The Man Who Sued GOD!

S

Sacredstar

Did anyone see 'The Man Who Sued GOD?"

The Man Who Sued God (2003)

A theological romantic comedy drama with a courtroom showdown conclusion, The Man Who Sued God is a hard film to categorise. It's also a hard film not to like, since its so-absurd-it-could-be-true story about a man who decides to sue Him Upstairs for damages is nicely played by all concerned. Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, an ex-lawyer turned drop out loafer who bums around Australia on his fishing boat. After the boat's struck by a bolt of lightning and the insurance company reveals a tiny clause about 'Acts of God' hidden in the small print, Myers decides to take his case against the Lord all the way to court.

Either the Act of God clause is "some kind of giant all purpose lying mechanism" used by insurance agents to crush the little man, or it's what it says it is: an act for which God ought to be responsible. So, Myers decides to sue the Church, summoning representatives of every major faith. As the legal twists and turns kick in, the religious leaders will only be able to win the case if they can prove one thing: that God doesn't exist.

It may not sound like much but this sparky little comedy has a lot going for it, from Connolly's slapstick antics (trashing a Sushi restaurant while half cut) to the satirical comedy of the courtroom scenes where the church leaders prove to be just as devious as the insurance salesmen.

It's a story of the little man versus the system theme, I won't tell you the end result in case those that missed it get it on DVD. A great movie, movies give people ideas and I did wonder whether anyone will make this a reality in real life.

10/10

being love

Sacredstar

PS

It was bizarre that during the commercial break the terrible earthquake in Asia was announced. Another act of GOD as far as insurance companies are concerned. It was said that a million people have been affected by this earthquake and the resulting floods.

It just seems to me that the wake up calls are getting worse and worse.

Anything with Billy Connolly in it would be worth watching, imo. Unfortunately, he's not made much of a splash on the New World side of the pond--I'd not really be aware of his existence except for his appearances on the BBC America cable channel--that, and a thanks in Eric Idle's wonderful "post-modem" novel, The Road to Mars.

I'll be looking for that movie, though--thanks for the tip!

From the looks of it, you can take your pick--

I like turtles, myself--
turtle_.gif

Firstly, the film.
I think it is an entertaining and thought-provoking piece of work.
I do recommend people try to see it wherever it may be shown.
It is hard to discuss unless you happen to have seen it.
It seems to me that clauses in insurance policies re: acts of God (which incidentally seem to include riots and war!) are just 'get-outs' with no rational basis. If they want a get-out clause... at least the Companies could be more honest about it...ie without appealing to God, and putting the responsibility upon the God! ;)
--------------
Tsumanis and earthquakes, natural disasters, so far as we can see from objective evidence of geological plate investigations have nothing whatsoever to do with Divine intervention, which just seems to be an unnecessary affective accretion to the situations caused by natural disasters.
If they were an act of God, what kind of God is it that would kill over sixteen thousand people at a stroke, many of them children, and subject many hundreds of thousands to possible disease and starvation and economic deprivations afterwards?
To argue that is just not a question we can or should ask, of an all-powerful and omniscient God or ourselves, seems to me, in itself, not worth arguing. Especially when we all know that deep down we do not have any evidence in the material and objective domain... only our personal and affective responses/affirmations re: the God(s).;)

ahhh usa! that makes sense
UncleImperialist.jpg

Yup, that's me--guilty as charged--the Ugly American!

If they were an act of God, what kind of God is it that would kill over sixteen thousand people at a stroke, many of them children, and subject many hundreds of thousands to possible disease and starvation and economic deprivations afterwards?
To argue that is just not a question we can or should ask, of an all-powerful and omniscient God or ourselves, seems to me, in itself, not worth arguing.
I do agree that natural disasters are just that--natural disasters, results of natural forces, and are not expressions of evil. I believe that God does work in and through history, and the natural processes of the world that were set in motion by what can be termed the Creation. Miracles--events outside the natural processes of observable reality--are not important to my belief, even though I do accept (with little or no objective proof, but anecdotal evidence is emotionally satisfying) that miracles can and do occur--at least to our limited understanding.

The Higher Power stepping in to stop a natural process--what we would call a disaster, because it involves human beings--would, to me, be God interfering in his own Creation, negating His own laws of physics, geology, meteorolgy, whatever. People do suffer as a result of the natural order of the world.
I think religion and spirituality can help us over the suffering, to transcend the suffering, but belief will not end the events that cause us pain.

My belief gives me the tools to bear the pain and avoid the suffering. As I recently explained it to my daughter, I can drop a brick on my foot, and it's gonna hurt, badly. Now I have two choices: to sit on the ground, holding my broken foot and moaning about it all day, or get my butt up and hobble through the day, getting dne what I need to get done regardless.
The first response is suffering--the second is recognizing my pain and dealing with it.

I'm sure this is further irrationality on my part, but one thing I do agree with Paul on is that all things work together for Good. Is that a denial of objective evidence that evil exists? I'll be the first to tell you I'm still thinking this one through, but this is an interesting thread, and is giving me much food for thought--

Let me add, please, that I am horrified and saddened by the loss of life inflicted by the Indian Ocean earthquake. The tremendous pain and suffering of the victims and survivors makes a mockery of our arguments and pretty turns of phrase, and compells us to react simply with love, prayer and compassion for those harmed.

The immensity of that event weighs heavily on me today, and my heart goes out to those people, and to those who are left with the task of rescue, aid, and rebuilding--all strength to them.

Dear Bluejayway

I agree with you, but I feel most people are still in total shock of this disaster and are seeking to understand and or rationalise the reason why and find a meaning to it? To make sense of such an awful magnitude of pain, suffering and death.

So compassion for all, those involved directly in the disaster but also those that are witness to it, no matter how far away they are, while we review the past, the present and the future, and this powerful sign from mother earth.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

I feel most people are still in total shock of this disaster and are seeking to understand and or rationalise the reason why and find a meaning to it? To make sense of such an awful magnitude of pain, suffering and death.
Indeed, and thereby lies our greatest asset as a species--the ability, if not the necessity, to find order and meaning in the Multiverse. The answer that comforts me may well not comfort another, but we all need the comfort, don't we? Here's trusting that all find an answer with truth as it's basis.

Back