Child custody laws in Arab countries

letmespeak

Reaction score
Child custody laws in most Arab countries grant mothers the right of custody over their children during what is called "sinneen al hadanah", or the maternity years, equivalent to seven years old for a boy and nine for a girl. Once these so-called maternity years are over (since when did being a mother have a time limit?), the law grants fathers the right of custody over children. In many cases, the father will have remarried and these young children find themselves living with their stepmother and seeing their mother a few days a month, if at all. Well aware of these laws, most discontented women are faced with an unbearable choice: to stay in an unhappy marriage with their children? Or to forgo the marriage and to forgo being with their children?

Arab countries...

What are you defining as Arab countries?

I asked this question the last time you arrived and started a thread....

Two posts...two thread starts....no responses to questions...

Do I smell an agenda or do I need a shower?

Arab countries...

What are you defining as Arab countries?

I asked this question the last time you arrived and started a thread....

Two posts...two thread starts....no responses to questions...

Do I smell an agenda or do I need a shower?

I think 'let me speak' is sort of a clue.

Arab nations, from Islamic Law, allow Fathers the right to raise male children.
Too egalitarian for some?
I feel that there should be equality but I strongly believe that a child needs it's mother as they have that maternal bond and is one of the strongest connections in nature .

I'm reluctant to post here since I admit a personal bias against Islam as well as failure to subscribe to the current American left's political correctness that demands every religious belief system must be validated unconditionally.

Yet I can recognize that laws and practices in Muslim countries are in fact changing. The Saudi Gazette is a reasonable online overview of current affairs in Saudi Arabia, the nation that views itself as the guardian of Islam.

This source is hardly unbiased. Yet it frankly admits that women can't drive cars in SA, and discusses a women's campaign to gain this right. The women campaigning for this are doing so openly, not as if they are in fear of being persecuted over the issue. Women can have paid professional careers in SA, including at universities.

Mothers and other women don't have legal or social equality, and probably never will. That's pretty bad from the standpoint of western PC. But SA doesn't subscribe to PC either, and we can't claim that its human rights climate, if not very good, is getting worse. It's much better there than in the destabilized countries in its region, and probably improving gradually.

I feel that there should be equality but I strongly believe that a child needs it's mother as they have that maternal bond and is one of the strongest connections in nature .

Too 'mother fixation' for their own good. Children do better raised by a Father rather than a Mother; in education and emotional stability.
Anyway, I thought the age was 10?

Back