The Scandal of the Particular

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I came upon a phrase 'used in theology' (news to me) listening to an interview with Walter Brueggemann. What a staggering concept it evokes, as a way of looking at Christianity, and how so very, very true ... The Incarnation is a major stumbling block for many, especially in the modern era when we like to hold our exemplars anodyne, abstract ...

Christian revelation is always pointed, concrete, and specific. Our word for that is 'incarnational' or enfleshed. Walter Brueggemann calls it brilliantly 'the scandal of the particular.'

Christianity is not a Platonic world of ideas and theories about which you can be right or wrong, or observe from a distance. Incarnation is not something you measure or critique or analyze, but Someone you meet! This pattern reaches its fullness in the enfleshment of the Divine in one ordinary-looking man named Jesus.

We dare to believe that God materialised in human form, so we could fall in love with a real person, which is the only way we fall in love. It is almost impossible to give your life warmly for an idea, a force, an energy, or a concept.

We are programmed to give our lives away to other persons." (Richard Rohr, OFM)

Reading about incarnational missionary service.... Focusing on blending in, being a member of the community, living the life of Jesus ... Vs focusing on preaching the gospel... Two differing methods of missionary service...

"We are to give our lives to a person"

This is Theism. The gigantic universe is an expression of the "Supreme Person".

So being away from the Supreme Person, and finding the way back to the Supreme Person is the mystery of our short life span(s).

Reading about incarnational missionary service...
I don't see much debate 'raging'?

I'm more inclined to focus on the term and then discuss the nature of ministry, rather than look at disputes.

Focusing on blending in, being a member of the community...
When was mission not that?

... living the life of Jesus ...
What life is that?

It seems to me that mission is love, 'love one another as I have loved you' (John 13:34). The Johannine letters speak of love as the core of the Christian life. So does St Paul.

Vs focusing on preaching the gospel... Two differing methods of missionary service...
Is it? Where is anyone claiming that?

And why?

The gospel, the 'good news' is about Christ. If you're not going to preach the gospel, what are you going to preach? If you're not guided by the gospel, what are you guided by? Who's mission are you on, exactly?

This seems to miss the point of 'the scandal of the particular' completely, the particular in question being Christ and our meeting with Him?

So focus in the term... I had not heard of it before...so I googled to find out what you were speaking of....don't ask me what missionaries should or shouldn't do in foreign lands....lol I ain't one...

You just used language I had not heard of an made me go into dictionaries and google searches to attempt to understand...

So I googled to find out what you were speaking of...
So did I — No mission debate raging as far as I can see? (I just googled the phrase 'scandal of the particular'.)

don't ask me what missionaries should or shouldn't do in foreign lands....lol I ain't one...
LOL, you followed the links! I think maybe you got distracted ...

You just used language I had not heard of an made me go into dictionaries and google searches to attempt to understand...
The first page of links offers a couple of useful commentaries: Here, and here for a view with regard to contemporary culture. Here on friendship, here for another theological musing. This one's for you ;) ...

Good stuff Thomas....but I had looked up incarnational, and anodyne...

Followed your links and enjoyed them, thanx. Including the skeptic one....he hit on a topic that I have yet to be satisfied on.

... Focusing on blending in, being a member of the community, living the life of Jesus ... Vs focusing on preaching the gospel... Two differing methods of missionary service...
The former seems very suspicious to me. If you're not spreading the gospel, what is your mission? Are you not talking about Christ, because you want people to admire you?

... he hit on a topic that I have yet to be satisfied on.
I reread his post, which ends with:
Each Christian, even human, should choose the path Peter chose in Luke 24. Instead of disbelief, run after the empty tomb as fast as you can and see if you too can find the living Jesus. Peter did this. And it changed his life. I’ve done this. And it changed mine too.
But the disciples didn't find Jesus? Peter was first through the door, the tomb was empty. John followed, and only reasoned then began to grasp the significance of what Jesus had been saying.

