Do you call your book a bible?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Do you call the Tanakh, the bible?

Or 'a' bible? Are they interchangeable? Is there any reason/differentiation using one word or the other?

We (Christians) call the new and old testament combined 'The Bible'.

The Septuagint is only a particular Greek translation of the Hebrew correct?

Are Pentateuch and Torah used interchangeably? Is there any reason/differentiation using one word or the other?

"Tanakh", as you probably know, is an acronym formed from the first syllables of three Hebrew words: Torah (Law), Neviim (Prophets) and Kesuvim (Writings). It always refers to that collection of 24 books.

"Bible" is a more generic word whose meaning depends on the context. Within Judaism, it refers to the Tanakh, to the best of my understanding. As you pointed out, to Christians it has a different meaning. And of course the word "bible" can be used in non-religious contexts too, as a basic reference.

"Torah" usually refers to the five books of Moses, but it's sometimes used in a wider sense to refer to the body of Jewish knowledge. And then there's the Oral Torah, the study of which uses the Talmud as a principle reference. And Torah could also refer specifically to a Sefer Torah, a handwritten Torah scroll, as opposed to a machine-printed text.

I think you're correct about Septuagint, but it's not a word I have occasion to use.

As far as I know, Pentateuch is synonomous with Torah, in the latter's narrow meaning as the five books of Moses.

Personally, the word I use would depend on the context and who the audience is.

Yes the Torah.... I hear it meaning all encompassing all the thought, including the Talmud...and then sometimes just the books of Moses...that is interesting. In the 'whole' sense, does the Torah include the midrash?

Or the scrolls eh? That are used in the synagogue? I've never asked how many books are in there...is it the whole bible or just the books of Moses.

Yes the Torah.... I hear it meaning all encompassing all the thought, including the Talmud...and then sometimes just the books of Moses...that is interesting. In the 'whole' sense, does the Torah include the midrash?

In the wide sense, I think it can include anything even remotely related to the five books of Moses. I don't know if there's a common definition, so opinions would probably vary.

Or the scrolls eh? That are used in the synagogue? I've never asked how many books are in there...is it the whole bible or just the books of Moses.

A Torah scroll contains the text of the five books of Moses. Just the text; letters only, no vowel markings, no punctuation, no book/chapter/verse labels and no other markings; made by hand according to very precise standards.

Back