Baha'i communities:

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
I was interested in posting some sites about the variety of Baha'i communities around the world...

Our first community:

Baha'i community of Lewis:

Home Page (Isle of Lewis Baha'i Community, Scotland)

lewis-map.png

Edinburgh Baha'i Community

Our community is a friendly and warm society of friends of all ages from a wide variety of cultures
working together to bring the much-needed long-term solutions to humanity.

Although these solutions can be appreciated by all, they are ultimately founded on a spiritual basis.

These pages provide a glimpse into some different aspects of individual and community life.

If you would like to find out more, please contact the community.

overview.jpg

Overview (Edinburgh Baha'i Community UK)

UK Baha'i community:

"Read about the activities of the UK Bahá’í community in the latest edition of the UK Bahá’í Review, which you can download here.

"This edition includes reflections on what it is to serve in a community, as well as reports on multifaith social action and celebrations to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. We also explore the Festival of Ridvan, which commemorates Bahá’u’lláh’s declaration as a Manifestation of God in 1863, and look at the significance of the Festival for Bahá’ís across the UK today..."

UK Bahá?í Review - Summer 2012 | UK BAHÁ?Í NEWS

Reception-1-500x334.jpg

Parliamentarians from both Houses, foreign diplomats, media professionals, and representatives from various faith communities and civil society organisations joined members of the Bahá’í community on the Terrace of the House of Commons on 23 April to celebrate the Festival of Riḍván.

Bahai Ridvan 2012 Reception Hosted in House of Commons | UK BAHÁ?Í NEWS

Baha'i Faith Ireland...

The 2012 Irish Bahá’í Summer School will take place from 4th August – 12th August in Kilkenny.
The theme of the 2012 Irish Bahá’í Summer School – The Power of the Covenant – encompasses not only the programme of the school but the continuing efforts of Bahá’ís throughout the world. “To direct and canalize the forces released by His Revelation He instituted His Covenant, whose power has preserved the integrity of His Faith, maintained its unity and stimulated its world-wide
expansion throughout the successive ministries of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi. It continues to fulfil its life-giving purpose through the agency of the Universal House of Justice.” (Universal House of Justice “The Constitution of the Universal House of Justice”).
There’s something for everyone at the school. Children, Junior Youth,
Youth and Adults – can all partake in full and varied programmes. In addition to the sessions, classes, activities and courses that will run each day, each evening there will be a full and varied programme of Arts and Activity based workshops open to everyone.
As well as the formal programme at Summer School there are also informal sessions
throughout the week and, of course, the usual complement of entertainment and sports activities.
Kilkenny College offers many areas suitable for casual recreation, relaxation and chatting and if at any time you are feeling in need of reading materials or refreshments, these will all be available to you from our Bookshop, Coffee Shop and Tuck Shop.

Bahá'í Faith Ireland Summer School 2012

The Hong Kong Baha'i community...

Naw_Ruz21-300x233.jpg

??????? | The Hong Kong Baha'i Community: English

Despite the agreement to transfer sovereignty of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China in 1997 and its designation as a special administrative region (SAR) (but with the retention of many unique governmental systems for at least 50 years), the position of the Bahá'í administration in Hong Kong - its administration, membership and communities - in the context of local laws has remained unchanged. The "National" Spiritual Assembly is now referred to as the “Spiritual Assembly” or “Main Spiritual Assembly” in Chinese and still retains jurisdiction over the Local Spiritual Assemblies in Hong Kong. It is elected from the generality of Bahá'í residents in the community of Hong Kong SAR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith_in_Hong_Kong

Baha'i community in Minsk, Belarus

• The Baha’i Community of Minsk presently numbers some 120 members, including children.
minsk93.jpg

Community Activities
  • The Baha’i Community of Minsk hosts meetings for those interested in the Baha’i teachings, training sessions in the fundamentals of the Baha’i Faith, classes for children, devotional (prayer) meetings, as well as celebrations of the Baha’i Holy Days. These activities are open to anyone.
  • The Baha’is also gather together at Nineteen Day Feasts. The English Club has been active for a number of years now, providing a joyful and friendly environment to discuss various topics of interest in the English language.
  • The fundamentals of a healthy family life are taught from a spiritual standpoint within the framework of the ‘My Home’ project. As the community grows and develops, its members and friends get involved in various social projects organised by the Baha’is.
Official Site of the Baha'i Faith in Minsk, Belarus

Baha'i communities in Eugene/Springfield, Oregon:

Welcome
to the Web site for the Bahá’í Faith in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area. Here you will find information on the following:

• BELIEFS: about our Faith
  • COMMUNITY: who we are
  • EVENTS: our regular activities
  • MEDIA: resources for media and articles written by community members
  • FAQ: common questions and answers
  • LINKS: additional online resources for the Bahá’í Faith
  • CONTACT: how to get in touch with local Bahá’ís and how to find the Eugene community center
BahaiCenter2006index.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photo by Jack Liu[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Eugene Bahá’í Center is not a church but a spiritual center for the purpose of sharing the Bahá’í teachings with all of humanity.[/FONT]

Baha'is of India:

Probably the largest Baha'i community in the world is in India!

