Baha'i Holy Days

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
I decided to open another thread on the topic of Baha'i Holy Days as each of them have a special significance and are also part of our Calendar:

Naw-Rúz The Bahá’í New Year 20 March 20 March

First Day of Ridván (meaning “Paradise” in Arabic) — the most important of the Bahá’í holy days. It is the day on which Bahá’u’lláh declared His mission as a Messenger of God. 20 April 20 April

Ninth Day of Ridván, the day on which Bahá’u’lláh’s family joined Him in the Garden of Ridván. 28 April 28 April

Twelfth Day of Ridván the day on which Bahá’u’lláh and His family left the garden to travel to Constantinople. 1 May 1 May

Declaration of the Báb the anniversary of the Báb’s announcement of His mission in 1844. 23 May 23 May

Ascension of Bahá’u’lláh marking the passing of Bahá’u’lláh in 1892 28 May 28 May

Martyrdom of the Báb Who was executed in 1850 9 July 9 July

Birth of the Báb 18 October 6 November

Birth of Bahá’u’lláh 19 October 7 November

Day of the Covenant* commemorating Bahá’u’lláh’s appointment of His son, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, as the One to whom His followers should turn after His passing. 25 November 25 November

Ascension of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá* marking the passing of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in 1921 27 November 27 November
Note: The Bahá’í holy days are set and move according to a solar calendar commencing with the Spring Equinox. However the holy days marking the birth of the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh are set and move according to a lunar calculation.

* Work not suspended; Bahá’ís are enjoined to suspend work on all but these holy days.

Source for the above:

The Bahá’í Community of Canada

Fruitless speculation: the birthdays of the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh, and the Day of the Covenant, occur in three consecutive Baha’i months. I have long wondered if someday dedicating the entire months to Them will be a cultural practice no matter which days are the official observances.

Back