Is there a difference between the God of the Old and New Testaments

M

mojobadshah

I was under the impression that there was a big difference between the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament. That the God of the OT was much more merciless whereas the God of the NT is much more loving. Yet one person I spoke to about this was so adamant that the God of the NT is a jealous God which just didn't seem like the characteristic a loving God would embody to me. Is the God of the NT really a jealous God?

Is the God of the NT really a jealous God?
No.

One has to understand the sacred scribe uses language to convey ideas, and sometimes contrary language to make people think.

I would say the Jews are not so naive as to assume that God is subject to human imperfections ... the idea is to make one think along the lines of "if God is perfect, and therefore not subject to human emotions, especially turbulent passions ... what is the text trying to tell me?"

But perhaps Bananabrain has a more informed commentary.

Christianity was and remains insistent that the God of the Hebrew Scriptures is the same God of whom Christ preaches as Father.

Marcion of Sinope (85-160AD) tried to assert that there was such a distinction, but he was refuted by the Fathers.

God bless,

Thomas

I was under the impression that there was a big difference between the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament. That the God of the OT was much more merciless whereas the God of the NT is much more loving. Yet one person I spoke to about this was so adamant that the God of the NT is a jealous God which just didn't seem like the characteristic a loving God would embody to me. Is the God of the NT really a jealous God?
Since G!d is man's perception, the attributes described of G!d have more to do with the writer, the speaker, the collective consciousness of the times (now or then) and/or the reader, than G!d.

mojobadshah,

The OT was intentionally and blasphemously rewritten by the authorities of the time, so that the king or whoever could use religion as a way to control the population. The result gives us a jealous God, just like you describe.

The re-write also gives us a God who is not omnipotent (God walks by Adam, not knowing Adam is hiding nearby), which makes the story even more unbelievable and false.

And do you really think God would curse and punish all women just because they are women? I don't.

Nick,

I agree that both the OT God and the NT God were invented and designed by people separated by 1400 years and between a Bronze Age culture versus a Classical Greco-Roman culture/Iron Age Plus.

In the Bronze Age, tribal societies were ruled by war lords who used abject fear and trembling to maintain order in people barely removed from barbarism. For tribes to merge into governments, authoritarianism was necessary. The best god for those conditions was a constantly pissed off, violent Sky Monster of a God. Moses designed the OT because the exodus people from Egypt were a heterogeneous group of many different ethnicities. Moses was a classical Bronze Age War Lord, but he had a heterogeneous group of ex-slaves.

The God of the OT clearly has the essential human personality of a war lord of those times such as cruelty, narcissism, jealousy, capriciousness, vindictiveness, arbitrary justice, and vengeance extending to future generations.

In the Roman Empire, the culture was far more civilised and enlightened than Israel-Judea. Rome had surprizing religious tolerance and encouraged learning. Greeks had discovered the Earth to be spherical, circled the Sun, and other wonders of the Greek Culture.

Jesus followers who considered him a prophet or messiah were inflitrated and gradually pushed aside by Greco-Roman former Pagans. They rebelled against bad emperors and thus rejected bad gods. When they deified Jesus in the second century CE, they wrote stories that depicted his wisdom, love, compassion, charity, healing, forgiving, and concern about the poor, and the treatment of women. This evolved with an Indo-European template and a trinity God. Clearly the Trinity composed of Father God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost is incompatible with the god created by Moses.

During the Crusades, Templar Knights probably found knowledge that changed everything. They came back to Europe teaching the knowledge that the scriptures defy the notion of JHWH being Jesus. Catharism or Albigensianism stated the JHWH, the Creator, was an evil God or Satan which the OT proves. They believed Jesus was the new God, a Sun God who brought the light and enlightenment. Jesus asked for compassion, love, forgiveness, justice, care for the sick, help for the poor, and negative vibes toward the wealthy. Yet the Templars acquired wealth. The N.T. God was a good God in Jesus and the Indo-European Trinity.

