International Baha'i Convention in Haifa:

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
Delegates arrive for International Baha'i Convention

27 April 2013
HAIFA, Israel —

More than 1,000 delegates representing 157 countries have arrived here to participate in the 11th International Baha'i Convention.

A global election process that began with Baha'is in more than 100,000 cities and villages around the world culminates on Monday, when delegates will gather to elect the nine members of the Universal House of Justice, the international governing council of the Baha'i Faith.

First elected 50 years ago in 1963, the Universal House of Justice is entrusted by Baha'u'llah in His own writings with exerting a positive influence on the welfare of humankind, promoting education, peace and global prosperity, and safeguarding human honor and the position of religion. It is responsible for applying the Baha'i teachings to the requirements of an ever-evolving society and legislating on matters not explicitly covered in the Faith's sacred texts.

• Delegates from all over the world arrived in Haifa this week to participate in the 11th International Baha'i Convention.

The convention, held once every five years, runs from 29 April to 2 May. In addition to the election, it will include consultation on various issues related to the work of the worldwide Baha'i community.

The election process began more than a year ago when Baha'is around the world began meeting in district conventions to elect delegates to their own national conventions. At those national gatherings, the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of each country is elected annually. The members of these Assemblies gather as electors at the global level for the International Baha'i Convention.

As well as the delegates attending the convention in person, more than 400 are sending their ballots by mail.

Delegates arrive for International Baha'i Convention - Bahá'í World News Service

Actually the International Convention noted above is part of the Ridvan season and occurs every five years.. The National Spiritual Assemblies and Local Spiritual Assemblies are elected every year... there are a hundred and eighty two National Spiritual Assemblies and over a eleven thousand Local Spiritual Assemblies holding elections during Ridvan.

Arthra, is it true that the Baha'i are forbidden from converting people of the Jewish faith in Israel?

If so, why did the leaders of the Baha'i faith make such a concession?

Vessario,

Although this is off topic...

It should be noted that Baha'is generally don't proselytize... We are forbidden from using pressure of any kind when teaching our Faith.. We offer no inducements.

Years ago when Baha'u'llah was imprisoned and exile in Akka when it was a prison/fortress under the Ottoman Sultan Baha'u'llah forbade teaching the Faith in that area.

The state of Israel also has laws against proselytizing.

Baha'is elect Universal House of Justice

29 April 2013
HAIFA, Israel —

More than 1,000 Baha'is from 157 countries cast their ballots today in the election to choose the nine members of the Universal House of Justice, the international governing body of the Baha'i Faith.

For some three hours, the delegates to the 11th International Baha'i Convention filed one by one across the stage, each dropping a ballot into a simple wooden box. The event was characterized by a spirit of reverence and joy, with each voter being called by name, in alphabetical order by country.

The delegates to the convention are the members of Baha'i National Spiritual Assemblies, who were themselves elected by delegates chosen at the grassroots level in their own countries. Thus, virtually every adult Baha'i in the world has the opportunity to participate in the election of the Universal House of Justice.

Around 400 delegates who could not attend sent ballots by mail. Each absentee ballot was brought forward by a teller, who removed an identifying outer envelope and dropped the inner contents into the ballot box.

• Delegates gathered in Haifa for the 11th International Baha'i Convention.
Enlarge (2 images)

In the case of Iran, where the Baha'i community faces intense persecution and there is no National Spiritual Assembly, the absence of delegates was noted by the placement of a bouquet of red roses at the front of the stage.

During the voting, a number of procedures were taken to ensure the integrity of the process and when the voting was completed, the ballot box was sealed with tape bearing the signature of the head chief teller, Karen McKye, herself a delegate from Canada. She was assisted by three other tellers on stage, who carefully checked voters and absentee ballots against a master list of delegates and saw to it that ballots were carefully placed in the box.
The result of the election will be announced tomorrow.

