Islamic sects and schools of thought

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
Ok Im going to start a new thread since this has become a focus of interest for me. Im curious how each sect differs from the others. Im almost overwhelmed with the magnitude of the question because up until a few months ago I didnt know anything about Islam so its a foreign language to me. However, I pick up languages pretty fast so Im hoping to keep up.

How do the followers of different sects get along?

What are the base beliefs that each sect agrees on?

What do they not agree on?

Are the sects based on culture or geographic origin?

Im very excited about this. Im sure any of you could give me a multitude of sites to visit but my interest is more on a personal level. I would like to know what each of you think personally rather than reading someone elses ideas.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide me with

Faithfulservant said:
Ok Im going to start a new thread since this has become a focus of interest for me. Im curious how each sect differs from the others. Im almost overwhelmed with the magnitude of the question because up until a few months ago I didnt know anything about Islam so its a foreign language to me. However, I pick up languages pretty fast so Im hoping to keep up.
Faithfulservant said:
How do the followers of different sects get along?

What are the base beliefs that each sect agrees on?

What do they not agree on?

Are the sects based on culture or geographic origin?

Im very excited about this. Im sure any of you could give me a multitude of sites to visit but my interest is more on a personal level. I would like to know what each of you think personally rather than reading someone elses ideas.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide me with

Salaamu Alyckum

Firstly ,I want to explain for you the position of sects in Islam as Allah tell us in Al Quraan , then I will try to answer your questions.

Translation for some Verses of Al Quraan tell us that we must reject sects and we mustn't devide ourselves into sects:

[6:159]" Those who divide themselves into sects do not belong with
you. Their judgment rests with GOD, then He will inform
them of everything they had done. "

[30:32] "(Do not fall in idol worship,) like those who divide
their religion into sects; each party rejoicing with what
they have."

[42:14] "Ironically, they broke up into sects only after the
knowledge had come to them, due to jealousy and
resentment among themselves. If it were not for a
predetermined decision from your Lord to respite them for
a definite interim, they would have been judged
immediately. Indeed, the later generations who inherited
the scripture are full of doubts."

sects of Islam ( Sunni, Shias, Ahmaddis, NOI....etc.) follow sources and religious scholars, instead of the Quran.

These sects are there because of differences and disagreements on the interpretations of Hadith ( what our prophet said about different daily life issues ) rather than disagreements over the Quran.

The two big sects of Islam Sunni and Shiah differentiate about who should be the head of Muslims after the death of our prophet Mohammed Sunni supported the idea of unanimity while Shiah wanted Ali (may Allah please him ) the cousin of Mohammed (Peace Upon Him ) to come after the prophet or succeed him .This is the main reason for those sects to be formed , Although Quraan still the main source for All Muslims to follow our God rules .

The "Sunnis", Call for unanimity , the majority, with 800 million Muslims.

They belief the "caliph" ("successor" of Muhammad) should always be elected, not conferred by heredity.

The "Shiites", followers of Ali, with 100 million Muslims (Iran, Iraq, Some Gulf states ).

Nation of Islam, a large political group for African American, although have achieved a great political gain for the African Americans in the USA, they produced their own sources other than the Quraan and follow other sources besides the Quraan for religious laws. This is completely condemned in the TRUE Islam. Many of the followers of the Nation of Islam however are more acceptable to the TRUE Islam (Submission) when they get exposed to it as most of them are well educated and intelligent. Like all the other.

Thanks

Assalam u Alaykum sister Friend. And Hello again Faithfulservant.

Thanks to Friend for the thorough answer about sects. I do believe her answer is incomplete about the Nation of Islam and I have to add something. Her statements are unfair to groups like the Bilalians, who broke away from Elijah Muhammad, just as Muhammad Ali did, to become mainstream Muslims. Also those who followed the late Malcolm X are mainstream Muslims.

Faithfulservant, you are asking those of us Muslim participants to these threads for something which is against a foundational moral requirement in Islam. Our opinions, you see, are of no import whatsoever. It is critical that Islam be presented consistently and correctly; therefore, nearly every attempt to answer your questions absolutely must be supported by the Holy Qur'an. We as individuals do not have the weight and merit of the revelations. I do not post verses from the Holy Qur'an and Hadith if I have read the posts and know that others are doing that extensively. We will argue amongst ourselves, because Muslims are enjoined to not misrepresent Islam at all costs.

