Ursula Le Guin

Leveller

Reaction score
I kept coming across references to Ursula Le Guin so in the end decided to give it a try. I have bought 'The Dispossesed' and am a quarter of the way through. So far I am quite impressed. Anybody else here read her books?

Yep. Read her Earthsea trilogy a long time ago ... I think 'The Dispossessed' and 'The Left Hand of Darkness' are more serious works?

I am finding it to be a serious work. The sci fi element is background really. It is creating an alternative society in which she can apply her ideas. It could just as easily have been done on earth in the way that 'Brave New World' was.

Oh, I love her work! Ticks so many boxes. Glad you like "The Dispossessed, it's one of my favorites. She was an anarchist, and a Taoist, an irresistible combination to me.

I'm currently reading "Always coming home", a fascinating book that is hard to describe in one sentence.

I have just read her obituary from the New York Times. It starts with this,
The writer’s “pleasant duty,” she said, is to ply the reader’s imagination with “the best and purest nourishment that it can absorb.”

The obit itself is well worth reading. Clearly she cannot just be summed up as a 'sci fi'writer.

I've often read that people who are known for writing 'genre' fiction are often assumed to be not of the same class of author who writes 'literary fiction'. Pity. I think it's a mistaken assumption.

I've often read that people who are known for writing 'genre' fiction are often assumed to be not of the same class of author who writes 'literary fiction'. Pity. I think it's a mistaken assumption.
My brain can only take so many steps from reality (my physical space and time) before it gets lost in the soup and can't keep up. I need to keep one foot on the ground to keep the story straight.

Could be that is why I struggle with the bible!

He, dude! Just to clarify this wasn't a pop at you!

I enjoyed the Earthsea series years ago. Lately, I've been thinking about picking up The Left Hand of Darkness, and my hesitancy to do so probably means that I really do need to read it.

Well, I have finished it and am incredibly impressed with this author and the book. This is one of those rare works of fiction where I got personally involved with the story and now miss the characters.
For those interested in alternative societies there is a lot of wisdom here and much food for thought.

She manages to evoke very realistic scenes to me when reading her work.

The societies she describes in "Left Hand of Darkness" are very well portrayed, too.

It's wonderful to be sharing the joy we get from her books, here. Thanks, @Leveller!

Back