Third-eye

D

dhillon

THIRD-EYE
Control of the breath and positioning of the tongue, focusing at the third eye and wearing
rosary of Ttulsi beads, are all obtained (by awakening) the Divine Grace Within (sggs 973).
<><><><>

We know the location of two eyes in the physical body; for their location is outer. But this so called third-eye is inner, which we cannot see because there is no physical location of it. The other most important and subtle inner position is the "cave of the heart". The third-eye, a figurative speech, is an another subtle inner position, similar to the Tenth Gate (Dasam Duaar). All these inner subtle states are intimately connected or essentially one and the same. The third-eye is where light or consciousness can be concentrated. In meditation some may attempt to "see" through it. Also called by other names such as subtle center of superconsciousness, spiritual eye, "ਦਿਬ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ" - Dib Drisati, Dib Disati, Dibya Drishti, ਤੀਜਾ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ, etc.) command center, Divine Darshan (a soul that has had vision of the Supreme Being), etc., many kinds of experiences are associated with this: symbolic and imaginable vision.

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਗਾਹਕੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਲਏ ਪਾਏ ਰਤਨੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ॥ ਅੰਦਰੁ ਖੋਲੈ ਦਿਬ ਦਿਸਟਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥: Hari kaa gaahak hovai so lae paae ratanu veechaaraa. Andaru kholai dib disati dekhai mukti bhandaaraa: One who is a buyer of the Divine (Unconditioned Reality), finds it, and obtains the jewel of contemplation. He opens the doors deep within, and through the Eye of Divine Vision, beholds the treasure of liberation (sggs 425).
ਦਿਬ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਜਾਗੈ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਏ ॥: Dib drisati jaagai bharam chukaae: One whose spiritual vision is awakened - his doubt is driven out (sggs1016).
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਏਹਿ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਅੰਧ ਸੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਦਿਬ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਹੋਈ ॥: Kahai Nanak ehi netr andh se satgur miliai dib drisatti hoee: Says Nanak, these eyes were blind; but meeting the Satguru, they became All-seeing (sggs 922).
ਮੋਰੀ ਅਹੰ ਜਾਇ ਦਰਸਨ ਪਾਵਤ ਹੇ ॥: Moree aham jaai darasan paavat hey: My ego is gone; I have obtained the Divine Vision (sggs 830).
Simply put: the inner or third-eye is a state of "no ego" (no Haume ), "Shabad-Surti" (God Consciousness), realization of Truth, Transcending of Maya (illusion), freedom from the darkness of ignorance, spiritual Wisdom, inner (spiritual) strength and maturity, Sahaj-Avasthaa, Jeevanmukti, and so on. It is an eye of the True Knowledge or Infinite Wisdom (Self-knowledge or Aatam-Giaan): the state of always being "awakened" within. It is the experience of the True Self ("Joti-Svaroopa"), the mind shunned ("Sunn-Samaadhi") of all thought-wanderings (ego), realization of All-pervasiveness of One Universal Consciousness, being established in Witnessing Consciousness, being established in the Realm of Truth (Sach Khand), blossoming of the Soul to the Source, the state of All-knowing, the Cosmic Mind — Pure, Clear, Unconditioned, Undisturbed, and so on. It cannot be experienced through reading books. Also, it cannot be made to an order or given to someone as a gift. For it is totally experiential and not conceptual. Therefore, it is not something conveyed in words. It is pure experience, the state in which one sees everything as his own Self. Experience of this state does not mean you close the other two eyes. Spiritual path is difficult like walking on a "two-edged sword", to succeed at this, we need to awaken within the guidance and grace of the Guru or God. These have to be earned, which implies that there has to be right effort made at appropriate time. Therefore, it's an arduous journey of selflessness, commitment and sacrifice. Such inner renunciation requires an iron determination to change our life's direction from the worldly to the spiritual. Unfortunately, the majority of us are unable to sustain the same spirit for too long.

ਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਜਨੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਧੇਰ ਬਿਨਾਸੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੰਤ ਭੇਟਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥੧॥: Giaan anjan gur deeaa agiaan andher binaas. Har kirapaa te sant bhetiaa Nanak mani paragaas ||1||: The Guru has given me the collyrium of spiritual wisdom, by which the darkness of ignorance is dispelled. By the Lord's Grace, I have met the Saint; O Nanak, my mind is Enlightened. ||1|| (sggs 293).
ਮਾਇਆ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਨ ਤੇ ਭਾਗੀ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥: Maya mamataa tann te bhaagee oupajio niramal giaan: Attachment to Maya has run away from my body, since immaculate spiritual wisdom has welled up within me (sggs 1186).
ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਰਿਦ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਜਾਗੀ ਅਮਿਉ ਝੋਲਿ ਝੋਲਿ ਪੀਜਾ ਹੇ ॥: Surati sabad ridh antar jaagee amio jhol jhol peejaa hay: Awareness of the Shabad-Surti has awakened within my heart. Shaking it and vibrating it, I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar (sggs 1074).
ਉਪਜੈ ਸਹਜੁ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਤਿ ਜਾਗੈ ॥: Oupajai sahaju giaan mati jaagai: Sahaj (Natural state of Being, ਅਡੋਲ ਅਵਸਥਾ...) wells up within, the Intellect awakenes to Spiritual Wisdom (ਗਿਆਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਬੁੱਧੀ). (sggs 92).
ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤੁ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ॥: Jeevan mukat so aakheeai jis vichahu houmai jaai: He alone is called Jeevanmukta, liberated while yet alive, from within whom ego is eradicated (sggs 1009).
ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਤਾ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਹਉ ਲੋਭਾ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਤਾ ॥: Sunn samaadhi sahaj man raataa. Taj haou lobhaa eko jaataa: (By becoming the Gurmukh, who merges in the Name of the Lord) his mind remains absorbed in Sunn Samaadhi (where there are no Mayaic thoughts, noise of the Haume, etc.). Renouncing egoism and greed (i.e., all Bikaars), he comes to know One God (sggs 904).
ਸਭੁ ਇਕੋ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈ ॥: Sabh iko hukam varatadaa manniai sukh paaee: The One Hukam (Divine Will) is all-pervasive; accepting it, peace is found (sggs 948).
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਲਿਪਤੁ ਰਹੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ ॥: Gurmukh alipat rahai sansaare: The Gurmukhs remain unaffected in the midst of the world (sggs 118).
ਸਚ ਖੰਡਿ ਵਸੈ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰੁ ॥: Sach khand vasai nirankaar: In the Realm of Truth, the Formless Lord abides (sggs 8).
Thus, the third-eye is not a physical eye. If one were to develop a physical third-eye on his or her body, that person will be in a zoo or museum! In nutshell, this third-eye is a state where the duality (Doojaa Bhaava) has disappeared. As such, it has nothing to do with stuff like seeing a bright light, hearing voices back or feeling head getting hot, etc.

One can see material objects with the help of the outer eyes of the physical body. But we cannot experience the state of God Consciousness with material eyes or any other bodily senses. To realize God Consciousness, we need to develop the new inner eye called third-eye. In other words the outer two eyes need to become one eye called the third-eye. Then duality (Maya or Doojaa Bhaav), ego or doubts disappear and one beholds the Vision of Oneness of the entire creation. In other words, when our external eyes become blind to the world of plurality or falsehood, even if they are opened, that is when the third-eye is opened. But according to the Gurbani, such spiritual beings (Gurmukhs) who are free of the ugliness of false ego-sense or Haume is very "rare" in the world. Rest of us just talk and create troubles.

ਤਤ ਸਮਦਰਸੀ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕੋਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਮੰਧਾਹੀ ॥: Tat samadarasee santahu koee koti mandhaahee: One who sees the essence of reality with impartial vision, O Saints, is very rare-one among millions (sggs 51)
ਜਲਨਿ ਬੁਝੀ ਦਰਸੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਬਿਨਸੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਧ੍ਰੋਹ ਜੀਉ ॥: Jalan bujhee daras paaiaa binase Maya dhroh jeeou: My burning desires were quenched, when I obtained the Divine Vision of; the fraudulent illusion of Maya is gone (sggs 929).
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਿਰਲੀ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣਿਆ ॥: Gurmukh viralee eaeko jaaniaa: Rare indeed is he who as Gurmukh realizes the One Lord (sggs 905).
Third-eye is in an inward state. It begins to open when the Self-Unfoldment takes place. Meditation ( Jap or Naam-Simran) is the technique to open the inner eye. It requires sincere self-efforts, and Saadh- Sangat (Holy Company) to make sure the self-efforts bear the right fruits. The Gurbani urges us to focus on the Name of the One Divine, which helps awaken the Divine Grace within. Which, in turn, bestows on the seeker everything. In other words, once we become the Gurmukhs (Self-Realized, pure or egoless beings, Brahm Giaanee, etc.), all other things are automatically added on to the seeker of Truth.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਏਹਿ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਅੰਧ ਸੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਦਿਬ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਹੋਈ ॥: Kahai Nanak ehi netr andh se satgur miliai dib drisatti hoee: Says Nanak, these eyes were blind; but meeting the Satguru, they became All-seeing (sggs 922).
ਬਜਰ ਕਪਾਟ ਜੜੇ ਜੜਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਖੋਲਾਇਦਾ ॥੨॥ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਕੋਟ ਗੁਫਾ ਘਰ ਜਾਈ ॥: Bajjar kapaat jarhe jarhi jaanai gur sabdee kholaaidaa. ||2|| Bheetar kot guphaa ghar jaaee: The hard and heavy doors (of the love of Maya, etc.) are closed and locked (within the fortress of the body). Through the Gur-Shabad, they are thrown open. ||2|| Within the fortress (of the body) is the Cave, the Home (of the Truth) (sggs 1033).
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਭਇਓ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪੇਖਤ ਭੋਰੀ ॥: Saadhasangat Nanak bhaiou mukataa darasan pekhat bhoree: In the Saadh Sangat, the Holy Company, Nanak has been liberated, gazing upon the Divine Vision, even for an instant (sggs 1216).
ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਅਹੰਬੁਧਿ ਤਿਆਗਤ ॥: Brahm giaanee ahambudh tiaagat: Brahm Giaanee - the knower of Truth - renounces his Ahambudh - egotism (sggs 273).

Back