Devotional Gatherings

Responding to the inmost longing of every heart to commune with its Maker, the Baha'is carry out acts of collective worship in diverse settings, uniting with people of other Faiths in prayer, awakening spiritual susceptibilities, and shaping a pattern of life distinguished for its devotional character.
Read more...
Social Action

Participation in social action is a prominent feature of a life dedicated to the service of the entire human race. From a Bahá’í perspective, social action can range from fairly informal efforts of short duration undertaken by individuals or small groups to programmes of social and economic development with a high level of complexity and sophistication. Irrespective of its scope and scale, all social action seeks to apply the teachings and principles of the Bahá’í Faith to improve some aspect of the social or economic life of a population. Consequently, Bahá’í development initiatives are designed to engage and benefit all the members of a community and not just Bahá’ís.
Read more...

Baha'is of India | Baha'i Faith | Welcome to the Official Website of the Bahá?ís of India

Baha'is in Afganistan...

Bahá'í Faith in Afghanistan
Afghanistan, although located in the neighboring of Iran, from which the Bahá'í Faith arose, has not been succeeded fully to speared the Bahá'í Faith within the country. This, indeed, is the result of the King, political and religious leader's gropingly prejudice. Even with this many hardships from the government and religious leaders, after 1919 many Afghans accepted the Bahá'í Faith within and outside the country. It was not until 1965 that the Bahá'í Faith started to spread throughout the country by Afghans themselves.
  • 1966 -First Afghan Bahá'í Community in Kabul was established
  • 1969 -First Afghan Local Spiritual Assembly of Afghanistan was elected.
  • 1970 -Four other Local Spiritual Assemblies were established nationwide.
  • 1972 -The First National Spiritual Assembly was elected.
  • 1978- By this time Bahá'ís Faith was spread into these provinces: Kabul, Herat, Qandahar, Helmand, Ghazni, Paktia, Nengarhar, Kondoz, Baghlan, Samangan, Mazar-e Sharif, Sheberghan, and Parwan.
  • 1978 -Bahá'ís were imprisoned during the USSR (Soviet Union) invasion of Afghanistan
  • 1978 -Bahá'ís were released from prison after 14 months.
After changes of government and civil wars, some (but not all) Afghan Bahá'ís left the country and went to the following lands: Iran, Pakistan, India, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Russia, Kouite, Dubai, Qatar, Germany, Holland, United States and Canada. There might be many Afghan Bahá'ís living in other countries, but they have not contacted us as of now.
  • 1979 - Due to civil war Afghan Bahá'ís lost contact within the provinces.
  • 1986 - A National Baha'i Committee (5 members) was created under the guidance of Universal House of Justice.
  • 1987 - Three Local Spiritual Assemblies were elected in Kabul province
  • 1995 - The Local Spiritual Assembly of Mazar-e Sharif was elected.
  • 1998 - (2nd of May) Under Taliban regime many Afghan Bahá'ís were imprisoned and the rest were forced to leave the country. A majority went to Pakistan . Some other Afghan Bahá'ís who were not in the initial arrest and did not leave the country were imprisoned and released within this period. These imprisonments included man women and children of all ages.
  • 1998 - (October) After the enforcement of International Community and Universal House of Justice the last Afghan Baha'i was released from prison.
  • 2002 - After the establishment of the new government many Afghan Bahá'ís returned to their homeland from all neighbor countries, mostly from Pakistan , Iran and India .
Afghan Bahá'ís

Armenian Baha'i community...

feature-image.jpg

Friends celebrate at a picnic after completing a study class on prayer and the life of the soul.

The Bahá’í Faith was first established in Armenia in the early 1990s. Since that time, increasing numbers of people throughout the country have been finding inspiration and guidance in the teachings of Bahá’u’lláh. Here, members of the Bahá’í community are working together with their neighbors and friends to promote and contribute to the well-being and progress of society. In urban centres and rural villages, in homes and schools, citizens of all backgrounds, classes and ages are participating in a dynamic pattern of life, taking part in activities which are, at once, spiritual, social and educational.

Armenia | The Bahá?í Faith

Baha'is of Azerbaijan:

The Bahá'í Faith has existed in Azerbaijan since its inception in the middle of 19th century. In the Soviet Union, the Baha'i Faith as well as other religions could not be practiced openly. After Azerbaijan regained its independence as a soverign state, freedom of worship was restored. In 1992, the Law of Religious Freedom was passed and Bahá'ís in Azerbaijan received permission to build their communities. Today there are two officially registered Bahá'í communities, they are in the cities of Baki and Sumgayit. Since 2004 the National Spiritual Assembly of Bahá'ís of Azerbaijan is also officialy registered. After the democratic changes in Azerbaijan, the Bahá'ís as well as other citizens are free to practice their beliefs.

