If You Ever....

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Not so much a discussion topic I guess, more a general statement. Just got off a very long Skype call and all I can say is, if you ever have the opportunity of discussing things spiritual or anything else for that matter with a native Australian Aboriginal, do not pass it up!

When I was down under a few years ago...I did encounter some interesting and some not so interesting ones...some of the citified have traded alcohol for traditional knowledge.

Not so much a discussion topic I guess, more a general statement. Just got off a very long Skype call and all I can say is, if you ever have the opportunity of discussing things spiritual or anything else for that matter with a native Australian Aboriginal, do not pass it up!
I think the feeling's mutual mate. Don't know what you guys talked about, but she's been beaming ever since. Funny where life takes us sometimes, those we encounter along the way and the impact they have on our lives. -:)

When I was down under a few years ago...I did encounter some interesting and some not so interesting ones...some of the citified have traded alcohol for traditional knowledge.
I spent three years in Oz long ago. At that time the Aboriginal's had had their first native Australian elected to Parliament, carrying their hopes for change; yet felt let down by him. He had "sold out". He faced his acusers. Still vivid in my memory is one aboriginal guy seeking to give vent to his sense of anger and disappointment. His voice stuttered, his words were inarticulate, muddled even. Finally he just gave up and walked out. I have never heard a greater cry for justice. The memory stays with me and I think has been one for good in my life. The "cry" of those without a voice.

The plight and history of our native Americans and the aboriginals have many similarities. Both fighting the all knowing arrogance and bullying of the white man while trying to retain their culture and spirituality.

I spent three years in Oz long ago. At that time the Aboriginal's had had their first native Australian elected to Parliament, carrying their hopes for change; yet felt let down by him. He had "sold out". He faced his acusers. Still vivid in my memory is one aboriginal guy seeking to give vent to his sense of anger and disappointment. His voice stuttered, his words were inarticulate, muddled even. Finally he just gave up and walked out. I have never heard a greater cry for justice. The memory stays with me and I think has been one for good in my life. The "cry" of those without a voice.
Down here, Aboriginal lifestyles and circumstances vary greatly one territory to the next. The ones having modern society abruptly thrust upon them tend to fare the worst. Fairly peaceful coexistence where I am though.

The young lady NJ's referring to in the OP is actually my daughter-in-law. Remarkable young lady indeed. Somewhat rare for the Aboriginal community, she's completed her education as have both her parents, who also own their own business. Just as rare among Aboriginals, she's an only child.

She and NJ, met a couple years back when we took her along on holiday to the states and Fiji. That's an interesting story in and of itself. Comedy of errors really. Wrote about it here: https://www.interfaith.org/community/threads/18177/

...but I digress. Anyway, the moment those two met, there was an instant bond. Damnedest thing you ever seen. Next thing you know he's teaching her guitar, even giving lessons over Skype when we got back. So of course she insists her and my son's wedding take place at the Hindu Temple NJ built on his property. A pain logistically speaking, but it was well worth it.

Aboriginal people tend not to explain themselves very well and are often misunderstood for that reason, but over the many years that my family and I have worked side by side with them on our farm, we've come to trust their judgment implicitly.

I think the feeling's mutual mate. Don't know what you guys talked about, but she's been beaming ever since. Funny where life takes us sometimes, those we encounter along the way and the impact they have on our lives. -:)
Never in my wildest dreams could I ever have imagined....

Back