One of the distinct differences in the Holy Qur'an is that it was revealed in a style and language that is easy to memorize. The Arabic in the Holy Qur’an is unique. It is not Modern Colloquial Arabic. Islam does not really have, say, an equivalent to the Catholic Bible, the King James Version of the Bible, or the Living Bible. I believe Sister Friend stated that. The note that I brought up was on the Islamic Schools of Thought, because these Schools of Thought have a great influence over how we practice aspects of Islam in our daily lives and can impact how we interpret things in the Holy Qur'an.

I don't know whether you believe in the Bible literally or figuratively. I do know that many Christians believe in the Bible literally. I guess that would mean that like many of my Coptic Christian acquaintances, those individuals would not eat pork, as that is prohibited in the Old Testament as well. But that is a question for yet another thread that I should ask you perhaps.

I hope to see more response to this new thread and that others elaborate more on Islamic Jurisprudence, which is what the discussion on the original thread was really about; as well as the resulting combination of cultural and regional influences that result in literal or figurative interpretation of the Holy Qur'an.

I thoroughly dislike long winded explanations of anything; unfortunately, I managed to produce one. Thanks for your patience :eek:

Peace and Blessings to all

The four Madhahib

If we read the Islamic history and the development of Islamic Jurisprudence (The science of Fiqah), we will realize that the four Ahle Sunnat Imams of Islamic Jurisprudence, Imam Abu Hanifah, Imam Malik, Imam Shafi'e and Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal (May Allah shower His mercy upon them) had very high respect and love for the family of Prophet (Peace be upon him). They learnt Islamic Jurisprudence from Imams of Ahle Bait (family of Prophet Muhammad, Peace be upon him). Imam Abu Hanifa was not only a student of Imam Ja'ffar us Sadiq but he was also his stepson.
The major division among Muslims in Jurisprudence occurred when the Science of Fiqah (Islamic Jurisprudence) became a formal subject, the Sunni Muslims were divided into four Madhahib (ways), HANAFI, MALKI, SHAFI'E AND HANBALI. The Shi'a Muslims separated their Fiqah and called it JA'FARIAH (from Imam Ja'ffar us Sadiq, May Allah be pleased with him). However, beside the differences in Fiqah the Sunni Muslim scholars and Imams always respected each other and never ever condemned each other. The discussion on the differences in Fiqah was never made a topic of Friday Sermon (KHUTBAH). One never called the other Imam and his followers as wrong. They never asked the Muslims not to follow the other Imams. Their differences of opinions were purely intellectual and based upon the Hadith of Prophet (peace be upon him) which reached to them at different times. This was the difference of opinion, which Allah's Prophet (peace be upon him) called "IKHTILAFO UMMATI RAHMAH", "The intellectual difference of opinion in my Ummah is a blessing".

The local nationalism was never preferred over the worldwide Islamic brotherhood. Imam Muslim, Imam Bukhari, Imam Trmidhi and many other Imams and scholars of Islam were non Arabs but no one felt that they were from non Arab parts of the world. Every Muslim knew only one criteria of brotherhood, which was the love, and the following of Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him). With all the differences Muslims were united and very faithful to their religion. Muslims knew and practiced that " AL MUSLIM-O-MAN SAL-I-MAL MUSL-E-MOON-A- MILLI SANIHI WA YADIH ", a Muslim is a person from whose hands and tongue the other Muslims are safe (Al Hadith).

In this time, I never hear ( I'm HANAFI, MALKI, SHAFI'E or HANBALI ) we are all search about Islamic rules in Al Quraan and in the Accurate Hadieth of Mohameed (PUH) ,As our earlier Muslims studied and searched within the standard references of our Islamic rules (AlQuraan & Accurate hadith ) to understand Islam and to measure how to deal with new requirements of our life . we all from many Islamic countries ask Muslims scholars in the TV programs or in in the web without mention that we are from that or this Madhahib.

Thanks

Thank you Seeker and Friend for your help on this subject. As a Christian I completely relate to the problems of Muslims not representing the Qu'ran in unity. We have the same problems with different denominations teaching different things and how to explain to a non-Christian what "Christians" believe. I have extensively searched what each denomination believes during my journey for enlightenment and have found the only way is to follow the word for my truth and not man-made truth. I completely respect that you not want to appear un-unified in speaking of Islam so I will try not to ask questions that are uncomfortable. I am uncomfortable when others ask me about churches such as seventh day adventists and mormonism because I do not believe in their teachings. I, too look forward for more posts on this subject and I welcome any questions that you would ask me on the Christianity thread. I have to warn you though I have a tendency to be a bit long winded. So much to say so little room.

God bless

Back