Thoughts on Lent

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
At the heart of Christianity is the Cross. It is the leitmotif of Latin Christianity.

And He knew it was coming. Knew He was to be betrayed, slandered, condemned, delivered into the hands of strangers to be killed, by whom He was mocked, spat on, scourged, and crucified. In the end, apart from His mother, a disciple, and a few of the women, abandoned.

But who was He? What was He? A man, that much, it seems, we can be sure of today (Docetism being a gnostic heresy quickly disposed of). But, if the testimonies are to be believed, not just a man: A prophet, indeed ‘The Prophet’, the Son of man, the Son of God, the Word of God, the Wisdom and Power of God.

The Gospels present Jesus as a teacher, a healer, a wonderworker, and, although this is not explored by the scribe, a threat to the good order and safety of the community. In some ways a threat to the Jewish religion, and beyond that a political threat. (That He was crucified makes clear that the execution was of a political and not a religious act.)

But how did Jesus think of himself? In what way did He want to be remembered? The question crops up more than once in the Scriptures, and the highlight seems to be Peter's affirmation, 'thou art the Christ, the son of the living God'.

+++

As far as a teacher goes, there's not a great deal in His teaching that cannot be paralleled in contemporary or earlier Jewish thought. Even the twofold command – to love God and to love one's neighbour – is presented by St Luke not as His teaching, but as a summary of the Law, provided by a Jewish lawyer in answer to His question.

Jesus is not presented as a great teacher with a new message — He preaches the Law and the Prophets. What is presented is someone who speaks with a new and, if He is to be believed, a remarkable authority.

Jesus is not a philosopher with some new teaching, some new interpretation of the universe, nor is her presented as a moral teacher with a new moral code, though it is true that love is central to His ethos, especially so if we believe the Johannine and Pauline corpus.

This sense that Jesus is not summed up in his teaching, whether philosophical or moral, is underlined by the fact that Jesus wrote nothing himself. But there are other ways that He gave His disciples something to remember Him by.

One such is the Lord’s Prayer.

Another is the Eucharist.

Had Jesus been a philosopher, a teacher, then we would have a philosophy on the nature of God and his relationship to the world; on divine providence and so on. Had He been a moralist, then we would have a morality with God as the source of our moral values, moral commandments, and so on.

But the way Jesus wanted to be remembered seems to suggest something else.

The Lord's Prayer first and foremost teaches us that God as Father is the One to whom we pray. Not the God of the metaphysical Absolute; not the God of the moral Good. God is not some ultimate principle or final value, most definitely not the exemplar of all that is best in man.

We call him ‘Father’, but we know that we are His by His choosing, by filial adoption. This point is made absolutely clear in the Hebrew Scriptures, God chose Abram and called him:

Deuteronomy 10:15: "And yet the Lord hath been closely joined to thy fathers, and loved them and chose their seed after them, that is to say, you, out of all nations, as this day it is proved"

Deuteronomy 14:2: "Because thou art a holy people to the Lord thy God: and he chose thee to be his peculiar people of all nations that are upon the earth."

Ezechiel 20:5: "Thus saith the Lord God: In the day when I chose Israel ... and appeared to them in the land of Egypt, and lifted up my hand for them, saying: I am the Lord your God"

The notion that we are in some way inherently divine, or by some other right enjoy quasi-divine status, simply by virtue of the fact we exist, is not and never was an Abrahamic idea. At best it's a sentimentalism, at worst, the operation of a self-involved ego.

This is repeated emphatically by John: "And he said to them: You are from beneath, I am from above. You are of this world, I am not of this world" (8:23), "You have not chosen me: but I have chosen you" (15:16). Man cannot choose God in the sense that man cannot know God as anything other than an abstract philosophical speculation, unless God choose to reveal Himself to man.

+++

The seven petitions of the Lord’s Prayer constitute a complete theology: a series of petitions that belong to everyman and yet which simultaneously evoke the central mysteries of His remembrance: theology (the contemplation of the divine, rather than an intellectual exercise), theosis (transformation in the Holy Spirit, adoption by grace), equality with the angels, participation in eternal life, the reconstitution of the true human nature, the abolition of sin, and the overthrow of evil.

