Chinese Philosophy

Kaspar

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but i'll have to see what replies it gets.

I was wondering if anyone knows about todays Chinese Philosophy. China is a communist government by name but i don't think it follows the teachings of Karl Marx.
I read something about Chinese philosiphy being like water that it is weak but at the same time increadibly versitile so that it goes around rocks and finds the fastest way to the ocean.

Also someone said
if you're rich and too happy then you don't work as hard so you may as well be poor
I don't agree because I see being happy as a higher priority than being rich and successful.

I know little on this subject so i would gladly appreciate any replys.

:) Peace

Namaste Kaspar,

thank you for the post.

China isn't really a communist government, they're socalists. nevertheless, they have implemented western-style ecnomonic zones in some areas of the country.

remember, when the communists took over, it was due to a variety of factors... the lingering feelings of the Opium Wars and the desparate poverty that the rual people were living in.

that hasn't changed, at this time, even with the economic reforms for certain areas. sure, those areas are doing well... it's the rest of the country that is suffering.

now... as for Chinese philosophy... there are several extant schools, though the classics are still used... i.e. Mencius/Confucious and Lao-tzu.

i think my link is the same as Alexas....

http://uweb.superlink.net/~fsu/philo.html

the interested reader will find a weath of material for reading at this link.

Thanks for the link alexa and Vajradhara.
Theres alot of information on that site. I'm going to print it out and have a good look :).

Relatively cheap book to introduce Chinese philosophy:

Chan: Sourcebook in Chinese Philosophy (Princeton 1973), less than $30 as new but historically comprehensive.

Living in society means following stupid rules and not thinking for youself - look at the 'rush hour'.

Chinese philosophy is a very non-specific term, rather like talking of 'European Christianity'. It's diversified over the thousands of years and has many different exponents.

Lacking a religious figurehead upon which to focus, it tends to encourage contemplation and an internal understanding of the self - projecting the image of God inward, to put it crudely.

Communism has a mixed relation with Chinese philosophy; both espouse egalitarianism, but the former, like all political systems, requires unconditional loyalty.

Confucianism became the dominant form of philosophy because the books became part of the school matriculation - if you wanted a job in the civil service, you were tested on your knowledge of philosophic treaties.

Egalitarian tyrrany has always been an odd mixture in Chinese history. If anyone can explain it to me, feel free.

Bonjour alexa,

alexa said:
Living in a communist society means following stupid rules, "working for the others" and not thinking about yourself.
Don't you give 50% of your income to the government for social programs? Do you think our system is stupid?
___
Kal

Just to play Devil's advocate and having had close business contacts with China, if the rules say you have to live 5 000 km from home for 11 months a year and learn English, you might think some of the rules a bit silly.

Other ruels that shut off major rivers and force millions of people away from their homes are also a bit irksome, to say the least.

Having said that, living anywhere means putting up with rules that are silly - a rule is set by someone other than me.

Getting back to Chinese Philosophy. A good deal of it speaks of how to live with.. to put up with.. to resist through acceptace..

Other branches teach to strike back and Sun Tzu on the Art of War is a good example.

Cant remember where I got this from, but I was under the impression that Chinese Communists were Maoists rather than Marxists. Maoism being the abolition of all esoteric culture. Please someone tell me Im wrong, because from the nation who brought us Kung Fu, that would be a tragedy.

Kaldayen said:
Bonjour alexa,
Don't you give 50% of your income to the government for social programs? Do you think our system is stupid?
Kal
Bonjour Kaldayen,

Sorry, I didn't see your reply earlier. It's not a very good moment to speak about taxes. I have to give them more this year. And for what ? To elect another government as corrupt as the current one ? Or for those who prefer to stay on BS instead of working ? Yes, our system is stupid, too. :mad:

Back