Mecca

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
I have a question about something I read recently. Is it true that every Muslim has to take a pilgrimage to Mecca once in their life? Is this an Islamic Law? Who commands it if it is? What if you never make it there?

I read something and I dont know if its based on fact or not, I dont believe everything I read... Bush may have said that he would bomb Mecca if Bin Laden attacked the US again and thats why there hasnt been any more direct attacks in the US since 9/11.

What if it was bombed? What would happen if Muslims couldnt take their pilgrimage?

Yes " Hajj " or prilgrimage is the Fifth Pilar of Islam.....

But only for those who can afford it.....and have the means and ability to Go there...
and perform Hajj.....

Faithfulservant said:
I have a question about something I read recently. Is it true that every Muslim has to take a pilgrimage to Mecca once in their life? Is this an Islamic Law? Who commands it if it is? What if you never make it there?
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
There are some details regarding the Hajj in one of 'Friend's posts at:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1921
Just to answer your questions quickly, the pilgrimage to Makkah is required to be done by every Muslim only once in a life time IF they have the physical and monetary capacity. This is the 5th pillar of Islam. And God has commanded this to be done. There are some Quranic verses mentioned in the above post but i didnt see one that directly stated the Hajj to be done in that post, so ill past some here.
3:97. In it are Signs Manifest; (for example), the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security; Pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah,- those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith, Allah stands not in need of any of His creatures.
Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation
See also (22:27-29,2:196-197)
so, otherwise, there no problem. Nothing to worry about. By the way, you can do the Hajj more than once if you like. That is optional. I know people who have done it 11 times.
I read something and I dont know if its based on fact or not, I dont believe everything I read... Bush may have said that he would bomb Mecca if Bin Laden attacked the US again and thats why there hasnt been any more direct attacks in the US since 9/11.
I would really like to see the source of this information. I dont think Bush, the cowboy i see him to be, would be so foolish as to issue such a statement. I assume you saw the new pictures of abuse Abu Guraib style done by the British soldiers. Im sure you can switch the british with the iraqi and understand the outrage that is being felt. Similarly, you can think of a situation where the most sacred place for christians is bombed and destroyed... what the reaction will be. Or think that Saddam Hussain said that he would bomb the most sacred christian sites. Just think in that sense.
What if it was bombed? What would happen if Muslims couldnt take their pilgrimage?
This is bit of a hypothetical question and you havent really explained the situation clearly enough. In your situation, is Makkah occupied by non-muslim forces? Are they being allowed to come to Makkah? How much is the destruction i.e. is it just the Ka'bah or the complete city itself?
What would happen, in general, if the US was foolish enough to do that?Personally, i think, you would undoubtedly have a world war at your hands. Makkah is in our hearts. I have performed the pilgrimage, alhamdulillah, but i didnt want to leave the city, i yearn to go back to it. it is in my heart, will remain so until i die. Why you may ask? If you read the autobiography of Malcolm X, you will know why [if you cant find it, ill paste some relevant material].
Hope that answers your question.

This was posted on another forum. It was based on someone elses article but when I tried to see the original article I had to agree to pay 8.98 a month. Like I said I dont believe everything I read. It wasnt a statement that Bush said to the best of my knowledge.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42272

It DID cause me to remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. We bombed two places in order to stop the attacks of Japan on our country. I have a Japanese-American friend who's father was a child in Nagasaki. His father watched HIS fathers face melt off. My friends father was on a tricycle and lived through it and has to get tested every few years for the effect of radiation. My point is that you cant deny the possibility of it. If we are threatened with nuclear weapons couldnt it be possible that the response to that threat would be one of our own? What would be the sure fire way to stop Bin Laden and make him think before acting in such a manner? Threaten the one thing that he holds more dear than his jihad. This is just for discussions sake and Im not condoning any possibility of such an action just as I dont condone any actions Bin Laden has made against my country.

As far as sacred Christian sites... We dont have the same regards to them as you do. Of course people travel to see where Jesus once walked.. or where he was born or where he was buried. Its not the same though. I dont think it would hold the same degree of threat for us as it does for Muslims. Its a wonderful blessing to be able to see these places but we dont hold them as sacred to our faith or our religious practice.

