Dialogue

tomasz.t

Reaction score
Dear people

My name is Tomasz. I am Polish psychologist. My dream is to write doctoral project regarding inter religious dialogue.

(and religious pluralism). I do believe that we all believe into the same God.

Could please advice 8 -15 the most important philosophers, activists etc. representing inter religious dialogue.

Also if possible, please advice titles of the most important books regarding this subject ( please do not advice 20 books for example, because sometimes only few regard mentioned subject).

I only know John Hick, and John Paul 2nd (who was more philosopher than theologian).

Also please advice works of Hick regarding his Kantian background - that open his thinking for pluralism.

Please do not send me to Google - it generates millions of scores. My question is addressed to people who already have some knowledge regarding this topic and can offer specific answer.

Religion of persons does not matter - I respect all religions also agnostics.

Please show me the way.

Thanks for your time

Best Regards

Tomasz

P.S. Sorry for limited English - I keep on working on it. However, I am not native

Greetings, Tomasz.

Religion of persons does not matter - I respect all religions also agnostics.
But not the atheists? There are atheist religions.

However, may I suggest Adi Shankaracharya (Acharya - Professor, the First Sankara - later it became a title for the heads of four seminaries established by the First Sankara in four corners of India) tinkering with atheism, and Madhvacharya (Professor Madhva) militantly monotheistic in Hinduism (really one in reaction to the other)?

The first philosophy is known as 'Advaita' (non-duality), the second as 'Dvaita' (duality). I suggest check in Wikipedia.

Thank you

but I look rather for philosophers (if he IS philosopher sorry)

BESR REGARDS

Thank you so much!

Dear Friends

please keep on sending me more and more suggestions.

I plan to read at least 100 books in English, and 40 in Polish.

More regarding dialogue of religions have not been written yet - new idea, no many works so far.

RESPECT

You might want to look at the Perennialist School: René Guenon (French philosopher) and Frithjof Schuon (Swiss), Harvard orientalist Ananda Coomaraswamy and the Swiss art historian Titus Burckhardt, Marco Pallis (Tebetan Buddhist) and Martin Lings (English Islamicist) also.

They do not speak for any particular tradition (they tend towards Islam and Sufism), the Perennialist school is fundamentally the doctrine of Sanatana Dharma – the "eternal religion" – of Hindu Neo-Vedantins. The same metaphysical principles were supposedly formulated in ancient Greece, in particular, by Plato and later Neoplatonists, and in Christendom by Meister Eckhart (in the West) and Gregory Palamas (in the East). The same can be said of the Tao, of Buddhism.

The hold all religions have an esoteric dimension which is universal. Schuon is noted for his "Transcendent Unity of Religions", but all of the Perennialists hold the view that each religion is an expression of the one God.

Back