What is your favorite Bible story and or quote and why?

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I guess my favorite Bible story is, The Tower of Babble. I like this for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it's short, lol! :) Seriously though, this little tale, among other things, goes a long way into explaining the reasons there are different languages, varying viewpoints and differences in interpretation throughout the world.

In my personal ministry, I seldom quote the Bible chapter and verse. That's because, taken out of context, the meaning of many Biblical quotes becomes distorted. That said, there are a couple of quotes I really like.

(Acts 2:1-11) "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."

The word of God was spoken in only one language, yet all the different nationalities in attendance heard it in their own language. That's powerful stuff. This may just explain why the various scriptures throughout the world are similar, but not exactly the same.

Lastly, I've always liked this one,

(Luke 10:21) "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and prudent, and have revealed them unto babes."

This holds special meaning for me. I have a young Grand Nephew that I often attempt to impart wisdom. Thing is, nearly every time I've tried to teach him something, he's taught me something as well. That little guy's take on life, will really make you think.

(Luke 10:21) "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and prudent, and have revealed them unto babes."

This holds special meaning for me. I have a young Grand Nephew that I often attempt to impart wisdom. Thing is, nearly every time I've tried to teach him something, he's taught me something as well. That little guy's take on life, will really make you think.

:) That's really nice. I'd love for you to share some of your Grand Nephew's viewpoints!

My favorite passage at this time is out of First Corinthians. I like it because it makes a lot of sense and is truly humbling. Sometimes the wisdom of scriptures does not really make sense to us, but God is aware of this and points out that the "the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom."

18 [L For] The ·teaching [message; word] about the cross is ·foolishness [folly] to those who are ·being lost [headed for destruction; perishing], but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 [L For] It is written in the Scriptures:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
And I will ·reject [thwart; bring to nothing] the ·intelligence [discernment; cleverness] of the ·intelligent [discerning; clever; Is. 29:14].”

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the ·educated person [scholar; or scribe; teacher of the law]? Where is the ·skilled talker [orator; debater; philosopher] of this ·world [age]? ·God has [L Has not God…?] made the wisdom of the world foolish. 21 ·In the wisdom of God the world did [or God wisely determined that the world would] not know God through its own wisdom. So God ·chose [was pleased] to use the ·message that sounds foolish [L folly/foolishness of what was preached] to save those who believe. 22 [L For; Since] The Jews ·ask for [demand] ·miracles [L signs], and the Greeks ·want [seek; look for] wisdom. 23 But we preach ·that Christ was crucified [Christ crucified; or a crucified Messiah]. This ·causes the Jews to stumble [is a stumbling block/offense/obstacle to Jews] and is ·foolishness [folly] to Gentiles. 24 But to those people God has called—both Jews and Greeks—Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 [L For] Even the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

I have many favorite stories but if I have to name one ... "The Good Samaritan".

This is, from the way I look at, where our Lord tells us what group or beliefs you belong to is not the key to salvation. A lawyer asks, "Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" ... Then Jesus tells the story of the good Samaritan, who saves a total stranger without minding the cost. Then said Jesus unto him [the lawyer],"Go and do thou likewise".

In the first century, Jews and Samaritans were on bad terms with each other. That's why what Jesus is saying here is even more striking. He is emphasizing that an individual of a different group with a different belief can exhibit moral behavior that is superior to your own people. Two Jews avoided the injured traveler -- thought he's dead and were afraid of defiling themselves by touching him? They acted to protect their own welfare -- whereas the Samaritan cared more about the welfare of the fallen stranger than himself.

Be like this Samaritan, and you shall inherit eternal life {in spite of your religious beliefs}... is the message I get from this story and the reason I love it.

One of my favorite accounts is the book of Jonah. When I read the book of Jonah for the first time, I literally fell back in my chair and laughed out loud at the thought of hapless Jonah, sprinting, trying to run away from God. I laughed again when he was thrown off the boat (I pictured him twirling through the air like a Frisbee). There are other times I chuckled such as Jesus' calming of the storm. When He was awoken from a comfortable sleep, to the flailing arms and loud, panicked screams of his Apostles because of a violent storm. I sensed that it miffed Him quite a bit. When He rebuked them for having such weak faith, I pictured Him gritting His teeth in frustration, with some bed-head going on... shouting at the storm... then walking off, shaking His head, and going back to sleep.

Hi Irene —

I have many favorite stories but if I have to name one ... "The Good Samaritan".
That's the way I hear it. But I found out, in my studies, that the story was told differently for over a thousand years!

So please accept this as my inspiration of that story. I'm not saying other interpretations are wrong, indeed far from it. The moral lesson is self-evident and acknowledged universally.

But the mystical message is sometimes overlooked.

In the ancient exegesis, in the way the Fathers and the Scholars told it, the poor fellow left beaten by the roadside is us, brought down by sin! (By the devil, who robs us of our virtue.)