Thank you for your reply

Faithfulservant said:

A pilgrimage for hajj is commanded to every muslim who can afford it and is physically able to go.

I don not believe any threat against Mecca would deter any muslim fromanything. Muslims believe that the Kaaba is the house of God and he will protect it. But even if the Kaaba was destroyed it would be rebuilt. While the Kaaba was under reconstruction in the past the Hajj did not stop.

Faithfulservant said:
Faithfulservant said:
I read something and I don’t know if its based on fact or not, I don’t believe everything I read... Bush may have said that he would bomb Mecca if Bin Laden attacked the US again and that’s why there haven’t been any more direct attacks in the US since 9/11.

What if it was bombed? What would happen if Muslims couldn’t take their pilgrimage?

Salaamu Alyckum all

After some search I found that Macca and Hajj was described in Christian holy book "Gospel" : Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up their voice, the villages that Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains."

From mount Arafat near Mecca the Pilgrims chant every year the following: "Here I come [for your service] O, Allah. Here I come. Here I come. There is no partner with you. Here I come. Verily Yours is the praise, the blessings and sovereignty. There is no partner besides You." Isaiah 42 can never be applied to an Israelite Prophet, as Kedar is the second son of Ishmael. See Genesis 25:13.
Note: Mecca has another name called (Amm Al Gura) which means in English the mother of the villages, it is surrounded by many villages.

"Let them give glory unto the Lord, and declare his praise in the islands." And really Islam spread to the small islands as far as Indonesia and the Caribbean Sea.

Also their are a description of Mohameed (PUH).

Faithfulservant said:

Salaamu alyckum all
This story may give idea about the status of The God's house " Al Kaaba" and Macca upon our God "Allah " and upon Muslims.

The Year of the Elephant
Abdul-Muttalib had his private grief, but a general grief was soon to befall all Mecca because from the south a great army was approaching it. Abraha, the Abyssinian, who with his troops had traveled hundreds of miles in order to pull down the Ancient House, led it. Abraha had invaded Yemen and subjugated its fierce highland people to his rule. On this expedition, however, he was not interested in the land for it was mostly desert, but only in one spot, Mecca, and one place, the Kaaba.

The Ancient House of Abraham and Ishmael had great repute among the Arabs. They traveled hundreds of miles from remote parts of the peninsula to visit it. Simple and austere, it had a strange spiritual beauty that drew men towards it. The church Abraha had built at great cost, using the finest marble, gold, and ivory could not compete with it, therefore the Ancient House had to be pulled down.

When the Arabs heard of this, two tribes, together with volunteers from other tribes, tried to block his way but were defeated. Against Abraha's great army, his war elephants, and javelin throwers they did not stand a chance. Abraha traveled on towards Mecca using an Arab captive as a guide.

As he approached Mecca, the Meccans rose to fight for their beloved Kaaba, the first house built on earth for the worship of Allah. But they soon learnt that they were no match for Abraha and his great host of trained soldiers with their war elephants.

Abraha sent a messenger to Abdul-Muttalib, the ruler of Mecca, saying that he had not come to fight them but only to pull down the Ancient House. If they offered him no resistance, he would spare their lives. Abdul-Muttalib with a delegation of Meccans went to see Abraha, hoping that through negotiations they would be able to save the Ancient House.

Abraha, impressed by the dignity and distinguished air of Abdul- Muttalib, offered to return the latter's camels that his soldiers had taken, but he would not hear of his request that the Kaaba be spared. Abdul- Muttalib and the delegation offered to give him one-third of the wealth of the Tihama region but Abraha refused. He had come from far richer lands and was not interested in taking money and returning; he had come to pull down the Ancient house. This House had a strange attraction to men and so long as it remained his church did not have a chance of stirring their hearts.

Exhausted and with a heavy heart, Abdul-Muttalib returned to tell the people of Mecca that all was lost and to flee for their lives to the mountain heights. When questioned what would become of the Ancient House, he said, “The Kaaba has Allah I to protect it.”

