Book - Taosim - complete reality

O

ork

:)Hi i tried to send an email to Vajradhara with regard to complete reality taoism as i noticed your post on the book of balance and harmony which i hold very important to spiritual work but it wouldnt let me so im asking others aswell.
Im really trying to find others who study and read complete reality taoism - do you know of anyone or anywhere i can exchange ideas or learn.
I feel its essential for me to find people who know this field as although i have read extensively on this field i feel without help im just walking into walls.
Anyway hope this makes sense and if you would like to send me a message feel free to do so.
Kind wishes
Ork

:)
I feel its essential for me to find people who know this field as although i have read extensively on this field i feel without help im just walking into walls.
Ork

Greetings ork.
To paraphrase the child in the film Matrix,

One needs remember that there are no walls.

Taoism is experienced by doing.
Thus reading without the application of concepts often results in a meeting, sometimes head on, with a 'wall' of one's own creation.

Take the time to make, and appreciate, a cup of tea for oneself.

:) with regard to complete reality taoism

the book of balance and harmony which i hold very important to spiritual work

One of the Aspects of The Book of Balance and Harmony<1> is that it combines three areas of study Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism. Should one neglect the study of one of these aspects then the prospects for achievement are much reduced.

Balance is a concept more related to Buddhism where Harmony is a theme found often in Taoism. While these concepts are similar, in that they may lead one to a similar goal, they are from differing philosophical perspectives. The Confucianism aspect of the Complete Reality School is based heavily upon the I Ching. Thus a student of Complete Reality is advised to be versed in the aspects of of all three.

Should one not have started a reference library pertaining to the study of the Complete Reality School it is suggested to have at a minimum the Dhammapada, the I Ching and the Tao Teh Ching.

Mr Vajradhara has indicated, in his various writings in these forums, that specific versions/translations of other related works may prove of use to the student. I believe that it is more than worthwhile to read as many of the posts in the Buddhist/Taoist section of these interfaith forums to assist in the familiarization of the many schools of thought that the student may encounter.

Posting one's queries here does not hurt either.

1> The Book of Balance and Harmony - Thomas Cleary

One of the Aspects of The Book of Balance and Harmony is that it combines three areas of study Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism.

Should one not have started a reference library pertaining to the study of the Complete Reality School it is suggested to have at a minimum the Dhammapada, the I Ching and the Tao Teh Ching.

One of the questions that may arise, given the above sparse listing might be:

"Which works by what authors should I use as references in the pursuit of my studies of Complete Reality?"

While not an authority on the subject, I shall hazard suggesting a minimal reading list for the primary areas of study.

During my own hap-hazard journey in the study of the Tao I have collected multiple translations of certain works, such as the Tao te Ching and the I Ching, however the majority of books in my Taoist Library were translated/written by Thomas Cleary.

Shambhala publishers offer Thomas Cleary's collected works on Taoism in four volumes and they may be obtained from Amazon com at quite the discounted rate. This is the most rapid and least expensive way to build one's Taoist library. Lacking the four volume set mentioned above, I shall make the attempt to offer some few titles that may be of interest for the student of Complete Reality.

To be continued---->

>----continued from the previous part

"Which works by what authors should I use as references in the pursuit of my studies of Complete Reality?"

Beginning with the book that initiated this thread:

The Book of Balance of Harmony: A Taoist Handbook -by Thomas Cleary

--Confucian Studies
The Analects of Confucious.
The I Ching
I Ching Mandalas -by Thomas Cleary

--Buddhist Studies (Ch'an)
Dhammapada
Diamond Sutra

--Taoist Studies
Tao teh Ching (should include the John C.H. Wu and the newer Henricks translations)
Chuang Tzu
Hua Hu Ching
The Art of War

--Meditation Support
Secret of the Golden Flower - Thomas Cleary
Qi Gong (DVDs)
Tai Chi (DVDs Wudang/Taoist schools)

There remains only a suggested reading and practice schedule for the application of this minimal collection of works to the study of Complete Reality Taoism. Fortunately there exists DVDs to assist in the moving meditation studies, of Qi Gong and Tai Chi, while the title on Mandalas provides a reading/study guide to the I Ching. As optional material, recalling that my studies are hap-hazard at best, I would further suggest "Scholar Warrior" and "365 Tao" both by Deng Ming Dao.

One should not underestimate, nor neglect, the influence of tea. An additional study of Gung Fu Cha (The Chinese Art/Ceremonies of Tea) may serve to enhance the overall experience.

How this suggested listing of reference and optional materials for the study of Complete Reality Taoism would compare to that which Mr Vajradhara, which personage I hold as the resident expert on the subject, might offer I can only guess. However it is hoped that, such as it is, these messages provide some sort of helpful service to the reader.

Back