These are not just mysteries to contemplate, still less riddles to be solved. They are icons that draw us into direct communion with God. The Symbols of Faith. They reveal the mystery of the Trinity which, in turn, makes our adoption, our participation in the divine, possible, as sons and daughters in the Son, one body in Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

God bless

Thomas

an expanded translation from Aramaic by Dr. Rocco A. Errico:

Our Father who is everywhere
Your name is sacred.
Your kingdom is come.
Your will is throughout the earth
even as it is throughout the universe
You give us our needful bread from day to day,

Hmmm... I was looking for thoughts on lent.... but this was good...

noohra.com

the link goes to an audio of the aramaic and Rocco's discussion on the prayer.

Thoughts on lent.....lent in our church is not a time to give up something and then take it back up again after Easter....but at its root a time to work on eliminating negative thinking, or anything negative in our lives....while lent over the years has been expanded from days to weeks....it gives us an opportunity if we wish, to improve ourcellves physically, spiritually, a time to use as a springboard to a better life..(giving up smoking, taking up regular prayer/contemplation time, giving up something not for lent, but using the lenten period to give it up forever).

an expanded translation from Aramaic by Dr. Rocco A. Errico:
Our Father who is everywhere
Your name is sacred.
Your kingdom is come.
Your will is throughout the earth
even as it is throughout the universe
You give us our needful bread from day to day,
Expanded? D'you really think so? :eek: I find it spiritually dull, somewhat generic and utterly impersonal.

(Sorry. I know you will champion Dr. Rocco A. Errico as a scholar, but seems like he's one guy swimming against the flow, and the evidence is stacked against him. Either way, like my dad used to say of Yehudi Menuhin, "H's technically brilliant, but if you've got no heart... ")

... lent in our church is not a time to give up something and then take it back up again after Easter. ...
Ah, how many times to you preface your Lenten comment with this pejorative opinion, the usual blanket condemnation of everyone else? ;)

...but at its root a time to work on eliminating negative thinking, or anything negative in our lives...
Tosh. That's a post-modern humanist psychologism. The very idea is totally alien to thinking earlier than the 1960s, let alone the 0060s.

One would do better, I would suggest, if one used Lent to stop being so self-absorbed, and make room for Someone else.

Lent is about the practice of ascesis, which is the first step to spiritual realisation. Caritas, detachment and humility. Prayer and fasting.

A blessed Lent to all,

Thomas

History of Lent

How is it that I made a blanket condemnation of everyone else?

If I say I prefer standing on a bus does that condemn everyone that takes a seat?

If I say my friends and I go to opera, am I coondemning everyone that isn't?

me thinks thou dost protest too much.... I was providing my thoughts on lent in a public forum...my bad.

as to Rocco, as I discussed in other posts....I have not spent my life studying the social aspects of the time of Jesus, nor quoine greek or ancient hebrew or aramaic....and therefor I read and listen to those that have.... Now if the translation is to bland for you and you prefer it flowered up by those that King James hired to do his bidding...so be it....but again...are we posting here for discussion of topics or to use the wod of the day...pontificate?

Since the earliest times of the Church, there is evidence of some kind of Lenten preparation for Easter. For instance, St. Irenaeus (d. 203) wrote to Pope St. Victor I, commenting on the celebration of Easter and the differences between practices in the East and the West: "The dispute is not only about the day, but also about the actual character of the fast. Some think that they ought to fast for one day, some for two, others for still more; some make their 'day' last 40 hours on end. Such variation in the observance did not originate in our own day, but very much earlier, in the time of our forefathers" (Eusebius, History of the Church, V, 24). When Rufinus translated this passage from Greek into Latin, the punctuation made between "40" and "hours" made the meaning to appear to be "40 days, twenty-four hours a day." The importance of the passage, nevertheless, remains that since the time of "our forefathers" -- always an expression for the apostles -- a 40-day period of Lenten preparation existed. However, the actual practices and duration of Lent were still not homogenous throughout the Church.