'A certain priest' (v31) must be a Levite, because by law the priesthood was drawn from that tribe. "In like manner also a Levite" (v32), all priests were Levites, but not all Levites were priests. Those who were not were nevertheless indentured to the priesthood and performed much like a deaconate. They were servants of the Temple but could not perform the more serious liturgical rites. Nor could they enter the Holy of Holies. The point here is Our Lord is excoriating the entire priestly 'structure'. It's a given in Jewish law that every Jew is required to give succour to those in need. Here, even the institutional priesthood ignores the need of their congregation, preferring to cross the road and retain their ritual purity, rather than defile their hands.

Our Lord is the 'certain Samaritan' (v33). He refers to Himself thus because He is not recognised among His own people, indeed is reviled by the religious authorities.

The next bit is where the 'forgotten language of symbol' really shines forth:

"And going up to him, bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine: and setting him upon his own beast, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And the next day he took out two pence, and gave to the host, and said: Take care of him; and whatsoever thou shalt spend over and above, I, at my return, will repay thee" (v34-35).

He binds his wounds. He begins the physical (earthly) healing process.

Pouring in oil and wine. Oil is the liquid 'essence' (water) of the 'substance' (such as olive oil is extracted from the olive), and oil 'supports' fire, which is the sign of the Spirit (as in 'tongues of flame'). Wine however, in the symbolism of the ancient world, contains both water (essence) and fire (spirit). So we're talking about a healing of body, soul and spirit.

and setting him upon his own beast This was said to mean Our Lord took the burden of his fallen humanity upon Himself, to uplift it. As Athanasius said: "God came to man, that man might come to God." He knew a thing or two!

brought him to an inn The Church He founded.

and took care of him. Christ is present in the hearts of those who love Him.

And the next day That's a bit technical and need not delay us.

he took out two pence, Baptism and the Eucharist.

and gave to the host, The priest of the new order He had founded.

and said: Take care of him; and whatsoever thou shalt spend over and above, I, at my return, will repay thee. That is, whatever we give, His reward will be greater.

Another theme of mine: Because Our Lord says 'me', that means He declares His authority to dispense the reward of heaven (as He does elsewhere), and that is a clear claim to divine status, for only God can do that.

+++

That last bit was me (in line with the tradition), but the brief commentary on the text is from ancient Christian tradition, not me. I hope you do not think I'm trying to 'trump' yours, which is no less valid.

Indeed, far from it, because mystically ...

When we do as the Good Samaritan does, it is God (or 'The Good' if you will) working through us: "None is good but God alone" (Luke 18:19). The good that we do is our doing, but His good. When we do 'our' good, both we and that good are infused with Divine Grace, with goodness Itself.

Thus faith is its own reward. Faith is doing good for the sake of God (or 'The Good'), rather than for the knowledge of God (or 'The Good'), which is doing good for the 'reward effect'.

As I'm writing this, it's folding back into other texts (Scripture is far too complete, far too seamless, to be a merely human weave) that seem to confirm both the old and the less old exegesis ... so I will stop ...

... but by our telling it, we're doing a good beyond anything we can measure ...

Hi Thomas :)

“So please accept this as my inspiration of that story. I'm not saying other interpretations are wrong, indeed far from it. The moral lesson is self-evident and acknowledged universally.
... I hope you do not think I'm trying to 'trump' yours, which is no less valid.”

I very much thank you for your gentlemanly politeness, but I know this is a discussion and debate site, please, never be reluctant in giving me your opinions upfront, an opposition or a critique on my view, I'm man enough to take it ;) I certainly don't hesitate voicing my opinions.

I remember reading about the allegorical interpretation of the parable. Was it Origen, who first interpreted it this way, or Irenaeus? I read Calvin didn't care for the allegorical reading (I'm not a Calvinist though) ... The thing is ... if the allegorical interpretation is true, I'd be perplexed, why did Christ say "Go and do thou likewise", instruct us to mirror the act of which only God(Christ) could do [saving sin-ridden humanity from damnation] ...

I take everything you said at its full value. I very much appreciate your point of view. I can clearly see you've invested yourself in theological study and acquired quite extensive knowledge, which I envy, since I haven't the ability ... I read several of your other posts as well. Some of them were over my head, but I still enjoyed them very much. I don't always "fully" get what a poem means, but still can sense an exquisite tone in it. -- Are you a minister? if that's the case, of what denomination, if you don't mind me asking ...

Theology is not my forte ... I'm a simple person. My brain is not made for it *chuckle* ... I just try to love people and help people as our Lord did, and my interpretation of the good Samaritan inspires me.

“When we do as the Good Samaritan does, it is God (or 'The Good' if you will) working through us: "None is good but God alone" (Luke 18:19). The good that we do is our doing, but His good. When we do 'our' good, both we and that good are infused with Divine Grace, with goodness Itself."

"Thus faith is its own reward. Faith is doing good for the sake of God (or 'The Good'), rather than for the knowledge of God (or 'The Good'), which is doing good for the 'reward effect'.”

You know ... even though our view on the parable is not quite the same, I'm in complete agreement with what you're saying here... Isn't that something? Taking a different path yet arriving at the same destination ...

There are too many to mention, but two of my favorites are
  1. Num 25:11-12 - not so much what it says but how it is physically rendered in the Masoretic text, and
  2. Isa 45:7 - as a great example of the the use of Biblical parallelism to inform the text.
But the entire Tanakh is littered with jewels.

