Questions...

ame

aMe
Reaction score
I would like to know how is the Muslim calendar, like where is Christmas for you brothers and when is the Ramadam, and what specials dates do you have ???
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Salam (Peace)

I'm new and I'm happy I found a thread I can contribute in! :)

What I know about the Islamic Calendar is that it is a lunar calendar containing 12 months that are based on the movements of the moon. It is shorter than a tropical year and therefore it shifts with respect to the Christian calendar.

The names of the 12 months are:

Muharram, Safar, Rabi al awal, Rabi al thani, Jamadi al awal, Jumadi al thani, Rajab, Shaban, Ramadan, Shawwal, Dhil Qad and Dhil Hajj.

We count the years since the Hijrah (Prophet Muhammad's migration from Makkah to Madinah). For instance 2 AH would mean 2 years after the Hijrah.

I don't think Muslims celebrate Christmas (at least I don't).

As for special dates, we have several some of which are as follows:

1st of Shawwal - Eid al Fitr, the celebration that marks the end of the Month of Fasting ie. Ramadan.

10th of Dhil Hajj - Eid al Adha.

etc.

I hope this was helpful!

Amatullah

ame said:
I would like to know how is the Muslim calendar, like where is Christmas for you brothers and when is the Ramadam, and what specials dates do you have ???
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Assalam-o-Alaikum ame,
I will add to what 'Amatullah' has written.
Since the Islamic calendar is purely lunar, as opposed to solar, the Muslim (Hijri) year is shorter than the Gregorian year by about 11 days & months in the Islamic (Hijri) year are not related to seasons, which are fundamentally determined by the solar cycle. This means that important Muslim festivals, which always fall in the same Hijri month, may occur in different seasons. For example, the Hajj and Ramadhan can take place in the summer as well as the winter. It is only over a 33 year cycle that lunar months take a complete turn and fall during the same season. here is a quote of some significance:
"It (the advent of the 15th century) is indeed, a unique occasion to ponder that the Islamic Era did not start with the victories of Islamic wars, nor with the birth or death of the prophet (PBUH), nor with the Revelation itself. It starts with Hijra, or the sacrifice for the cause of Truth and for the preservation of the Revelation. It was a divinely inspired selection. God wanted to teach man that struggle between Truth and Evil is eternal. The Islamic year reminds Muslims every year not of the pomp and glory of Islam but of its sacrifice and prepares them to do the same.''
[Mohammad Ilyas, "A Modern Guide to Astronomical Calculations of Islamic Calendar, Times & Qibla,'' Berita Publishing, 1984]
As far as festivals go, these are only the two Eids. 'Amatullah' has written about that. Please note that all islamic dates begin at sunset the preceding evening. Some other important dates are:
Fasting is one of the pillars of Islam and is done for the whole month of Ramadhan, which is the 9th lunar month.
Hajj is another pillar of Islam and takes place during 8-12th Zul-Hajj.Zul-Hajj is the 12th and final lunar month. Today is 11th of Zul-Hajj.
10th of Moharram [called Aashura]. After his arrival in Madinah in the year 623, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) instituted fasting on the 10th of Muharram. A year later, this fasting was replaced with the mandatory fasting in the month of Ramadhan. However, fasting on 'Aashura' remained a voluntary fasting. Many Muslims fast on this day also.
The year 1426 of the Hijri calendar is going to start in less than 20 days. You can see the new calendar superimposed on the solar calendar here.
http://www.moonsighting.com/1426.html
Celebrating a new year isnt part of our tradition as far as i know. And, muslims definitely dont celebrate Christmas Amatullah . I think ame just wanted to know whatever similar events we had.
Hope this information helped ame.

Thank you brothers... that is really interesting!!!!:D
So other than that specials dates which other ones do you have???
and what year is this one for you??? and when does it ends and it what month is it right now following the Muslim Calendar???
when was the latest special day that you celebrated when was it in the Christian calendar????:confused:

ame said:
Thank you brothers... that is really interesting!!!!:D
So other than that specials dates which other ones do you have???
and what year is this one for you??? and when does it ends and it what month is it right now following the Muslim Calendar???
when was the latest special day that you celebrated when was it in the Christian calendar????:confused:
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
If i think of any others, ill write them. The answer to all of your other questions is my previous post.

Thank you very much... I'm sorry I didn't saw the link for the muslim calendar:D

but thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

what si the muslim position against a single moms? are they accepted in the muslim community?? is allow for a muslim guy to marry a single mom that is not muslim ????

ame said:
what si the muslim position against a single moms? are they accepted in the muslim community?? is allow for a muslim guy to marry a single mom that is not muslim ????
Salaamu Alyckum

ame , Mother in Islam has special position prophet Mohameed said, " the paradise is under the feet of the mothers “. Actually, single women is respected in Islam and she can marry anyone whom she chose if he also chose her, but remember that she must be either Muslim 's women or Christian's women or Jewish's women.

Thanks

ok... thank you!!!!

what about divorce??, do you accept it or no??, and what about common in law???
:confused:

ame said:
ok... thank you!!!!

what about divorce??, do you accept it or no??, and what about common in law???:confused:
Assalam-o-Alaikum ame,
Yes, Islam allows divorce.
Regarding your second question.. im not sure but it seems that you are asking about common-law marriage. The merriam-webster dictionary says that it is:
1 : a marriage recognized in some jurisdictions and based on the parties' agreement to consider themselves married and sometimes also on their cohabitation
2 : the cohabitation of a couple even when it does not constitute a legal marriage

Islam requires that there should be a proposal and the proposal has to be accepted and there be two witnesses as well at the marriage ceremony. If any of these conditions is not fullfiled, this 'marriage' is not legal in Islam. Now, to my knowledge, it is not a necessary requirement for the marriage to be announced to make it legal but it is highly recommended. It is Sunnah to announce the marriage and the reason for that is:

1 – The Sunnah enjoins this, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Announce marriages.” [Narrated by Ahmad and classed as Hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1072]
2 – So as to distinguish the valid shar’i marriage that is enjoined by Islam from immorality, because fornication is done secretly, whereas legitimate marriage is that which is proclaimed openly, so as to distinguish the one from the other.It is to avoid any misconception of an illegitimate or illicit relationship. This is the wisdom behind announcing marriages.

From my understanding of what the dictionary is saying, then common-law marriage is not legal in Islam.
and Allah knows best.

Back