Therapy animals

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I read about a woman who unknowingly adopted her therapy companion in Sturgeon Bay, WI USA (here's the article I found it in Sturgeon Bay cat saves owner's life | Green Bay Press Gazette | greenbaypressgazette.com) and I wondered if anybody else here has any stories about a therapy animal.

I live with one, although she's not a registered one due to the fact that I haven't really had a need for one like the woman in the article (and I'm grateful for that.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hippotherapy!
Horses are wonderful therapy. (Ask me about my up coming grand-foal)
Physical and mental disabilities, social rehabilitation for youth, and they also eat carrots (so I don't have to).

My cats have regular animal therapy. It takes the form of every perceived and possible whim being attended to.

My cats have regular animal therapy. It takes the form of every perceived and possible whim being attended to.

I find it difficult to provide that particular level of animal therapy of late for when I enter the pasture there are the 13 attention deficit collecting moochers who try their level best to divert my attention from the object of my labours.

To properly understand the difficulties involved some consideration of the fact that a few of those attention starved entities are experienced in the art of "cutting" and having no cattle to play with it is I that ends up being maneuvered with little chance of escape.

Thus my poor little darling (1200 lb) is some what shorted of the level of attention that, His Snoopyness describes above, and is her due.

Last edited:
Greetings, Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine.

There are companies that will assist in both the training of and certification of animals for use in service to the handicapped. One company's outlook is that the owner of the prospective service animal is capable of such training themselves and provides home study courses with that outlook in mind. "The proof is in the pudding," some may say, and to that end one would need to bring the animal in for certification trials which that company also provides.

I find it difficult to provide that particular level of animal therapy of late for when I enter the pasture there are the 13 attention deficit collecting moochers who try their level best to divert my attention from the object of my labours.

To properly understand the difficulties involved some consideration of the fact that a few of those attention starved entities are experienced in the art of "cutting" and having no cattle to play with it is I that ends up being maneuvered with little chance of escape.

Thus my poor little darling (1200 lb) is some what shorted of the level of attention that, His Snoopyness describes above, and is her due.

My knowledge of horses is quite possibly less than zero. There was a TV programme on the other night about how intelligent animals are (d'uh??) and one section concerned a man that had developed an intimate understanding of mustangs. For instance, slowing the visible movement of his own stomach signified he was relaxed and so not a threat. When he (and the presenter) did this, they were approached by these great wild creatures, who otherwise would have scattered away.

Greetings, Snoopy.

Body language is of some import when dealing with animals unknown to one. This is most notable when dealing with canines. I have seen this with horses as well.

IMHO it is in part due to this reading of body language, that both animals have proved their ability to aid humans in their recovery from infirmities as some of these "dumb beasts" seem to know what is needed and when.

From personal experience, I was engaged in some ground work with a stallion, with whom I had formed a rather strong bond, without halter or lead. I was walking beside him at his shoulder when I had stumbled, whereupon the stallion wrapped itself around me to prevent my falling and had allowed me to grasp him by the mane to steady myself.

The above is an illustration of an awareness on his part and his knowing what was needed at that moment in time. Thus one may say that this stallion had displayed some of the desirable qualities of a therapy animal. There may be found many examples of animals intervening on behalf of humans on an every day basis.

Locally, there are at least three Hippotherapy concerns to my knowledge.

Greetings, Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine.

There are companies that will assist in both the training of and certification of animals for use in service to the handicapped. One company's outlook is that the owner of the prospective service animal is capable of such training themselves and provides home study courses with that outlook in mind. "The proof is in the pudding," some may say, and to that end one would need to bring the animal in for certification trials which that company also provides.

How can I contact that company so that Tovarish could get registered (she brought a couple of things to my attention which I brought to the attention of a physician [he didn't believe me when I told him about her preoccupation with the afflicted parts].) If I had her with me, he would've seen firsthand her, fixation I guess you could call it.

I'm also reminded of my late owner/manager, Shadow Kibblesbane, who would always go to the person who needed his attention. Hell, he reacted to my late mother's cancer months before she was diagnosed, and remained with her during her treatments unless my late father required his attention and/or he was taking care of required business (eating, drinking and "box".)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hippotherapy!
Horses are wonderful therapy. (Ask me about my up coming grand-foal)
Physical and mental disabilities, social rehabilitation for youth, and they also eat carrots (so I don't have to).

Has the baby foal arrived yet? We want pictures! :D

Thank you for asking, SeattleGal.

Has the baby foal arrived yet? We want pictures! :D

The foal has not yet had their "coming out party."
Missy Mare is, by the calendar, three weeks from presenting me with a foal. Yet one should consider that the foal will arrive when it is ready.

One should rest assured that this proud soon to be psuedo parent will be delighted to post "baby" pictures.

How can I contact that company so that Tovarish could get registered <snip>

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I beg your pardon for the delay, Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, And I plead guilty for not following this thread more closely.

Yet of late I have found that there is another therapy animal.
I noticed that while feeding Her Mareness she would half close her eyes and consume her meal most slowly. Additionally, of late, when the foal would "kick" - this human would speak softly and massage Her Mareness gently and the growing foal would settle down and reduce its activity a notch. Thus it may be reasoned that some humans may be trained, by their supervising Equines, to be therapy animals.

As to the contact information you have requested, I''ll dig it out and post the link soonest.

Back