Universal House of Justice elected
The members of the Universal House of Justice are, from left to right, Paul Lample, Firaydoun Javaheri, Payman Mohajer, Gustavo Correa, Shahriar Razavi, Stephen Birkland, Stephen Hall, Chuungu Malitonga, and Ayman Rouhani. They were elected by delegates to the 11th International Baha'i Convention in Haifa.
اعضای جدید بیت العدل اعظم الهی
از چپ : پُل لمپل ، فریدون جواهری، پیمان مهاجر، گوستاو کُرّیا، شهریار رضوی ، استیفن برکلند ، استیفن هال ، چونگو مالیتونگا ، ایمن روحانی ،

More on the International Baha'i Convention

Eleventh International Baha'i Convention: A global community reflects
Eleventh International Baha'i Convention: A global community reflects - Bahá'í World News Service

HAIFA, Israel, 4 May 2013 (BWNS) — More than 1,000 representatives of the Baha'i world community gathered here, 29 April-2 May, for a unique global event that was infused with joy, reverence and purpose.

The eleventh International Baha'i Convention marked the 50th anniversary of the inaugural Convention in 1963 at which the Universal House of Justice – the international governing council of the Baha'i Faith – was first elected.

A global election

The Convention saw the election of the nine members of the Universal House of Justice for the coming five year term. In a unique electoral process, all forms of campaigning, electioneering and nominations are strictly avoided. Rather, after prayerful reflection, the assembled delegates silently and privately wrote down the names of nine individuals who they felt would be best able to serve on the institution.

For more than three hours, the representatives then filed across the stage to deposit their votes in a simple wooden box. The following day, the result was announced, and the new membership of the Universal House of Justice received a warm and reverent welcome from the gathering. See Universal House of Justice elected - Bahá'í World News Service.

A learning community

Central to the proceedings were consultative sessions during which delegates from more than 150 countries – women and men representative of every background and walk of life – had the opportunity to share their thoughts, experiences and insights as part of a global learning process.

The main focus of deliberations was outlined in a letter from the Universal House of Justice, presented to the Convention. The message described the work before the Baha'i community as it strives to contribute to the spiritual and material advancement of civilization.

Many of the insights shared from diverse localities around the world – particularly concerning the efforts of young people to take responsibility for the spiritual education of those younger than themselves – had a universal resonance for delegates.

"I begin to identify with what people are talking about and I see the same challenges that we face and how people are managing to overcome it," said Nancy Oloro Robarts, a delegate from Uganda. "And I start to appreciate that the Baha'i world is one."

Ximena Osorio from Colombia noted a visible change in the picture that is emerging of today's worldwide Baha'i community.

"Sometimes you don't realize it because you are in your own country, considering your own challenges," she said. "But when you come here you can see that things are moving forward, we are changing and building a culture that is different."

"And all these different activities and elements that we are trying to apply at the very local level have an impact at the global level."

Tributes to the Baha'is of Iran

The proceedings included several vibrant musical presentations from various countries. In one, representatives from the Democratic Republic of Congo paid special tribute to the long-suffering Baha'i community of Iran.

"Though they are physically not present at this Convention, they are spiritually with us," one of the singers told the gathering.

The absence of the Baha'is of Iran – where the Baha'i community faces intense persecution and its administration has been dissolved – was noted by the placement of a bouquet of red roses at the front of the stage for the duration of the Convention.

Vision and confidence

As delegates returned to their respective countries, all took heart from the words of the Universal House of Justice which observed "the Baha'i community moving steadily forward, advancing in understanding, eager to acquire insights from experience, ready to take on new tasks..."

Vijitha Serasinghe, a member of the National Spiritual Assembly of Sri Lanka, said both his vision and confidence had been raised by his participation in the Convention.

"I see unity in diversity and the oneness of humanity in reality," said Mr. Serasinghe. "I have a strong feeling to go back and carry out our activities with a lot more confidence than before."

953_01.jpg

A group photograph of the 11th International Baha'i Convention. The bouquet of red roses in the foreground noted the absence of delegates from Iran.

Back