Past life Regression

S

sahananag

Did you ever experience the impact of Past Life Regression in your life?

Impact? No.

But I remember a weird reverie I got into once, which I thought for a long time to have been a past life memory. Nowadays I don't understand it in such terms any more.

How about you? What makes you ask?

I once was in Nebraska, stopping for gas in a small town. No idea why I stopped there, but afterward, I drove to the downtown strip of mostly abandoned shops. As I was walking back to the car, almost at the same time from opposite directions, two people came running up to me. They both gaped at me before saying I looked just like the old, dead city councilor who had failed to save the businesses in the area. Without thinking about it, I assured them I wasn't Melvin Capers, or his ghost. No idea where that name came from in my head, but that was the name of the city councilor.

Nice story Mel... I, I mean Steve.

I've mentioned here a time or two about a recurring dream I use to have since my teens about being blown up in a trench during WWI. A bottle grenade would land beside me, BOOM and I'd wake up. Much later in life, while heading to the US Embassy in Fiji with my future wife, inexplicably I knew every street in the capitol city and exactly where the US Embassy was, even though I'd never been anywhere near Fiji before. I had always thought the two things were completely unrelated, until one day I found out that the site of the US Embassy was once a training camp for a small brigade of New Zealand, Fijian and Indo-Fijian troops destined for Belgium during the early stages of WWI and how most were killed in a trench battle there.

The dreams I'd had almost nightly prior, abruptly stopped thereafter.

Last edited:
Well obviously being a skeptical Catholic (such a thing is possible) I look somewhat askance at this kind of thing, but ...

When I was a kid, we were holidaying in Dorset and stopped for a picnic close by Maiden Castle. This is an iron-age hill fort (c.1500BC), although all you can see now is softened outline of ramparts and ditches. Apparently, I just lit up and, in the end, had to be dragged off the place. My parents spoke about it years later. Maiden Castle has inspired many, including authors Thomas Hardy and John Cowper Powys. Is there something there, or does it call to something within, or both?

When I was in my Hermetic days, I used to lecture regularly on the subject. On one occasion I'd done an impromptu talk to a small group, and by the end you get a sense of your audience (he's OK, she's not, he's got a hot-spot, etc.) I spoke to one woman who I would have said was happy to watch but didn't get a word of what I was saying. I was right. 'One question, though,' she said. 'Why does your face change? There were times you looked like a little boy, then you looked like a really old man. What's all that about?' — my only conclusion is what you're processing at the time.

Lastly, martial arts. I am by no means an expert, fairly middle of the road. But someone once said, "At times you even look Japanese. Weird."

How do I explain such things? I'm not a fan of reincarnation/metempsychosis, I think it sets up too many logistical problems. But not to go overboard, I think there's something in 'channelling'. I was quite a fan of Rupert Sheldrake's 'morphic resonance' theories, and this, for me, ties up reincarnation, metempsychosis, past life experiences, ghosts, etc., etc.

I knew a couple of people who went through rebirthing when it was all the rage (70s-80s). One person noted there was that 'hospital smell' — I'm quite ready to believe the body generates the smell, or 'releases' the smell locked into the trauma experience.

Up the road from us is a closed asylum. Not quite Arkham, but it had its moments (or its inmates). We campaigned for it to remain as safe housing for those with metal health issues (a lovely place, set in parkland, an ideal closed community). We lost, and it's now an über-expensive housing development. We trespassed a few times in protest during its demolition, and took the opportunity to explore parts of the structure.

Standing there, in the open air, looking at what was a half-demolished building — no roof, outer wall down, floors tilting down, signs visible on corridor walls and on the doors — it was, even in the mid-morning, a spooky moment ... we could all smell that ether smell.

On a holiday with friends, we visited the ruins of an English castle. It was besieged during the English Civil War. I found Mack looking all profound. "What?" I asked. "The walls do nothing for me," he said. "But look at this hedge." A hawthorn, growing along a field below the castle. "They would have slept under this hedge." Most probably. But I got it. The hedge was alive then, and it's alive now. If that hedge could talk ...

The more you look into it, the stranger life is.

I think usually it is probably the memory of an earthbound spirit that one attracts to oneself. There are spirits that after death are unwilling to leave the earth-surround and go on. For whatever reason, they stay around?

I think usually it is probably the memory of an earthbound spirit that one attracts to oneself.
I'm not sure whether I view it as 'an earthbound spirit' or a 'record' or 'impression' of psychic activity that remains.

There are spirits that after death are unwilling to leave the earth-surround and go on.
I have no experience nor data to affirm or deny. I try and keep an open mind.

For whatever reason, they stay around?
We had New Age friends who came to visit when we first moved into our house. The house had been occupied by the same family for about 25 years, and our friends later told us they doubted we would be able to 'clean' the place of the memory of its previous occupants. They came to visit again, a while later, and told us their doubts, because their impression was now that we had made the house our own.

Is it possible for human activity to kind of embed itself in organic or even inorganic material? Theoretically, yes. So a ghost could be a kind of recording left in the wake of ... Then you have the theory of tuning forks ('ring' one fork and another, tuned the same, will join in if close enough), Law of Correspondence (basis of magic), etc.

I really don't know, or rather, I've no way of testing.

Reactions: RJM
I'm not sure whether I view it as 'an earthbound spirit' or a 'record' or 'impression' of psychic activity that remains.

I have no experience nor data to affirm or deny. I try and keep an open mind.

We had New Age friends who came to visit when we first moved into our house. The house had been occupied by the same family for about 25 years, and our friends later told us they doubted we would be able to 'clean' the place of the memory of its previous occupants. They came to visit again, a while later, and told us their doubts, because their impression was now that we had made the house our own.

Is it possible for human activity to kind of embed itself in organic or even inorganic material? Theoretically, yes. So a ghost could be a kind of recording left in the wake of ... Then you have the theory of tuning forks ('ring' one fork and another, tuned the same, will join in if close enough), Law of Correspondence (basis of magic), etc.

I really don't know, or rather, I've no way of testing.
Thanks you. Of course: who really knows. But there are other possible explanations for these definite 'memories' than re--incarnation?

My understanding: Stochastics is very counter-intuitive to us. We tend to over-emphasize those coincidences we find meaningful, and disregard the others.

That said, I enjoy a good meaningful synchronicity as much as the next person.

I wish my experience which I alluded to was as interesting as Namaste Jesus'. Mine was merely this eerily realistic sense of being a really old man, hard to convey. I was around 10 or 11 at the time.

God's voice is clear and simple, imo. It's immediately recognised and undetstood. There's immensity of confusion ...

I wish my experience which I alluded to was as interesting as Namaste Jesus'. Mine was merely this eerily realistic sense of being a really old man, hard to convey. I was around 10 or 11 at the time.
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone referred to me as an old soul when I was a kid. The first time was an old lady who lived a few doors down from us when I was 7 or 8. Oddly enough, her only son died in WWI.

Reactions: RJM
Back