Baha'i views on possessing firearms..

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
Generally Baha'is advocate reducing firearms ... Some uses might be permitted but I believe there would be restrictions and controls greater than the present at least in the U.S.

Here are some citations...

"Gracious God! This people need no weapons of destruction, inasmuch as they have girded themselves to reconstruct the world. Their hosts are the hosts of goodly deeds, and their arms the arms of upright conduct…"

– Baha’u’llah and the New Era, p. 170.

"The Oppressed One is this day a prisoner; His allies are the hosts of good deeds and virtues; not ranks, and hosts, and guns, and cannons.*

Travelers Narrative

"We must exercise the functions of such a holy power in the path of love and not expend it upon the inventions of Krupp guns, Mauser rifles and Maxim's rapid-firing cannons. "

-Divine Philosophy

"We have, however, advised the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that under the present circumstances in that country it is preferable that Bahá’ís do not buy nor own arms for their protection or the protection of their families."

(Universal House of Justice, Messages from the Universal House of Justice: 1963-1986, p. 148)

I'm attaching a recent article by a Baha'i on some of the issues raised here:

http://bahaiteachings.org/right-to-...il&utm_term=0_22fe645b0d-fbbcda83a3-114009721

I just came across a good source for information on the Faith called "Bahai9.com" and thought I'd share a section of what it has on carrying a weapon..

"It hath been forbidden you to carry arms unless essential, and permitted you to attire yourselves in silk."

(Bahá'u'lláh, Kitáb-i-Aqdas, par. 159)

"Bahá'u'lláh confirms an injunction contained in the Bayán which makes it unlawful to carry arms, unless it is necessary to do so. With regard to circumstances under which the bearing of arms might be "essential" for an individual, 'Abdu'l-Bahá gives permission to a believer for self-protection in a dangerous environment. Shoghi Effendi in a letter written on his behalf has also indicated that, in an emergency, when there is no legal force at hand to appeal to, a Bahá'í is justified in defending his life.

(Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Note no. 173)

"Of course the above principles apply also in cases when a Bahá'í finds himself involved in situations of civil disorder. We have, however, advised the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that under the present circumstances in that country it is preferable that Bahá'ís do not buy nor own arms for their protection or the protection of their families."

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Canada, May 26, 1969: Messages from the Universal House of Justice, 1968-1973, p. 26, in Lights of Guidance, no. 399)

Additional material came be found at

http://bahai9.com/wiki/Carrying_weapons

Back