Amergin

I, personally, was under the impression that the OT God, though linked by tradition, was different characteristically than the NT God. When men turned away from the OT God he turned on man, created great floods, and destroyed cities. The NT God, at first look, would appear to embody only good. Why forgiveness is emphasized over all the other good qualities in the collective conscience I'm not so sure. However, one student of Christianity I spoke did point out that the NT God is also responsible for sentencing sinners to hell, which doesn't appear to be so forgiving, and the NT God is also responsible for judgment day or armageddon, and he won't be so forgiving then either. So how does one explain away these contradictions. Also does anyone know whether the NT says anything about the NT God being a jealous God?

Mojobadshah,

The NT has been intentionally rewritten to remove the idea of responsibility and replace it with the idea that Jesus/God can take away our sins. This is why forgiveness is emphasized the way it is, in direct contradiction to the idea that we will be be held responsible for everything we do (which is also in the Bible). They did the re-write poorly, leaving in both the ideas of responsibility and forgiveness of sins.

Amergin,

The question of Yahweh is a fascinating one. As we all know, The Jews are the chosen people of Yahweh. This is true because Yahweh is the “patron saint” of the Jewish people. (The phrase “patron saint” is not accurate, but it is closest phrase we have in English.) Other nations have patron saints which do indeed look after them (St. Patrick for the Irish, etc.) and the Jews are no different.

But somehow Yahweh was ‘promoted’ from “patron saint” all the way up to the Almighty! Once we understand how Yahweh chose his own nation (and not other nations) because he is a “patron saint,” it is easy to see why the Jews are indeed the chosen people they claim to be.

Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a yes or no answer and if the answer is yes a source. Does the NT mention a jealous God or not?

The NT has been intentionally rewritten ...
Unless you can demonstrate that, I suggest you're talking through your hat, as the saying goes.

to remove the idea of responsibility and replace it with the idea that Jesus/God can take away our sins.
You mean God cannot forgive an offence against Himself.
Or that man can forgive his own sins, regardless of the fact the offence is against another?

Either way, you're flat wrong, as Christianity does not absolve the person of responsibility for their own actions. I do wish you'd stick to talking about Theosophy, because your lack of understanding of even basic Christian doctrine, for one who claims a Christian upbringing, is woeful.

This is why forgiveness is emphasized the way it is, in direct contradiction to the idea that we will be be held responsible for everything we do (which is also in the Bible).
Once again, you really don't understand the Christian Scriptures.

They did the re-write poorly, leaving in both the ideas of responsibility and forgiveness of sins.
I rather think its your comprehension of Scripture that's lacking.

I do wish you would desist from coming into the Christian forums and bandying insults left and right about the Tradition. Heaven knows, you make enough fuss when you think it's you or your school who's been offended.

God bless,

Thomas

Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a yes or no answer and if the answer is yes a source. Does the NT mention a jealous God or not?
No. But it does state quite clearly that the God of Jesus is the God spoken of in the Hebrew Scriptures.

As Wil said, the Sacra Doctrina of the word are not dictated by the Deity, but written by men.

That aside, many people today make sweeping and erroneous assumptions about the meaning of Scripture because they have no insight or understanding of what the sacred scribe is trying to say.

Before one leaps to conclusions however, one really needs to understand the Hebrew linguistic style and not read the Old Testament from a 20th century mindset (actually that's impossible, but at least an awareness of the fact is helpful).

So whilst a Christian would say the God of the OT and the NT is the same God, someone like bananabrain could give you a far deeper insight into the narrative style of Scripture.

In the Christian Tradition, for example, Dionysius the pseudoAreopagite wrote a useful commentary on the understanding of Divine Names, titles and descriptions of the Deity ... I'll find a link for you.

God bless,

Thomas

You mean God cannot forgive an offence against Himself. Or that man can forgive his own sins, regardless of the fact the offence is against another?

If the god of your brain circuits were intelligent, loving, and emotionally more advanced than a Bosnian Serb, an OT prophet, or NT evangelist, then he should be able to forgive any offence. He should be magnanimous not vindictive and capricious. I do not believe that a man can forgive his own sins. Forgiveness only can come from the one offended. Otherwise your sins remain on your conscience until you die and the brain circuits dissolve. That is why Atheists have such a surprising morality standard compared to those who either think sins do not count (Martin Luther and Pat Robertson) or those who think telling a Priest in Confessional convinced the Priest to forgive the sins. Both options are rubbish. You are responsible for what you do. End of story.

