Pyramid burial site found in South America

Dream

Reaction score
BBC News - Ancient pyramid tomb found in Mexico

Interestingly, they say they have found an ancient pyramid burial site dating back 2700 years. Its in Mayan country. You know, I have met one or two people that told me the Egyptian burials had some similarities with the Mayan ones; but that was over 5 years ago. This latest find has a body surrounded by precious jade artifacts, a carefully buried woman and baby, and one male body apparently tossed carelessly into the tomb. I guess the first focus should be to see how its connected with South American History, but I am still curious to see if they will find any Egyptian connections.

In case the story page disappears, the names of the interviewed archeologists are Bruce Bachand, Emiliano Gallaga and Lynneth Lowe. The discovery was a joint venture of Brigham Young University, Mexican National Institute of History and Anthropology, and the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Neat, thanks. Yeah, the main problem with seeing any connection between Egyptian and Mayan pyramids was the time gap: Mayans a few centuries AD couldn't have gotten it from Egyptians who hadn't even had any independent Pharaohs let alone pyramid-building ones for a long time, so "coincidence" however lame an explanation it might be has had to do. This early example of a pyramid in Mexico makes it somewhat more reasonable that the idea somehow got across the Atlantic.

It's not incongruous to suppose that Mayan and Egyptian pyramids developed independently - after all, both are generally very different structures based on a common geometric principle.

However, I've also read that while there is no direct proof of connections between these cultures - and let's face it, the Egyptians were not big on sea-faring - there are reported trade connections between the cultures, no doubt through intermediaries, as apparently some Egyptian mummies are claimed to contain cocaine.

It's too academical thought-type: there is ancient American history and there is anciant Eurasian history. Bla-bla-bla...
Why not, if the ancient peoples were in contact like today?! They knew about existing of one another, had their trade, science and so. Their scientists, for ex, architects, traveled from Egypt to Mexico. What's strange in that?

It's too academical thought-type: there is ancient American history and there is anciant Eurasian history. Bla-bla-bla...
Why not, if the ancient peoples were in contact like today?! They knew about existing of one another, had their trade, science and so. Their scientists, for ex, architects, traveled from Egypt to Mexico. What's strange in that?

The entire basis of the "Egypt gave pyramids to the Mayans" fairy tale is racism. Egyptians were seen as "white" or "white enough", while Mayans weren't. Therefore, to "explain" all those architectural wonders in the land of inferior brown people, stupid stories were made up claiming that the Egyptians, the Hebrews, or other sufficiently "white" people were responsible, while the brown subhumans just came along later, or, if they were very lucky, got the privilege of being ruled by the "white" people.

Back