Lent becomes more regularized after the legalization of Christianity in A.D. 313. The Council of Nicea (325), in its disciplinary canons, noted that two provincial synods should be held each year, "one before the 40 days of Lent." St. Athanasius (d. 373) in this "Festal Letters" implored his congregation to make a 40-day fast prior to the more intense fasting of Holy Week. St. Cyril of Jerusalem (d. 386) in his Catechectical Lectures, which are the paradigm for our current RCIA programs, had 18 pre-baptismal instructions given to the catechumens during Lent. St. Cyril of Alexandria (d. 444) in his series of "Festal Letters" also noted the practices and duration of Lent, emphasizing the 40-day period of fasting. Finally, Pope St. Leo (d. 461) preached that the faithful must "fulfill with their fasts the Apostolic institution of the 40 days," again noting the apostolic origins of Lent. One can safely conclude that by the end of the fourth century, the 40-day period of Easter preparation known as Lent existed, and that prayer and fasting constituted its primary spiritual exercises.

Of course, the number "40" has always had special spiritual significance regarding preparation. On Mount Sinai, preparing to receive the Ten Commandments, "Moses stayed there with the Lord for 40 days and 40 nights, without eating any food or drinking any water" (Ex 34:28). Elijah walked "40 days and 40 nights" to the mountain of the Lord, Mount Horeb (another name for Sinai) (I Kgs 19:8). Most importantly, Jesus fasted and prayed for "40 days and 40 nights" in the desert before He began His public ministry (Mt 4:2).

Once the 40 days of Lent were established, the next development concerned how much fasting was to be done. In Jerusalem, for instance, people fasted for 40 days, Monday through Friday, but not on Saturday or Sunday, thereby making Lent last for eight weeks. In Rome and in the West, people fasted for six weeks, Monday through Saturday, thereby making Lent last for six weeks. Eventually, the practice prevailed of fasting for six days a week over the course of six weeks, and Ash Wednesday was instituted to bring the number of fast days before Easter to 40. The rules of fasting varied. First, some areas of the Church abstained from all forms of meat and animal products, while others made exceptions for food like fish. For example, Pope St. Gregory (d. 604), writing to St. Augustine of Canterbury, issued the following rule: "We abstain from flesh, meat, and from all things that come from flesh, as milk, cheese and eggs."

Nevertheless, I was always taught, "If you gave something up for the Lord, tough it out. Don't act like a Pharisee looking for a loophole."

Second, the general rule was for a person to have one meal a day, in the evening or at 3 p.m.

These Lenten fasting rules also evolved. Eventually, a smaller repast was allowed during the day to keep up one's strength from manual labor. Eating fish was allowed, and later eating meat was also allowed through the week except on Ash Wednesday and Friday. Dispensations were given for eating dairy products if a pious work was performed, and eventually this rule was relaxed totally. (However, the abstinence from even dairy products led to the practice of blessing Easter eggs and eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday.)

Over the years, modifications have been made to the Lenten observances, making our practices not only simple but also easy. Ash Wednesday still marks the beginning of Lent, which lasts for 40 days, not including Sundays. The present fasting and abstinence laws are very simple: On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, the faithful fast (having only one full meal a day and smaller snacks to keep up one's strength) and abstain from meat; on the other Fridays of Lent, the faithful abstain from meat. People are still encouraged "to give up something" for Lent as a sacrifice. (An interesting note is that technically on Sundays and solemnities like St. Joseph's Day (March 19) and the Annunciation (March 25), one is exempt and can partake of whatever has been offered up for Lent.

Nevertheless, I was always taught, "If you gave something up for the Lord, tough it out. Don't act like a Pharisee looking for a loophole." Moreover, an emphasis must be placed on performing spiritual works, like attending the Stations of the Cross, attending Mass, making a weekly holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament, taking time for personal prayer and spiritual reading and most especially making a good confession and receiving sacramental absolution. Although the practices may have evolved over the centuries, the focus remains the same: to repent of sin, to renew our faith and to prepare to celebrate joyfully the mysteries of our salvation.
Now if you think it absolutely wrong to change lent...to give it some more credence and instead of simply giving up meat for 40 days...become a vegetarian or a vegan, if you think that awful....hell, don't do it. But obviously lent has meant different things to different people forever and has changed dramatically in the past 2,000 years.... choices...we can make choices...and I choose to allow my association with spirit to grow and use opportunities like lent to assist in that... I don't make any claims that all should adhere to the same belief...