Either way, you're flat wrong, as Christianity does not absolve the person of responsibility for their own actions.
We agree on that. Unfortunately many Christians believe that either faith or a priest can absolve sins. That violates reason.

I do wish you'd stick to talking about Theosophy, because your lack of understanding of even basic Christian doctrine, for one who claims a Christian upbringing, is woeful.
Since I began to reject Christian Mythology and doctrine in grade 2 and unshackled the last oppressive Christian chains from my mind by grade 7, I was able to read the scripture out of academic style interest without the built-in bias of meme induction by priests and nuns in my formative years. I studied them for literal content. That proved it to be jumbled bollocks. Then I tried metaphorical or allegorical viewing of the scriptures. I still could not find any meaning that justified the meme complexes that I was fed in school or my occasional visits to Sunday Church.

I must confess that I went to church/Kirk after age14 only to meet girls.

Once again, you really don't understand the Christian Scriptures.
The sad part is that I do understand them while you put a false spin on them. There is no way to reverse the immorality of Noah's Flood even if it is just a fairy tale. There is no way to justify the human sacrifice of Jesus for a sin committed by Adam and Eve, the sin of seeking knowledge. There is no morality in the burning destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah killing men, women, children, babies, an unborn foetuses. We now know S and G were destroyed by cataclismic lava flows, volcanic ash, burning sulphur, and pyroclastic flows from a magma cauldron under the Jordan-Dead Sea Tectonic Rift. However, the traditional telling of the story demonstrates belief in a cruel and unjust God. If enlightened we simply recognise the tectonic cause and view the legend as a story to frighten children into obedience and "correct behaviour." I could go on with the Egyptian plagues and the senseless torture of Job. The meaning is consistent.

I rather think its your comprehension of Scripture that's lacking.
Maybe it is Nick and my application of universal intuitive morality to the scriptures, which you lack.

I do wish you would desist from coming into the Christian forums and bandying insults left and right about the Tradition. Heaven knows, you make enough fuss when you think it's you or your school who's been offended.
First of all, it is an interfaith forum, and this group of threads is not exclusively Christian. It is a discussion of Christianity. Any meaningful discussion must include criticism, analysis, and scepticism rather than blind unthinking faith in a religion (Christianity) with a very sordid 1700 year history.

God bless,

Thomas
Tubaisteach brónach,

Amergin

If the god of your brain circuits were intelligent, loving, and emotionally more advanced than a Bosnian Serb, an OT prophet, or NT evangelist, then he should be able to forgive any offence.
which Scripture says He is, and does ... so I'm not sure of your point.

He should be magnanimous not vindictive and capricious.
Many people read Scripture looking only for the evidence of their presuppositions. (They also assume that they understand, or can interpret, what they read, both of which is scientifically demonstrable as a false premise.) If that's what you think Scripture says, then I can only put you in that category.

I do not believe that a man can forgive his own sins.
No, it's illogical to assume he can.

Forgiveness only can come from the one offended.
Yes.

That is why Atheists have such a surprising morality standard compared to those who either think sins do not count (Martin Luther ...
What? :eek: D'you not understand Luther at all? Don't you realise that Luther's theology was founded on the idea that man is a creature of sin?

or those who think telling a Priest in Confessional convinced the Priest to forgive the sins. Both options are rubbish.
Yes they are, and so therefore is your argument, because that's not what the doctrines say.

Amergin — I can find people who have such a naive understanding of how science works that it frightens me, but I don't therefore make the illogiocal conclusion that their ideas define science and the worth and credibility of scientists.

In fact, as has been demonstrated here often, your own methods of presenting entrenched opinions as 'facts', and your continued presentation of them, even when it's been demonstrated that your facts are either false, errors of interpretation, or at the very least, questionable ... shows me that you are a fundamentalist of the very ilk you so rail against.

As the saying goes, 'physician, heal thyself.'

You are responsible for what you do. End of story.
Yep. And the forgiveness of God is a whole other chapter.

