what religion's teach.

paul

recovering sinner
Reaction score
I'm interested what religion's really teach, not opions, but what religiond allways taught.
For example christianity is not solely what the so called Bible teaches, they a re books, written by different people throughout history, but also understood in a context wider than the writings that were chosen to be canonized as holy scripture by men. What these people written about in this scripture , did and said, would not all have been written in these little books. Far more would have been done and passed down in persons, before they actually decided to write accounts of certain things.
I think this must be the same with all religions. We need more than the scripture written by the holy persons themselves, but the much wider context in which it was passed down.
I only really have knowledge of Christianity, if christainity is true for me then it has to be within the orthodox and Catholic teachings.
The only other conclusions I can come to is:
Either all religions are true originally, maybe still preserved, or maybe corrupted into religions
. Maybe some or only one is actually true, maybe some were just good men, maybe a bit of myth crept in.
Maybe all true and now the Baha'i faith the latest revelation.
Like for me with Christianity, some American evangelical who uses solely the bible to his own interpretation can not be true to me.
I just want the facts.
Anyone help with this?
Be good to know what Islam really teaches in it's proper context and tradition. And all religions if people could help and direct me to such sources.

If you click on the main page you'll see tenants and info on many religions...

I tend to agree with you on the
Either all religions are true originally, maybe still preserved, or maybe corrupted into religions

I think all try to emulate what was given oooo sooo long ago...and most fall short.

I'm interested what religion's really teach, not opions, but what religiond allways taught.
For example christianity is not solely what the so called Bible teaches, they a re books, written by different people throughout history, but also understood in a context wider than the writings that were chosen to be canonized as holy scripture by men. What these people written about in this scripture , did and said, would not all have been written in these little books. Far more would have been done and passed down in persons, before they actually decided to write accounts of certain things.
I think this must be the same with all religions. We need more than the scripture written by the holy persons themselves, but the much wider context in which it was passed down.
I only really have knowledge of Christianity, if christainity is true for me then it has to be within the orthodox and Catholic teachings.
The only other conclusions I can come to is:
. Maybe some or only one is actually true, maybe some were just good men, maybe a bit of myth crept in.
Maybe all true and now the Baha'i faith the latest revelation.
Like for me with Christianity, some American evangelical who uses solely the bible to his own interpretation can not be true to me.
I just want the facts.
Anyone help with this?
Be good to know what Islam really teaches in it's proper context and tradition. And all religions if people could help and direct me to such sources.
If you truly want to know what Islam teaches, I would encourage you to read the Quran. (quran.com is a good source) shy of that go to a local mosque and ask to speak to an Imam (though I hesitate to offer that as that is still taking someone's opinion which could be flawed given the state of things nowadays). If you have specific questions, there are a few Muslims here that will be glad to answer our POV.

In general, I would feel safe to say that regardless of the Muslim or even Pseudo-Muslim Terrorists, the main theme generally accepted is that the Quran is God's word. Understanding can be found through it alone. If you accept that the Quran is true, then you would look to Hadith for further understanding of practice. This is where finding an Imam or at least a mentor Muslim that you agree with (according to your understanding of the Quran) is very beneficial.

Howsoever you're made to understand, fine.

Do you understand?

Everything is resonance and dissonance, EVERYTHING.

The rest is the frequency between them.

If you truly want to know what Islam teaches, I would encourage you to read the Quran. (quran.com is a good source) shy of that go to a local mosque and ask to speak to an Imam (though I hesitate to offer that as that is still taking someone's opinion which could be flawed given the state of things nowadays). If you have specific questions, there are a few Muslims here that will be glad to answer our POV.

In general, I would feel safe to say that regardless of the Muslim or even Pseudo-Muslim Terrorists, the main theme generally accepted is that the Quran is God's word. Understanding can be found through it alone. If you accept that the Quran is true, then you would look to Hadith for further understanding of practice. This is where finding an Imam or at least a mentor Muslim that you agree with (according to your understanding of the Quran) is very beneficial.

