No Marriage in Heaven ?

S

soleil10

Many Christians believe that marriage is exclusively an earthly arrangement. It is temporal only. Traditional wedding vows have reflected this belief: “until death do us part.”

Ironically, this misconception of thousands of years is one element that stands at the root of the present demise of the family. It is also a substantial barrier preventing Christians from understanding the purpose of creation, the primary mission of Jesus and the purpose of his return. However, Jesus does appear to indicate that there is no marriage in Heaven and that we will be single and unattached “like the angels.”

It is rather paradoxical because most Christians, naturally, in their heart long to be with a departed spouse. Most have a deep hope to “meet again.” Most would feel deprived if they could not relish again, in heaven, the precious love they had shared with their spouse on earth.

Matthew 22:23-32

At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

This is the verse that many Christians cite. Jesus is speaking to a group of Sadducees. The Sadducees, unlike the Pharisees, did not believe in the resurrection. They were inquiring of Jesus to determine with whom a woman would be married in heaven if she had been married seven times on earth. Of course, their only motive was to try to confound Jesus.
Notice that Jesus never says that there is no marriage “in heaven.” He says that there is no marriage “at the resurrection!” This is a significant difference.

If you will examine Luke 20:27-38, you will find the same story. However Luke is a bit clearer. He writes, “We will be like the angels, for we will never die.” In other words, our similarity to the angels “in heaven” is not that we will be unmarried as the angels, but rather that we will never die. Matthew’s expression, however, seems to suggest that our similarity to angels “in heaven” is that we will be single as the angels. This is incorrect.

What, then, does Jesus mean when he says that we will not marry “at the resurrection”? The course of resurrection, as with the course of restoration, is the course of “re-creation.” The course of “re-creation” follows the same principle as the course of “creation.” Adam and Eve were to grow to perfection in the position of brother and sister.

To “eat from the tree of life” is the ideal of perfection and the prerequisite for fulfillment of the second blessing (multiply).

In the beginning, there would be no marriage until the conclusion of the creation process to the tree of life, that is, the first blessing.

Likewise, in the course of resurrection, there is no marriage until the conclusion of the process of resurrection: restoration to eat from the tree of life. Since God “blocked the way to the tree of life,” (Genesis 3:24) there has been “no marriage.” This is why no child could be born without the stain of sin. “All born of Adam” were without life.

Thus, there will be no true marriage until mankind can resurrect and reclaim the right to eat from the tree of life. This is the hope of the Second Coming, as stated in Revelation 2:7 and 22:14

What do you think ? Are you married for eternity or until physical death separates us ?

Its an extreme and overconfident position to take Soleil, but it has its positives. I would think angels were single so that resurrected's were single. I've met people who've thought otherwise -- mostly married people. I took Ecclesiastes 3:18 as an indicator that marriages were temporary, since angels are not beasts but people are. Its not a solid piece of reasoning, but what is? After all people can get divorced and do, and they are cruelly separated when one of them dies. Plus, when you have children especially girls, its a grab basket as to whether they will have a good life or not. The same goes for which children will be believers and which will not. Did you say earlier in another thread that entire families were together or just married couples?

Ecclesiastes 3:18 I said in my heart with regard to the sons of men that God is
testing them to show them that they are but beasts.

Still doesn't answer the question of which of the seven brothers the wife will be.
I think that it will as to be with:
Did she had children with only one of the brothers ?
Which one does she loves the most ?

Its an extreme and overconfident position to take Soleil, but it has its positives. I would think angels were single so that resurrected's were single. I've met people who've thought otherwise -- mostly married people. I took Ecclesiastes 3:18 as an indicator that marriages were temporary, since angels are not beasts but people are. Its not a solid piece of reasoning, but what is? After all people can get divorced and do, and they are cruelly separated when one of them dies. Plus, when you have children especially girls, its a grab basket as to whether they will have a good life or not. The same goes for which children will be believers and which will not. Did you say earlier in another thread that entire families were together or just married couples?
We go there as couples because 2 (1/2)= 1. I would think that we would want to be close to our lineage and descendants.

We go there as couples because 2 (1/2)= 1. I would think that we would want to be close to our lineage and descendants.
Namaste S10,

Where does all this come from?? Who are you a desciple of??

I'm just askin, as none of this comes close to resonating with me. I'd like though to take a look at their other afterlife and this life concepts....

Ok I remember now, and have looked you up. Started in 1954 and based in Korea.

Yes I had forgot as well, he indicated Unification Church....Unification...the mass marriages...it is starting to all come together..

According to the account, she didn't have children. That's part of the conditions of the debate. (Matt 22:24 - "Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him." - in reference to Deuteronomy 25:5-6).

But why would it depend on which one she loves most? What if the one she loves most is not the one who loves her most among the brothers?

According to the account, she didn't have children. That's part of the conditions of the debate. (Matt 22:24 - "Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him." - in reference to Deuteronomy 25:5-6).
But why would it depend on which one she loves most? What if the one she loves most is not the one who loves her most among the brothers?
I agree with you.

The consideration has been put forward that the verse does not point out heaven yet the Resurrection. But what is resurrection if not a transient process into something totally different. You know there are talks of Gods and Goddess for thousands of years. Just because we are told not to talk about them does not mean they did not or do not exist. My point being marriage is a man made thing. The early kings and queens took whomever they chose to have as well as formal ceremony to take some strategic advantage of elitist union. the common folk never married it was more a polyamourmous celebration of fertility and life.it was only when structure and order and importance became more prolific in servitude to some "holy ordained ruling person" that marriage took its true form as it is with all the pomp and ceremony and taxes and creeds. Gods domain with the transformational power of His manifestation on this planet will be mind blowing to comprehend. However from what i have read from the bible and what i have observed and studied about the historical rise of mankind over the centuries if not millennia's until now can be put into one simple equation. If we don't care for our earth in the marriage to our mother then we have missed the whole plot of what Jesus was trying to show us in the first place. Its love not judgement that exists in heaven. We have to prepare folks. we have to understand we have to rebuild the temple before Jesus returns. Science through the inspiration of imagination and the holy spirit has brought us to quantify our existence. we take stops and measures, we question everything, then we create something that reflects our slowly evolving understandings. If heaven on earth is coming to pass as prophesied by lots and lots of peoples, not just the Hebrews, then we need to absorb the truth of what is actually happening. Marriage as we know it to be on earth will not exist in heaven. Genetics has been going on behind the scene since at least of what i know the second world war. There have been amazing technological developments suppressed simply because of the greed of or earthly kings and queens. They on the whole appear to publically acknowledge our God of Love however behind closed doors and in very private chambers and dungeons practice unmentionable hideous acts and rituals. This is the reality of what we live in in this broken world. So anyway the good things of science will come to the forefront very soon. we will have perfected bodies that live in a perpetual state of rejuvenation. the realm of earth is very peaceful and loving again. the other heavens are for some of us who dare to accept the greater realizations of God in his infinite glorious wonder and so on and so on. If we think we are all going to become angels well then we had all better start living like them now. who needs to be married to love one another?:)

Back