The disciples were told to stay in Jerusalem, but Peter goes home, and takes up his old life, fishing ...

The challenge is at the very heart of Christianity, as it is indeed in any religion — a challenge that becomes ignored, btw, once cultures reach their comfortably middle ground — the faithful get criticised when they flock to the churches in times of distress, and the critique is valid in some respects, but then equally deserving of criticism is the complacency of the materially comfortable.

Maybe it's that that appeals to my Gaelic sensibilities. It's that challenge that won C.S. Lewis in the end, when arguing with his friends that Christianity was a collection of myths. The question stopped him: What if it's not?

That's why there will never be a definitive proof of God. They day there is, humanity has lost its ontological freedom. The joy of knowing would quickly sour ...

The former seems very suspicious to me. If you're not spreading the gospel, what is your mission? Are you not talking about Christ, because you want people to admire you?
Tis the issue I alluded to when you slammed me earlier.... http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/july-august/the-problem-with-incarnational-ministry.html

And this is the issue that we've discussed before (and I've yet to grock)
And the truth is, there is controversy in the text. Not one person actually sees the resurrection moment. Not one gospel actually has an eyewitness to see the stone roll away. Not one gospel even tells the story the samehow do we know which details are right?

And this one makes me chuckle every time...
The question stopped him: What if it's not
As it can and is a last ditch effort by anyone trying to convince, convert, or otherwise coerce anyone into believing in any religion, cult, insurance program or stock purchase...

Tis the issue I alluded to when you slammed me earlier...
Slammed? Sorry if you read it like that, wasn't intended. I was simply saying I hadn't come across any dispute.

As it can and is a last ditch effort ...
That's a bit of an assumption, I think. It's one of a number of possible arguments, not necessarily the last ditch. And in the case of Lewis, I doubt it was.

Bultmann employed the reverse argument (as have you), that Christianity is a myth, because it reads like other myths. For a while it was thought the logic held up, but then was found wanting. I could call that your 'last ditch' defence of a lost position, but the language all sees a bit confrontational to me.

by anyone trying to convince, convert, or otherwise coerce ...
You see? 'always with the negative waves, Moriarty' (to quote Kelly's Heroes)

Who's trying to 'coerce' here? No-one.

To 'convince' someone by reasonable, rational, logical argument is one thing. To 'convert' flows, I would hope, from the above.
But neither are, inherently, nor even necessarily, 'coercive', as that requires the deployment of force and/or threat.

The question might make you chuckle, but I suggest only because you've pre-disposed yourself towards it.

The question was, and remains, utterly viable. It's a reasonable, rational and logical dismissal of a rejection of faith on the grounds that it's just too fantastic to believe, which rests in the end on the assumption that one's own credibility is the benchmark of truth.

I say last ditch effort, convert, coerce, (threatening with hell) convince.... Because that is what it has been by well over a dozen times in my life....the missionary door knockers, JWs, Baptists, Mormons, the stand in the corner preachers, the abortion clinic protesters.... I've heard it many times in my life... Last line in frustration..."but what if it is true? Are you willing to take that risk? "

(Like I said, insurance brokers and stock salesman too)
It's that challenge that won C.S. Lewis in the end, when arguing with his friends that Christianity was a collection of myths. The question stopped him: What if it's not?

Bultmann employed the reverse argument (as have you), that Christianity is a myth, because it reads like other myths.
I don't believe I have.... If I have it was not intended..

I believe the BIBLE to be a collection of stories...some factual, some containing facts, some containing parables, metaphor, hyperbole, metaphysics, mythology, poetry, songs, allegory, moral principles.... Some find 1 commandment, 2, 10 or over 600 of them, we find a collection of laws, rules and edicts for a couple thousand years ago...some of which are archaic, outdated.

But the entire thing a myth? Not even, this still my number one spiritual contemplation resource...

I see the Bible in much the same light.

It seems its the 'scandal of the particular' Jesus Christ that positions us so far apart :D

Back