WHY I BELIEVE IN CHRIST

mmarco

Reaction score
WHY I BELIEVE IN CHRIST

The fundamental reason why I believe in Jesus Christ, is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God. This concept is fully convincing for me, it proves itself by itself and makes superfluous any other arguments . I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and mercifull and that God is near to us so that we may totally trust Him and open our heart to Him, be in communion with Him and be saved.

Many religions teach that God is love, but the problem is to define what the word “love” means, because by itself it could be only a vague and generic concept.
The christian faith is unique because it gives a very concrete and unique meaning to the concept of divine love: in fact God’s love actualizes in the acceptance of a terrible physical suffering; the God of the christian faith loves us so much that He is willing to suffer a painful death in order to save us. In the christian faith, love is not only a theoretical and vague concept; Christ’s Passion is a clear and concrete realization of the concept of divine love which teaches us what is the true meaning of love. I think that this christian idea of divine love is the highest possible concept of divine love and it is the fundamental reason why I believe that Christ is God.

Reactions: RJM
I figured it was only a matter of time before you posted this thread here. How many forums have you already posted this on?
How many more to come? And why?

I figured it was only a matter of time before you posted this thread here. How many forums have you already posted this on?
How many more to come? And why?
But is there harm done?

But is there harm done?
I did not infer that there is harm done nor that there is anything intrinsically wrong in the practice. However, it has been my experience that in many, not all, cases the multiple posting of identical threads on multiple forums is done in the service of an undeclared agenda.

I’m simply trying to determine the poster’s purpose.

This person has just posted two paragraphs outlining his own personal beliefs. Is anyone going to respond to the content?

Welcome to the forums, @mmarco. Thanks for your intro post giving some background on your religious outlook. I'm looking forward to may interesting discussions!

Many religions teach that God is love, but the problem is to define what the word “love” means, because by itself it could be only a vague and generic concept.

the God of the christian faith loves us so much that He is willing to suffer a painful death in order to save us.

Interesting. So, to you, does this willingness to suffer boil down to selfless love? Or to caring love? Or even to accepting love, one which does not reject anything, not even terrible suffering?

Also, in the spirit of interfaith discussion upon which this forum is founded: Which other religions did you explore which teach that God is love?

This person has just posted two paragraphs outlining his own personal beliefs. Is anyone going to respond to the content?
Indeed. For what it's worth, here's my take.

Yes, Christ checks all the boxes for me as well, but that's only because I tend to approach God from an Abrahamic perspective.

Whereas to someone approaching God from an entirely different paradigm, the Christian concept of divine love may seem just as vague and generic.

Once you dig deeper however and put your own paradigm aside, you start to notice parallels one religion to another. It's then you come to the realization there is but one God. Just that, though everyone is looking at the same thing, not everyone is looking out of the same window.

I think it was Aussie once said something along the lines of, from your house passing cars are a blur, but to the people in those cars, your house is a blur and so it goes with differing religious perspectives.

To expand on Aussie's analogy, I.O. is not a place to convert others to your way of thinking, but rather a place where you get to stop and have a good look at your neighbor's house and he gets to see the kind of car you drive close up. ;)

The mystery of Christ

1) Christians are very big on conversions!
2) Do they usually reply to posts on those threads?

1) I understand that, however, if that is the poster's purpose I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that proselytizing is a forum no-no.
2) Yes, the poster does respond.

Interesting. So, to you, does this willingness to suffer boil down to selfless love? Or to caring love? Or even to accepting love, one which does not reject anything, not even terrible suffering?

Hello Cino,

I think that true love is always selfless, and certainly Christ's love is selfless. I am not sure about what you mean with "accepting love"

Also, in the spirit of interfaith discussion upon which this forum is founded: Which other religions did you explore which teach that God is love?

Both Judaism and Islamism teach that God is love.

Hello Cino,

I think that true love is always selfless, and certainly Christ's love is selfless. I am not sure about what you mean with "accepting love"

Both Judaism and Islamism teach that God is love.

Accepting love: Maybe "unconditional" would have been more recognizable. I meant the concept of love which does not reject, neither the social outcastes, nor the stone which the builders rejected etc, and in particular does not reject suffering and death (on the cross for example).

Where the concept of selfless love is admirable for not putting self above others, unconditional love is admirable for not putting anything above others. The concept of selfless love is configured around the self, whereas the concept of unconditional love is not centered on anything.

While both Judaism and islam may have teachings saying that God is love, I would have thought that other concepts like uniqueness and oneness are more prominent, and that the emphasis on love, is a Christian thing.

Edited to add: Some Krishna devotees I've met would definitely fit into your list of those who teach that God is love.

Last edited:
Although Christian, I would defend the Buddhist concept of 'compassion' something akin to the Christian theological concept of agape — a selfless and dispassionate love — quite distinct from eros.

I agree with your definition of unconditional love as referred to Christ's love.
I think that love (agape) may be probably a key concept in some other eastern religions/philosophies, but my point is that the idea that God himself loves us to the point to suffer personally for us entered history through the christian faith and is what distinguishes the most christianity from other religions.
I think also that some other religions may have been influenced by christianity, even if not from the theologial aspects, but as far as the concept of love is concerned.
For example, Ghandi, even if he was not a christian, was certainly much influenced by some of Jesus' speeches.This may be true also for many believers of other religions who tent today to give more relevance to the concept of love.

Last edited:
the idea that God himself loves us to the point to suffer personally for us
You mentioned this in your previous post.

Since you shared this in a very personal way, I hope it is not inappropriate of me to ask you why you emphasize this teaching in particular? I do not ask disrespectfully, it obviously is very important to you, so only share what you feel comfortable with.

(I'm asking because Christianity has many other unique teachings that distinguish it from other faiths, like the Trinity or the details of its eschatology)

You mentioned this in your previous post.

Since you shared this in a very personal way, I hope it is not inappropriate of me to ask you why you emphasize this teaching in particular? I do not ask disrespectfully, it obviously is very important to you, so only share what you feel comfortable with.

(I'm asking because Christianity has many other unique teachings that distinguish it from other faiths, like the Trinity or the details of its eschatology)

By no means what you are asking is inappropriate; the reason why this teaching is so important is that having faith means trusting the Lord and committing oneself entirely to Him, and we can do this only if we feel loved by Him. If we feel loved by the Lord and we understand that He is near to us, we can have a personal relationship with Him and feel His loving presence. Personally, I do not find any help in this respect from other theological teachings; this does not mean that theology is not important, but I do not think that it is necessary for a believer to study all the aspects of theology for having faith in Christ.

Back