We agree on that. Unfortunately many Christians believe that either faith or a priest can absolve sins. That violates reason.
Well 'faith' doesn't, but assuming a priest can, does ... but then 'many Christians' does not determine what the facts say, in the same way that many people's opinions don't determine what scientific theory says.

I wouldn't get very far arguing that science is fairytales because of what people think.

Since I began to reject Christian Mythology and doctrine in grade 2 and unshackled the last oppressive Christian chains from my mind by grade 7, I was able to read the scripture out of academic style interest without the built-in bias of meme induction by priests and nuns in my formative years.
Actually, your interpretations of Scripture indicate another meme-set at play, and your very unscientific methodology puts you in the 'many people' bracket.

I studied them for literal content. That proved it to be jumbled bollocks.
See what I mean?

Then I tried metaphorical or allegorical viewing of the scriptures. I still could not find any meaning that justified the meme complexes that I was fed in school or my occasional visits to Sunday Church.
No, I doubt you would. It's not a case of the meaning not being there, it's rather a case of you're pre-disposition to it.

The sad part is that I do understand them while you put a false spin on them.
Ahh ... thank you ... :cool:

There is no way to justify the human sacrifice of Jesus for a sin committed by Adam and Eve, the sin of seeking knowledge.
Two points to consider:
One: The fruit of the tree, as Scripture says, is not just 'knowledge' but a certain order of knowledge which pre-supposes a certain metaphysical condition — and the root of the sin is not knowledge either, but pride and envy. So you didn't get the point of the text.

The sacrifice of Jesus was demanded by man, not God.

Maybe it is Nick and my application of universal intuitive morality to the scriptures, which you lack.
If your view of Scriptures showed any insight, then you might give me pause for thought, but as they don't, and are founded on polemics and opinion, it's no lack on my part, believe me.

On the other hand, the training in my degree that insisted that nothing could be presented without supporting evidence, and no conclusion drawn without a review of the materials, means I would have to abandon good practice to accept your views, which I'm not prepared to do.

Any meaningful discussion must include criticism, analysis, and scepticism rather than blind unthinking faith ...
Would you read that bit to yourself out loud, please?

When you argue with no reference to the historical timeline, and no reference to material evidence ... then it's a bit rich to criticise others.

So please don't lecture me on methodology or 'blind unthinking faith' when you clearly show your 'blind unthinking faith' in your own opinions are stalwart in the face of all and any evidence to the contrary.

God bless,

Thomas

I believe it does not mention a jealous God.

Actually, the Bible clearly tells a story of three different gods. It is not the irrational trinity myth, but different gods.

First God was Yahweh the jealous, cruel, frightening, violent, homicidal, and genocidal Sky Monster. He was designed for the Neolithic and Bronze Age tribal societies by leaders who needed fear to maintain social order and secure the leader's authority. All of the O.T. stories do just that.

Second God was Jesus Christ, the kind, compassionate, loving, forgiving, healing, and morality teaching human-god hybrid. Perhaps Rome saw this as undermining Imperial authority, which is the real reason Christians were persecuted. It was political more than spiritual. Mediaeval Kings gradually restored much of Yahweh’s evil ways and fear because they saw the Jesus teachings as giving rise to anarchy. Fear was needed to maintain order. The result is that we worship a good god named Christ but live in fear of the monster god of Moses. "God Fearing" is a compliment among Christians.

Third God is the Insane God of Revelations. This God is clearly irrational and violent. He supposedly leads an army of killer angels to kill billions of humans over doctrinal trivia. He calls himself Jesus but bears no resemblance to the Jesus of the Gospels. The God of Revelations is supposed to be fighting the Dark God, Satan, who is evil. Yet as psychosis would have it, the God battling Evil is more evil than the Devil. I know this makes no sense. I got it from the Book of Revelations, which does depict an insane Jesus God. The Apocalypse is really a civil war between two evil gods, the Devil and the Demonic Pseudo-Jesus and their demon and killer angel armies. It likely inspired the writer Howard Philips Lovecraft in his Cthulhu Mythos novels.

Perhaps this is the functional Trinity of Christianity: the Evil God (O.T.), the Good God (N.T), and the Crazy God (Revelations).

Amergin

Back