What world Scriptures include recipes?

Bhaktajan II

Hare Krishna Yogi
Reaction score
What world Scriptures include recipes?

I only know of recipes as commonplace in the Vedic scriptures of India [which btw includes many other misc formulas and invocations also].

I found this online :
http://cookingwiththebible.com/meals.aspx#GR3410-2139

But this is not recipes ---its recipes named after the Bible’s mentioning of food eaten by different folks in the New & Old Testiment. At best these are menu suggestions.

I mean a real old-fashion recipe.

The Hindu use of food in Temple operations is central to Hinduism so I know the value of this topic.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
So I looked this up:
Saying Grace ---what is it’s origin?

A grace is a short prayer or thankful phrase said before or after eating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_(prayer)

I found this comment online:

Grace before meals is a Jewish tradition that was in some respects followed by Jesus and also Paul, but is not technically 'commanded' in a legal sense from scripture.

As far as the overall origin of 'grace before meals' I would say it was established in all the ancient sacrifices which included eating portions of the sacrifice. Very early under the Levitical ceremonies food was associated with religious significance. It is no wonder then that a tradition around food has always accompanied various forms of Judaism and Christianity.

https://christianity.stackexchange....-precedent-or-command-regarding-praying-befor

Biblically speaking, no recipes per se that I am aware of, but Leviticus 11 does spell out pretty well what is and is not clean to eat.

As for Biblical passages regarding cures and healing; these abound. Here's but a few:

James 5:15-16
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Deuteronomy 7:15
And the Lord will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee.

Matthew 8:8
.... Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.

Exodus 23:25
And ye shall serve the Lord your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.

and my personal favorite -

Isaiah 53:5
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Last edited:
What world Scriptures include cures?

"And your Lord inspired the Bee saying; 'Make hives among the mountains, and in the trees and [in] that which they [people] build.

Then eat from all the fruits and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]'. There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which is a Shifaa (Healing, Cure, Remedy) for people. Indeed in this is an Ayaah (Sign) for those who reflect/ponder."

(Quran 16:68-69)

But this is not recipes ---its recipes named after the Bible’s mentioning of food eaten by different folks in the New & Old Testiment. At best these are menu suggestions.
I recalled some live/raw food books that were claimed to be based on diet for Daniel...did not find them.

There is an ancient Sumerian prayer preserved in cuneiform writing, which is both a hymn to a goddess and a memory device for remembering the recipe for brewing beer: the "Hymn to Ninkasi"

Something that sounds like a recipe for black pudding or a similar sausage-like food is mentioned in the Odyssey.

The biblical book of Ruth has a short description of something like a bread salad: Bread, dipped in vinegar, and roasted grains (Ruth 2:14).

Abraham made pita bread and veal roast for his visitors (Gen 18:6-8)

The Buddhist Pali Canon mentions the milk rice eaten by the Buddha just prior to his enlightenment, and the sweet dish made from roasted barley and honey or sugar syrup, just after his enlightenment.

Bab’s Recipe for White Tea

"As for your drink, focus your vision and at the beginning of each day take in your hands, by the might of God and His power, a portion of kundur (frankincense) and qarnaful (cloves) with an equal amount of pure sugar. Drink a cup of water in which the white leaf from China has been boiled, for drinking it refines the (human) constitution, draws out moisture, and closes the paths of allusions. The one who drinks it is revivified by meeting the people of reality and in it are benefits that cannot be recounted for those who openly bear witness to the path of the bayān. If you want more than one cup, then drink another, for verily God loves singularity under all conditions. If you like, drink it with milk if you are not cold. That is God’s ruling regarding what you should drink an hour after the rising of the sun. Do not drink more than what I have commanded you (to drink) or anything after it except delectable sweets, for they are permitted for you under all conditions. Busy yourself as God has ordained."

Back