Religion and Medical Treatment:

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
As a Baha'i I have volunteered at my local hospital under the supervision of the Chaplain of the hospital and for about four years visited patients in the various wards.. One question that rises from time to time is how religion relates to medical care and what function can it serve...?

One of the functions is that religion can offer solidarity with the believer...When someone was ill and sought support I referred them to their church or temple depending.. with the patients permission I would contact their religious body and let them know.

Another aspect of religion is offering prayers of healing.. Most religions have such prayers and it is important that these are available to people...The family also asks for prayers.

In Baha'i Faith there is encouragement to follow medical advice and we are enjoined to seek it and follow what a physician recommends.

A friend interested in healing quoted the words of Bahá'u'lláh: "If one is sick, let him go to the greatest physician."

'Abdu'l-Bahá said: "There is but one power which heals -- that is God. The state or condition through which the healing takes place is the confidence of the heart. By some this state is reached through pills, powders, and physicians. By others through hygiene, fasting, and prayer. By others through direct perception."

~
Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 95

We Hindus are the same, although via ayurveda we try to be more preventative rather than reactive.

I think the comfort that religious folk have in their prayers or folks praying for them is incredibly valuable.... We could discuss all day whether it is real or placebo...when the fact remains...it doesn't matter...there is benefits.

Back