The name Allah had been used in the Arabic language long before the time of Mohamed, since the days of Abraham and Ishmael, who worshipped Allah alone. With the passage of time and the influence of other peoples the Arabs began to worship idols, but nominally they still admitted the existence of Allah, and said these were lesser gods.

After seeing the women and children conveyed to the safety of the mountains, Abdul-Muttalib took the men and went to pray by the Ancient House for the last time. They prayed with intense fervor, begging Allah to protect His House. Abdul-Muttalib kept clinging to the door of the Kaaba and praying until the last moment.

Abraha directed his great lead elephant towards Mecca. It would have been able to break down the walls of the Kaaba in no time. The elephant walked until it reached the boundaries of the Sacred City and then stopped as if turned into stone. Abraha and his soldiers did all they could to make it move but it would not budge, so they directed it towards AI-Sham. The elephant now began to move so they directed it towards the Kaaba again and again the elephant became like a granite boulder.

Suddenly in the sky there appeared birds in large numbers. Great flocks of birds covered the horizon like enormous black clouds. They swooped down upon Abraha and his men and kept pelting them with small sharp stones until many were stoned to death. Only a few were able to flee.

After the birds had done their work, Abraha and the remnants of his crushed army headed back towards Yemen where he died of shock and exhaustion.

Years later these holy verses from the Koran were to remind the Meccans, many of whom were old enough to remember, of the incident.

“Have you not seen what your Lord did to the people of the elephant? Did He not make their cunning go astray? And set upon them birds in great hordes to pelt them with stones of hard mud, making them like eaten-up leaves.” (105:1-5)

They are both a warning that those who oppose Allah will come to grief and a reminder of the goodness of Allah to them in how He saved the Ancient House for them, when they stood unable to do anything.

After this miraculous incident the fame of the Kaaba spread wider, its attraction increased, and the Arabs came from all parts of the peninsula to visit the Sacred House. The total rout of the army that had come to destroy it served only to enhance its sanctity. It was the year 570 AD, and of such tremendous importance to the Arabs that they called it 'The Year of the Elephant.

Thanks to all

Faithfulservant said:
My point is that you cant deny the possibility of it. If we are threatened with nuclear weapons couldnt it be possible that the response to that threat would be one of our own? What would be the sure fire way to stop Bin Laden and make him think before acting in such a manner? Threaten the one thing that he holds more dear than his jihad. This is just for discussions sake and Im not condoning any possibility of such an action just as I dont condone any actions Bin Laden has made against my country.
Possibilities are endless; best to work with 'probablies'. Still, Ill have to agree with 'Bloodnf', it wont work. The threats would make him smile at the most. It is the House of Allah and He will protect it as He Wills. Im sure you read the 'year of the elephant' story cause Bin Laden would know this same story, so it wont work & he'll just smile. If Bush destroys Makkah by nuking it, he better nuke the whole planet. Believe me, he should. Come to think of it, with the millions of muslims in america, nuke america too OR be ready for something that i cannot describe. Ofcourse, this is just for discussion's sake.
Since we are talking possibilties, you wudnt be working for the US government would you;)?
peace.

Just for yours Information

Macca or Bakka as mentioned in Al Quraan was also mentioned in bible.
"Verily, the first house (of worship) appointed for mankind was that in Bakka (Mecca), full of blessing, and guidance for all people." Qur'an 3:96

Bakka is mentioned by the prophet David (PBUH) in the Bible:

"Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well, the rain also filleth the pools." (Psalm 84:6)

The well here is the well known well of Zam-Zam, still present now, close to the Ka'bah; after thousands of years.

Thanks

Faithfulservant said:
Hello Bloodnf.. Muslims would still do the pilgrimage under nuclear fallout?
Well if the place was too hot for humans than the Hajj would not be possible until the area was cleaned and the Kaaba was rebuilt.

Of course nuking Mecca would cause WWIII so maybe no place would be habitable.

Anyway the whole point is that the threat of nuking Mecca would not stop Bin Laden or any other muslim from anything.

Back