Babylon and Jerusalem

"For the people of God, Jesus Christ the rightful King of Jerusalem is our only hope for blessing in the midst of this great conflict between Babylon and Jerusalem (Hebrews 7)"

Yes .. the final return of Jesus is not only prophesized, but necessary to purify the world and usher in an era of global peace.

I've been to Jerusalem, as a tourist. I had just visited the Dead Sea, stood atop Masada, and was now hitching a ride with a someone from the Maltese order, who had a black and white keffiye (Palestinian scarf) draped visibly on the side of the dashboard as we drove through the West Bank. It was winter and it got quite cold as we got up to the city. I was in a suitably confused mood as I arrived. I visited a couple of religious sites, and moved on the next day. It was a strange city.

I've never been to Iraq.

The first Gulf War was going on at the time, so these memories of mine fit in with the general theme of your article.

In what way, strange?

The architecture - maybe it's the building code, but every building was tiled with these limestone tiles. Very uniform-looking. Everything seemed serious and tense, unlike other towns in Israel.

The architecture - maybe it's the building code, but every building was tiled with these limestone tiles. Very uniform-looking. Everything seemed serious and tense, unlike other towns in Israel.

Yes .. good.
It is serious and tense. You could "feel the vibes".
..not just the tension between different factions, but the intensity of people's spirituality, most likely.

A VERY spiritual, historic place!

Yes .. good.
It is serious and tense. You could "feel the vibes".
..not just the tension between different factions, but the intensity of people's spirituality, most likely.

A VERY spiritual, historic place!

I once knew a person who said they carried the archetype of Babylon in their heart. The person said no one could convince them otherwise. I didn't try. I suspect there are those who by the same token carry the archetype Jerusalem.

Babylon and Jerusalem, in war from start to finish. Perhaps both in one person is possible? A person torn, a walking battleground in whom lives a never-ending(?) war.

But how would that work, what would it look like? Jerusalem is beautiful, but only reach for it and the claws of Babylon would sink deep into your heart. Attack Babylon with violence, and the true sword of Jerusalem leaves you a headless prophet. Surely a formidable fortress, this combination. What to do? I have no idea... yet.

Working together, yet forever opposed... All would-be knights just becoming collateral damage in a never-ending war. Certainly a conundrum of epic proportions.

And not pleasant, because the person would be suffering horribly. I see that now. :( This is a person with a huge heart. Few if any would be able to withstand this level of pain. My heart is heavy and weary as the weight of this dawns upon me.

Last edited:
"For the people of God, Jesus Christ the rightful King of Jerusalem is our only hope for blessing in the midst of this great conflict between Babylon and Jerusalem (Hebrews 7)"

Sorry I missed this one before, but yes.

Yes .. the final return of Jesus is not only prophesized, but necessary to purify the world and usher in an era of global peace.

In whatever form He comes, in spirit, in macrocosm, in microcosm, yes.

Last edited:
But how would that work, what would it look like? Jerusalem is beautiful, but only reach for it and the claws of Babylon would sink deep into your heart. Attack Babylon with violence, and the true sword of Jerusalem leaves you a headless prophet. Surely a formidable fortress, this combination. What to do? I have no idea... yet.

Hi stranger,

Well, I think for now all you can do is love, try to understand. Never give up, the fight is to the death. Jerusalem responds to love, to unwavering commitment. She is true, she sees who loves and who does not. Babylon's charms are fading, she is in a state of decline. The harder she fights, the worse it gets for her. She is burning out, her strength beginning to fail. Soon Jerusalem will reign supreme.

"Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved? I raised thee up under the apple tree: there thy mother brought thee forth: there she brought thee forth that bare thee." -- Song of Solomon 8:5

Last edited:
Back