Are Muslims allowed to?

dani13

Reaction score
I was just wondering If in the Islamic faith, Muslims are allowed to Read from the Torah (studies by the Jewish people), Wear a talit or a kippah?
If a Muslim man undertook these Jeiwish customs would he be committing a sin?

Thanx Dani

dani13 said:
I was just wondering If in the Islamic faith, Muslims are allowed to Read from the Torah (studies by the Jewish people), Wear a talit or a kippah?

Thanx Dani
Al Salaamu Alyckum

Islam allowed Muslims people to study any thing for knowledge and educated and encourage them to search for information and knowledge and truth , and Muslims must believe in the original holy books like gospel of Jesus (PUH) and Turah of Mosa (PUH).by studding them we search where they are meet? and what is common between them?
But for worship purposes we must read only Al Quraan .

Thanks to you

dani13 said:

Thanx Dani
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
To my understanding [cud be wrong], Muslims are not allowed to wear any attire that identifies with another religion.Wearing a talit or a kippah comes within that, so they are not allowed and thus, if nothing it is definitely undesirable. Cant be 100% sure about it being a sin. Even wearing crosses etc. comes within that perview. But there is another thing that has to be considered here. Since it identifies specifically with another religion, it would give the wrong idea to the onlooker and a muslim wud be considered as a jew because of what he wud be wearing and that is equivalent to lying as the person isnt a jew. Lying is definitely a sin and thus, again because of this as well it is not allowed. So, my understanding tells me that it is probably a sin.
Im a bit confused about your question regarding reading from the Torah.
If you are asking about taking guidance from the Torah, then its definitely not allowed because the muslims believe that, with the revelation of the Quran, all previous revelations have been superseded. This revelation is not specifically for the Jews or the arabs, it is for all humankind until Judgement Day.
Now, If you are simply talking about reading the Torah to gain knowledge and understanding about Judaism, then i dont see any problem with that.
Hope that answers your question.

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
I checked with a scholar[Shiekh Munajjid], this is what he said:

It is haraam[forbidden] to imitate the mushrikeen [polytheists] and kuffaar [non-muslims] in their manner of dress, so it is not permissible to wear clothing that is unique to the kuffaar.
He used the word forbidden not undesirable, so that means one simply cant. Not allowed. Its a sin.end of story.
Hope that answers your question.

What about uniforms, such as school uniforms or military uniforms? Such clothing doesn't have any religious undertones, and in most cases are required for everyone who is a member of a particular group or an occupation.

mirrorinthefog said:
What about uniforms, such as school uniforms or military uniforms? Such clothing doesn't have any religious undertones, and in most cases are required for everyone who is a member of a particular group or an occupation.
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
the answer to your question is in what was said before. the last bit said, 'it is not permissible to wear clothing that is unique to the kuffaar.'
For example, school uniform, as u rightly said, has no religious undertones and is not something that is unique to only non-muslims. I didnt consult a scholar on your particular question as i have taken support for what i have said from what was stated before by the scholar.
Hope this answers your question.

Back