How is it that I made a blanket condemnation of everyone else?
Your "lent in our church is not a time to give up something and then take it back up again after Easter" which assumes is is everywhere else.

It's a shame we can't reflect on Lent without reflecting on how better we are than others ...

as to Rocco ... I have not spent my life studying ... and therefor I read and listen to those that have....
Then you'll know that of those who have, few if any support Rocco's thesis, and the consensus is, he's most probably wrong.

but again...are we posting here for discussion of topics ... or pontificate?
I don't know Wil, you tell me ... I post a contemplation, you post with an oblique criticism of those who don't celebrate Lent as you do.

and you prefer it flowered up by those that King James hired to do his bidding...so be it....
Again, you can't help but criticise. I do not follow the King James Bible, by the way, and the Lord's Prayer as we have it today is older than the rather dull Aramaic version you offer.

You see it as 'flowered up', I see it as spiritually insightful, luminous and fragrant ...

Now if you think it absolutely wrong to change lent...to give it some more credence and instead of simply giving up meat for 40 days...
Again, pejorative criticism. There's more to Lent for us than that.

Stop straw-manning Wil, it's tedious.

But obviously lent has meant different things to different people forever and has changed dramatically in the past 2,000 years
No, not really, It's just that you want it to reflect your contemporary feel-good humanist notions, rather than the traditional spiritual values.

In our Church, Wil, Lent is not something that pops up once a year, and then you forget about it. It's part of the Liturgical Cycle. If you don't do the Cycle, you really don't do Lent ... it's not a pick-n-choose option for us, we pick up our cross and follow Him, and Lent means that, too ... It's a chance to deepen our encounter with the Risen Lord; to be buried with Him; to rise with Him.

The Orthodox fasts, the Jews fast, the Moslems fast ... I think all spiritual disciplines practice fasting ... and all of it is directed towards deepening a relationship with the divine, with heaven, with however-you-choose-to-call-it ... but it is about the Other, not, as you suppose, about oneself.

It's a pit you missed the point of the contemplation, Wil ... but it's par for the course here at IO. I did have a second, but on reflection, what's the point? You're not looking for dialogue, just the opportunity to score points.

.... choices...we can make choices...and I choose to allow my association with spirit to grow and use opportunities like lent to assist in that... I don't make any claims that all should adhere to the same belief...
No, but please don't criticise those who believe in Lent as it should be properly understood — Lent is a time to give the ego a rest Wil, to think about God, about one's neighbour, and not about what suits me.

Thomas

I simply tell you the difference in the way we utilize the time....

You claim I am indicating I am right and you are wrong...yet I never said that....

but you have no issues telling me 'don't criticise those who believe in Lent as it should be properly understood'

I can see clearly now....

You claim I am indicating I am right and you are wrong...yet I never said that....
No, but you seem to constantly need to reference the short-comings of others (as you see it) in support of your own position.

It is the way you read things Thomas. I say in our church we do it this way. You say in your church you do it that way. Mine is somehow condemning and yours is not. I DON'T CARE if you celebrate differently...this is a discussion forum...discussing our differences and similarities.

Be proud of who you are and what you believe in....belittling me does not improve your stance. I honor your traditions as your traditions....I quoted from the Catholic page as to how Lent has changed over the years....it is no secret that it will change again...and again....and again over the next centuries.

It is the way you read things Thomas.
Wil ... I posted a lenten contemplation. I'm only reading what you brought into the discussion. The comment 'in our church we don't' implies that in other churches we do ...

All I'm saying is it's unfortunate that you have to make your point by showing others in a false and detrimental light ... it's your modus operadi, your 'old man with a long white beard' image of God you assume we all hold to is just another example.

It's false witness.

I quoted from the Catholic page as to how Lent has changed over the years....it is no secret that it will change again...and again....and again over the next centuries.
And yet it remains essentially the same.

Something else to contemplate ...

Christians paint the cross too negatively, it was never a betrayal, Judas fulfilled prophesy yet is made the antagonist. As you rightly say this is central to your faith, indeed there cannot be Christianity without this single action, Jesus would have been ignored like the rest of the messianic claimants. Christians need to see Judas in the right light, he should be seen as a saint, for despite loving his master, he has done what had to be done. His love is undeniable, for he has killed himself because he could not stand knowing the master was no more. Call it guilt, yet still he has made Jesus viable as Messiah.

