In Irish schools, Catholic Church remains master

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Special Report: In Irish schools, Catholic Church remains master - Yahoo! News--

DUBLIN (Reuters) – Roisin Hyde was five when she was hastily baptized a few days before she started primary school. Hyde's parents were agnostic but because non-Catholics in Ireland had few other places to learn how to read and write, the family latched onto the only option they knew.
Thirty-five years on and Hyde, an architect in Dublin, is struggling over where to educate her own two-year-old son.

"...the number of people who did not trust the Church "at all" rose to 32 percent from just 6 percent in 2001."

--> Wow, that's a lot.

Can we please not copy entire articles, and just link to the news source, please? Don't want the site to be accused of copyright violation, thanks. :)

this is nothing new... I was baptised at the unholy age of seven, precisely so I could go to Catholic school... so too my brother. And we grew up in England! Catholic schools where considered to be better educators of children than state schools, and that belief still exists today.

Personally, I do believe that I received a good standard of education, and perhaps a better standard than that I would have received from state schools in England, but this superior education came with a very large dose of indoctrination and exposure to paedophile priests...

Dogbrain,

I'm afraid that some people use religion as an excuse to become fanatics. Someone once said that more trouble has been caused in the name of religion than all other troubles combined, and I must say I quite agree.

Dogbrain,

I'm afraid that some people use religion as an excuse to become fanatics. Someone once said that more trouble has been caused in the name of religion than all other troubles combined, and I must say I quite agree.

Still though, doesn't reflect on religion at all. No different than someone going on a murder spree, claiming they did it because society made them. Or they were fired from a job. Or their spouse left them. Religions command what they command, and most do not condone violence outside of self defense. Funny though, how everyone tends to forget the COUNTLESS good religion has done.

this is nothing new... I was baptised at the unholy age of seven, precisely so I could go to Catholic school... so too my brother. And we grew up in England! Catholic schools where considered to be better educators of children than state schools, and that belief still exists today.

Personally, I do believe that I received a good standard of education, and perhaps a better standard than that I would have received from state schools in England, but this superior education came with a very large dose of indoctrination and exposure to paedophile priests...
I went to Catholic school as well, but was taught by Nuns, not priests. And I have to say, my state scores far exceeded those of my Public school contemporaries. My education base was much more diverse as well, leading into second languages, music (singing and instrumental), and a healthy dose of competitive sports. Sure we had to go to church at 0600 every morning, and religious classes were part of the curriculum, but it wasn't just about Catholicism.

And we had non Catholics (and non-Christians) as class mates. Everyone learned about everyone else's faith. Catholicism was the biased choice of course, but no one was frowned upon for not being one.

And making fun of someone else was dealt with quickly and SEVERELY by the Nuns...(got the scars on the back of the hands to prove it) :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Maybe I was lucky, and maybe St. Alphonsus was a unique School and Parish...

Back