier El Elyon. It might be interesting to explore, and it doesn't seem so explored there, what's going on between the nusachot for avot, why each went differently and, if there is any validity to intertextual interpretation of the amidah, if there is some implicit disagreement, that maybe our avot was disagreeing with the other by excluding koneh shamayim vaaretz, by excluding that particular biblical reference in favor of another. Although at the same time, why say that the el elyon provided by Rabbi Kaunfer from psalms is the right El Elyon either? On his part he's probably trying to provide an interpretation that all seems to mesh together, and that makes sense that he'd do so. But why not another El Elyon or, is El Elyon an example of something that ought not be understood intertextually?

I finished listening to the shiur. I think for myself I might actually go back to the site and follow along the rest of the series because this was very engaging. I have one other thought. Hopefully someone, you don't have to be Jewish, will give a listen and participate in this thread. I have one other comment to make. Rabbi Kaunfer connects magen avraham with Gen 14:17-24 and 15:1 where the way in which God acts as a magen can be read as by shielding Avram from doubt. I like that interpretation of the text, but if following that interpretation perhaps a closer reading is warranted. Specifically, Avram's doubts would be about God providing for him, that his servant Eliezer -- perhaps paralleling the servants to whom aware was given a few verses ago -- would become his inheritor. Rabbi Kaunfer does relate back to this but then I think makes too general a statement. I think the type of doubt that this reading points to is doubt about whether or not the attributes that we relate to God are accurate descriptors of His actions toward us, doubts that maybe we can't rely on God as much as the sources of our tradition suggest. Of course, by giving it a closer meaning, the accessibility of the paradigm represented by magen avraham would be less accessible because the gamut of modern doubts is much broader. So I like his interpretation more, but I think that, if one tried to read closer to the text and went with the doubt interpretation, then the end result would be a more restrictive definition.

Dauer, this was difficult; but I made some comments:

#1 The opening dialogue was entertaining: both the speaker and the questions that people had. Some had questions about things that offended them or that seemed out of sync, and the instructor pointed out that these particular items were actually openings to intertext dialogue. Not sure if I understood the idea of intertext, but I believe these students with their questions were dialoging with the Tanach in analogy to how the Rabbis writing the Amidah were.

#2 Line 2's connection with Exo 3:5-6. Moses wished to understand how the bush burned without being consumed, but instead he was told to remove his sandals, seemingly at first so he couldn't get closer. Around minute 38 in the audio, the instructor talks about the failure of adjectives to describe G!d, and this might relate to reverence as the removal of Moses shoes. Rather than just being forbidden to go closer, the removal of the shoes could be a recognition of an inability to do so. Walking forward would not help him to see better how the bush was not burned.

#3 No idea, though your description sounds good. I really had thought this was generational not personal. From time to time you all think you can relax. You stop keeping the faith, but then things go wrong. You all realize that you need to get back to it. Then things get better, and you start to relax again.

#4 Skipping this post.

#5 Do you think Avraham's doubts were about whether he would be provided for? I thought it would be about whether what he was doing was right. I'm sure people must have questioned his motives.

dream said:
Not sure if I understood the idea of intertext, but I believe these students with their questions were dialoging with the Tanach in analogy to how the Rabbis writing the Amidah were.

The idea is, if the text of the amidah is sourced from the tanach (and it often is) then one way of interpreting the text of the amidah is by looking at the context in which certain phrases appear and considering why the rabbis chose those particular passages. That requires looking back at those passages and then looking at how the rabbis understood those passages. He's not presenting it as the only way to interpret the amidah but as an alternative way that might make it theologically more accessible, rather than requiring excising lots of the text out.

Around minute 38 in the audio, the instructor talks about the failure of adjectives to describe G!d, and this might relate to reverence as the removal of Moses shoes. Rather than just being forbidden to go closer, the removal of the shoes could be a recognition of an inability to do so.

I think that's a really interesting idea, and makes me think of something else which is that they sourced this at the beginning of the Amidah. One thing that the lesson didn't touch so thoroughly is the idea of the Amidah as approaching God. It did deal with the bowing that happens here, how the knees are bent at baruch, bow at atah, raise at Adonai, and how that's different from moses who hides his face. But there's also the idea that the bowing and all of that is to mirror the way one would approach a king because during the amidah that's essentially what's going on. And I think there's a sense that the taking off of shoes, the ritual that shapes sacred space, that says this place is holy, is going on here as well. It mirrors Balaam's blessing where it says how beautiful are your ohalim, your tents, and then that becomes your mishkanot, your dwelling places for the Divine just as Yaakov becomes Yisrael. There's a transformation going on that gets reemphasized here of the space where the prayers happen.

I really had thought this was generational not personal

In Judaism teshuva is a personal process of making mistakes and growing from them but there is also an additional notion of shared accountability. Also, interestingly and referring back to an earlier passage, where it says Elohei Avraham, Elohei Yitzchak etc, there's a hasidic interpretation that says it does so because each had a very different relationship with God, and so too, we should all find our own personal relationships which may very well vary from those of our ancestors. But at the same, God is still the God of our ancestors. It is only the nature of our personal relationship that is different on account of the fact that we are different.

Do you think Avraham's doubts were about whether he would be provided for? I thought it would be about whether what he was doing was right. I'm sure people must have questioned his motives.

It seems to me somewhat explicit in the text that they're about being provided for. After he makes sure his men are provided for, God reassures him that He will be a shield. And then we have Avram complaining that he might die with no offspring, and his heir will be his servant. I don't think that's worry about disapproval, but about God providing for him. Then we have God's response saying, you'll be provided for. You'll have an heir. Then we have even more questioning where he's asking, "How am I gonna even know that I'm to take the land?" So he's doubting God's promises again and again. And when you think about it, a bit later with Sedom, he's challenging God. A little different but there's this tension for him.

-- Dauer

Only listened to first 15 minutes so far. I liked the teaching style, very active learning approach. The women immediately jumped on the sexist part, I liked that too :D. I agreed with the comments about G-d's lovingkindness. Also the comment about G-d in the high places. Some nice critical analysis.

Dauer, are you familiar with Bloom's Taxonomy ?

Avi,

Thanks to Prof. Google I'm now vaguely familiar, but I'm guessing you have some more specific reason for asking related to the teaching style maybe?

Sure, the Rabbi is a master teacher. Bloom's taxonomy explains that learning happens on different hierarchical levels. I think you will see these hierarchical levels exhibited in his class lessons.

So as someone who does a bit of teaching yourself, would you say that you're feeling pedagogy envy? :/

(I think I've just derailed my own thread.)

Back