I have heard repeatedly you don't know the Quran until you learn Arabic...and then not until you've memorized it...

thoughts?

I have heard repeatedly you don't know the Quran until you learn Arabic...and then not until you've memorized it...

thoughts?
I think that is a common belief amongst many Muslims who were born and raised that way. Many scholars seem to side with those of us who converted/reverted. I do not know Arabic, yet I hold conversations with Muslims who can recite the entire Quran from memory, but have commented on my superior understanding. Should someone memorize the Quran before teaching? Absolutely. Is it required for understanding? I would say no although I know people who would disagree.

If religion teaches anything worthwhile it is that what believe to be real and visible is minute in comparison to all the wondrous and implausible things out there that are no visible to the naked eye. Of course to understand that you do not need a preacher or a rabbi. The native Americans knew it and probably the earlier cavemen also had some idea. Religions formulated this idea of what's beyond and made it organized, dogmatic and scary to some, but there are some religions less severe and more understanding. You take your pick.

If religion teaches anything worthwhile it is that what believe to be real and visible is minute in comparison to all the wondrous and implausible things out there that are no visible to the naked eye. Of course to understand that you do not need a preacher or a rabbi. The native Americans knew it and probably the earlier cavemen also had some idea. Religions formulated this idea of what's beyond and made it organized, dogmatic and scary to some, but there are some religions less severe and more understanding. You take your pick.
I would say that your examples point to the claim Islam makes that we are all born knowing God (Allah, YHWH, etc). And that we are taught away from that knowledge. It would be very difficult (and possibly dehumanizing a person) to test that theory, but I find the likeness of 90%+ of the worlds religions to be evidence of the fact.

Doesn't Islam proclaim we are all Muslims just waiting to know it? and that we were all Muslims prior and Islam always was, just G!d hadn't had Mohamed write it down yet?

Doesn't Islam proclaim we are all Muslims just waiting to know it? and that we were all Muslims prior and Islam always was, just G!d hadn't had Mohamed write it down yet?
I believe what you are saying is correct, in a way. Not all people are Muslims. The Quran even states that there are people of the book that are following a path that is different but will be rewarded. Muslim means those who submit to the will of God (Allah). I cannot say what he judges others on (criteria) but he will Judge me, and anyone else who has received the message on what is prescribed to me. Allah is gracious and merciful so to think that he would allow children to be pulled away from the right religion to another and never given the chance to succeed is horrible. And I could probably write an entire thesis on how the Quran prescribes followers of other faiths (even those who have heard of Islam and not accepted it) who truly follow their faith, will be as successful as Muslims who follow our faith.

yes, you can get a bit of my story in the Introductions section. and of course the Abrahamic Faiths.

thoughts?
Interestingly I havent heard this. One can obviously get the meaning of Quran form a translation, but not the complete flavor of it in any other language apart from Arabic. Quran is in the form of rhyming speech, so all of the poetic value gets destroyed in translation, which feels very flat and confusing. But still you will get the meaning. And memorization is never necessary for understanding.

Islam actually means submission (to God), it isnt Muhammad's religion. So whosoever was following their prophets in their time were following Islam. Anybody who still follows "original teachings" of their prophets are still following older version of Islam. Islam doesn't see itself as the religion after Muhammad, it sees itself as the only religion revealed by God to every people.

According to Quran, when spirits were created, they all accepted God as God. So humans are all Muslim in spirit. Lateron spirits come to born in different circumstances, and start believing differently.

Yes, we are grown into this world that is material and all too scientific, then we soon forget about the mysticism of the unknown and only realize what we have missed is right before death taps us on our left shoulder.
I would say that your examples point to the claim Islam makes that we are all born knowing God (Allah, YHWH, etc). And that we are taught away from that knowledge. It would be very difficult (and possibly dehumanizing a person) to test that theory, but I find the likeness of 90%+ of the worlds religions to be evidence of the fact.

Back