We can go so far as to state it was a conspiracy, that Jesus needed to fulfill the prophecy, and so has ordered his disciple to take these actions, but who is Jesus without the resurrection that came after? It is all thanks to Judas.

Thomas, In his defence I do think you are reading to much into that one sentence. Not that any one of you would be above putting your own faith above the others.

I find it fascinating that I respect both of you equally, and see through both your perspectives equally well, even when they clash against themselves. You both understand much more then I ever hope to understand, and yet, I wish you could see what I see in each other, because I'm not sure you do.

Wil ... I posted a lenten contemplation. I'm only reading what you brought into the discussion. The comment 'in our church we don't' implies that in other churches we do ...

Of course it is an implication that other churches do....you've already stated you fast and then take it back up. We simply use a different methodology. We utilize lent to take the opportunity to give up a habit that doesn't benefit us, expand a spiritual practice.

Yes you and others have a diffferent methodology, but if you feel slighted by my 'thought on lent' I leave it to your thread to think away and I'll go back to posting on the Lenten thread I started a year or two ago...

Of course it is an implication that other churches do....you've already stated you fast and then take it back up.
But that's not all they do.

We simply use a different methodology. We utilize lent to take the opportunity to give up a habit that doesn't benefit us, expand a spiritual practice.
Perhaps I might have better made a better point by saying we do that all year round, not just at Lent. The Liturgical Cycle is a spiritual journey, of which Lent is just a part ...

Thomas

Thomas, In his defence I do think you are reading to much into that one sentence.
Possible.

... and yet, I wish you could see what I see in each other, because I'm not sure you do.
Probably because here at IO, most of what I do is try and correct the mis-representation of the Christian faith (intentional or otherwise).

I really have no problem with those of other traditions, as many assume I do, I owe an enormous debt to a Tibetan Buddhist, more than one Sufi Sheikh ... I have no problem with what people think and believe, I do with what people think and mis-represent what I believe.

God bless,

Thomas

I really have no problem with those of other traditions, as many assume I do, I owe an enormous debt to a Tibetan Buddhist, more than one Sufi Sheikh ... I have no problem with what people think and believe, I do with what people think and mis-represent what I believe.

That is precisely what I always thought you were doing. We can always make an effort to be as clear about our intent as possible, but most people will always read things into what we do and say based on their past experiences. I do think you've made a good effort, but everyone here will have preconceived notions about your church that they will never get over.

I do want to make it clear how much I respect you, Thomas, I see both great knowledge and great understanding. It's not lost on everyone, least of all Wil.

Thomas, you tell us what goes on in your church....I say what goes on in my church...we are both one of thousands of denominations....which means there are dozens, hundreds if not thousands of variations on this theme. You claim I indicate that mine is superior, I'm trying not to...just defining the differences.
Thomas said:
please don't criticise those who believe in Lent as it should be properly understood
Again my brother....you are not defending Christianity but Catholicism....and I'm guessing your branch of Catholicism....if you came to the states, or Brazil....I am sure you'd see differences in their traditions....

Christianity....those that believe in, andfollow the teachings of Jesus...range from Rastafarians, to Mormons, to Jehovah Witnesses, to New Thought, who knows how far and wide believers are... but the one thing we know....nobody hold the corner on this market.

But they got the Pope!
Lol....yeah they do....till February 28th.

And he is the leader of Catholics....he doesn't speak for Christians, but Catholics. He doesn't speak on the behalf of ordained women or gays; folks who believe in the availablity of contraception or women's reproductive rights; folks who don't believe they go to hell if they don't make it to church for mass, or even believe in hell.

Yes, that is just a few items...but yeah, you have identified a major difference....whether the smoke is white, grey or black....means nothing to most Christians.

Thomas,

re: "At the heart of Christianity is the Cross."

A tad off topic, but I wonder if the means of execution had been the electric chair if that would be considered the heart of Christianity? And would the catholics be making the sign of the electric chair and would there be electric chairs on top of churches?

Back