Official site of the Baha'is of Azerbaijan:

The Baha'i Community of Azerbaijan - Electronic Library

Baha'i community of Uganda:

The Bahá’í Community of Uganda
feature-image.jpg
Photograph of the celebration for the fiftieth anniversary of the Bahá’í Faith in Uganda, held at the Bahá’í House of Worship in Kampala, 2001.

The Bahá’í Faith was introduced to Uganda in 1951, making it one of the earliest Bahá’í communities in Eastern Africa. Since then, the Ugandan Bahá’ís have firmly established the Faith in their country, with members representing nearly every tribal and religious background and being located in over 2,800 localities throughout the country.

The first Bahá’í House of Worship on the African continent, completed in 1961, is situated in Kampala and has become a well-known landmark of the capital. Bahá’í Houses of Worship are spiritual gathering places open to all peoples.

Uganda | The Bahá?í Faith

Baha'is in the UK

photolondon021a.jpeg

In 2009 over 3,000 Bahá’ís met in London at one of 41 regional conferences that took place around the world. This was the largest single gathering of Bahá’ís in the UK since the 1963 World Congress.

Into the 21st Century

Some Baha'i communities in Africa:

In Africa, four communities celebrate 50 years of progress

LILONGWE, Malawi -- Fifty years ago, the first two members of the Bahá'í community here would meet in the bush at night. There they would say prayers together, discuss plans, enjoy biscuits, and then go their separate ways.
"This was done because in those days, blacks and whites could not meet openly," said Enayat Sohaili, describing the first Bahá'í gatherings in Malawi during commemorations of the community's 50th anniversary in August.

Mr. Sohaili, of Persian background, had arrived from India in 1953 and was considered white. The first Malawian Bahá'í, Dudley Smith Kumtendere, was black. And colonial policy at the time discouraged racially mixed gatherings.

But much has changed in the 50 years since the Bahá'í Faith was first established here. Since Malawi gained its independence in 1964, Bahá'ís have been able openly to express their commitment to the basic principles of their Faith, such as the oneness of humanity.

Today, there are more than 15,000 Bahá'ís in Malawi -- along with other signs of a flourishing community life: a handsome national headquarters, 15 local centers, and the existence of some 101 local-level governing councils, known as Local Spiritual Assemblies.

There have been similar signs of progress for Bahá'í communities in the three other African countries where Bahá'ís also celebrated 50th anniversaries in August and September 2003.

In Cameroon, there are now some 40,000 Bahá'ís. In the Republic of the Congo, some 20 Local Spiritual Assemblies have been established. And in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the national Bahá'í governing body, the National Spiritual Assembly, was recently able to meet in the capital for the first time in five years, since the outbreak of civil war in 1998.
All of these accomplishments and more were commemorated in gala celebrations held in the capital cities of each of the four countries last summer.

It is no coincidence that four African Bahá'í communities celebrated their 50th anniversaries this summer. In 1953, Bahá'ís around the world embarked on a ten-year plan aimed at spreading the principles of their Faith to every land. During that period, Bahá'ís carried the Faith to some 131 new countries and territories, raising to 259 the places where the Faith was established -- including many countries and territories in Africa.
In all this year, Bahá'í communities in some 17 countries will observe their golden anniversaries. In addition to the four mentioned here, they include: Cyprus, Guinea-Bissau, Kiribati, Lesotho, Madagascar, Mauritius, Namibia, Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa, Togo, Vanuatu, and Zimbabwe.
In the African countries celebrating their jubilees in August and September, the commemorations were marked by visitors from around the world, significant media coverage, and ceremonies featuring song, dance, and prayer.

In Cameroon, more than 560 Bahá'í from all regions of the country attended the jubilee celebrations, which were held in Yaoundé on 22-23 August 2003. Guests also came from Australia, Botswana, Canada, Equatorial Guinea, France, Morocco, Rwanda, Uganda, United Kingdom, and the United States of America.

Baha'i community of Canada

The Bahá'í Community of Canada

« Les pages éphémères des journaux sont le miroir du monde. Elles reflètent les actes, les attentes des divers peuples. »

Bahá’u’lláh
Canadian Baha’is, in large cities and small towns, and from every conceivable background are dedicated to the creation of a worldwide society built on principles of justice and unity, characterized by the elimination of racial and religious prejudice, and the equality of women and men – where diversity is celebrated and the arts, sciences and a love of learning is encouraged.
Baha’is, along with their friends and neighbours are involved in a series of initiatives that include the education of children, the empowering of young people and programs to assist in the development of our spiritual and moral capacities in order to be of greater service to humanity.

Conference explores “a new paradigm” in international development

Opening plenary session two at the CCIC-CASID Post-MDG Conference in Ottawa in September 2012:
(--L to R) Kate Higgins (North-South Institute), Mwangi Waituru (Beyond 2015 Campaign), Gerd Schonwalder (International Development Research Centre).
© Canadian Council for International Co-operation Ottawa, Ontario, 28 September 2012 (CBNS) — We need a bolder vision of development that emphasizes our moral and ethical commitments to all humanity.

Canadian Bahá'í News Service | A website of the Bahá'í Community of Canada

Back