Monotheistic?

Aetius

Christian
Reaction score
When I read some of the writings of Baha'u'llah I was left with the impression that only the monotheistic religions were considered to be of one stream culminating in the revelations given to Baha'u'llah.

Is the Baha'i faith monotheistic? If so, how can it accept other faiths if they are not?

- Aetius

Thanks for posting on the Baha'i forum Aetius! and welcome to the Interfaith Forums!!!

In answer to your question... Yes, the Baha'i Faith is monotheistic. To quote:

"Bahá'u'lláh, Founder of the Bahá’í Faith, teaches that there is one God whose existence is beyond our understanding. He is the Creator of everything, and although we may call Him by different names – God or Yahweh, Allah, Brahma, or the Great Spirit – we are speaking about the same loving Presence that has supported and guided humanity throughout history."

https://www.bahai.us/beliefs/

We also believe that the major religions have a common Divine origin. Over time and considering cultural influences there may have been many influences that can account for varying views of Divinity we nonetheless believe there was a common Divine origin. Baha'is don't attack other religions that may have varying views on the issue.

From the same article quoted above:

"The fundamental principle enunciated by Bahá’u’lláh, the followers of His Faith firmly believe, is that Religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is a continuous and progressive process, that all the great religions of the world are divine in origin, that their basic principles are in complete harmony, that their aims and purposes are one and the same, that their teachings are but facets of one truth, that their functions are complementary, that they differ only in the non-essential aspects of their doctrines and that their missions represent successive stages in the spiritual evolution of human society.”

From the Bahá’í Writings and
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/PDC/pdc-1.html

Back