Hi Irene —
I remember reading about the allegorical interpretation of the parable. Was it Origen, who first interpreted it this way, or Irenaeus?
This is what I like about IO. You asked the question, and I immediately thought 'Origen, obviously!' ... but no, you're right. Irenaeus and others ... so the anagogical interpretation was always around.

But, and here's the interesting thing, in the Gospel of Luke, 'the Gospel of Social Justice', the interpretation that Luke was inferring is the moral/ethical one, 'your' interpretation.

So it's with a sigh of relief that there was others before Origen. Yes, he was the symbolist par excellence, and I think somewhere, one of his critics said, "If you read Origen, then every bloomin' pebble beside the road has a spiritual significance!" :D

The thing is ... if the allegorical interpretation is true, I'd be perplexed, why did Christ say "Go and do thou likewise", instruct us to mirror the act of which only God(Christ) could do [saving sin-ridden humanity from damnation]
Good question! A: It further reinforces the notion that Luke probably meant it in the moral sense ... but B:

It is axiomatic of the Catholic Faith that we are called to participate in our own salvation. We have to 'make the first move', but as every commentary says, having does so, we find Christ waiting there for us, and we realising His moving towards us is ... always ...

It seems to me the Reformation did a lot of damage to that notion, of our participation and the inherent goodness and dignity of the human person. For me the whole Doctrine of the Blessed Virgin turns on this point. What is most important is, she is 'just' one of us, she's not a demigod or an angel, and when she said 'yes', the angel didn't say 'well tough, girlie, because no-one's asking you!' — quite the opposite (and what if she'd said 'No'?)

Are you a minister? if that's the case, of what denomination, if you don't mind me asking ...
No, not a minister.

But c'mon! I'm dogmatic, argumentative, bellicose, stuck in the past, with a low opinion of modern mores and values, I'm right and everyone's wrong, and you're all going to hell ... isn't it obvious? I'm a Roman Catholic!

I do walk the line between Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy, but when I stray too far, then it's all greek to me! (I also enjoy terrible puns, btw.)

You know ... even though our view on the parable is not quite the same, I'm in complete agreement with what you're saying here... Isn't that something? Taking a different path yet arriving at the same destination ...
Sssh! Don't tell anyone this, but we are a surprisingly broad church ... it's something we like to keep under our hats.

My favourite bible story is when a woman was brought to Jesus, who committed adultery. And the religious teachers asked Jesus what should be done to her. Jesus did not answer them but wrote on the floor instead. Then He asked the one without sin to cast the first stone. And all the women's accuser left. Then, Jesus told the woman He would not condemn her but asked her to go and sin no more.

I like this bible story best.

Hi Thomas ...

"Irenaeus and others ... so the anagogical interpretation was always around."

Mmm ... then I'm forced to consider that the allegorical reading could have been passed on from John the Apostle through Polycarp ... that would add a strong credibility to 'your' interpretation ... but I like *mine* and I'm sticking to it! :D

"It seems to me the Reformation did a lot of damage to that notion, of our participation and the inherent goodness and dignity of the human person."

The Reformation is something I'd like to know more about your thoughts on. Do you think Pope Leo X was right to excommunicate Luther? Although I lament that Luther helped create anti-Semitic sentiment later in his life, as a Protestant myself, I acknowledge his contribution to the Christian faith. I want to hear your candid opinion on him. But people here were talking about how the original topic gets quickly derailed, so I'll create a new thread when I have time with a little more detail of what I want to ask you.

~~~~~~~
~I'm dogmatic,
Any solid religious practice needs a certain solid basis ...

~argumentative,
It shows that you have a conviction you firmly uphold ...

~bellicose,
Because you're so passionate about defending your beliefs ...

~stuck in the past,
If you mean that as being old-fashioned, count me in.

~with a low opinion of modern mores and values,
Glad to find someone I can moan over modern culture with ...:D

~I'm right and everyone's wrong,
Well, we all feel that from time to time ...

~and you're all going to hell ...
After reading many of your posts, I don't believe you believe that ...
{btw, I loved your piece in "How do you define love"...}

~isn't it obvious? I'm a Roman Catholic!
So is the Pope and I'm a big fan ;)

~I also enjoy terrible puns, btw.
Because you are a theological pun-dit?
... C'mon, where's your courtesy laugh, be merciful!

"Sssh! Don't tell anyone this, but we are a surprisingly broad church ... it's something we like to keep under our hats."

Okaaaay.... we'll keep it quiet ... but can I just say one thing out loud?

Pope Francis rocks!

My favourite bible story is when a woman was brought to Jesus, who committed adultery. And the religious teachers asked Jesus what should be done to her. Jesus did not answer them but wrote on the floor instead. Then He asked the one without sin to cast the first stone. And all the women's accuser left. Then, Jesus told the woman He would not condemn her but asked her to go and sin no more.

I like this bible story best.

That is another one of my most favorites!
(tough to choose between this one and the Samaritan ... )

Nice to meet you, chongjasmine :)

Back