Music of your nation or tradition

Kenny818

Reaction score
I hope it's allowed to post youtube links here. if not, I'm sorry.

My friend sent me a link of a blind man in my city playing a folk song, "The Mulberry Fields (of Qin)" on a traditional instrument. In my opinion, he plays pretty well.

This instrument is not easy to play, even for those who are sighted. Each finger has four basic plucking techniques (push, strike, hook, or rub), and the left hand can be used to "bend" the pitches a half step up or down. A complete list of techniques is here, and even after modern notation was established, there was a sort of oral tradition that came along with many songs about how they should be properly played.

What instruments or songs are typical of your country/culture/nation/tradition?

We have a policy of ten posts prior to links, that being said, I like the premise if this thread and your OP....Hence approved.

Take a look at out code of conduct, introduce yourself! Ans thx for the contribution

I live in the US as far as I know (and lay here anticipating being corrected) while we are a melting pot of peoples, beliefs, traditions and tastes our "native" music is born from, evolved from imported slaves. The music from the blacks in the south, the combination of drum beats, rhythms and song from various African cultures and traditions lent to the creation of jazz, blues and Rock and Roll.

If you look at early rock hits...a plethora of them were covers of old black music that proceeded the young white bands "revolutionary " music.

Yes, much of American music is from the African diaspora, who developed ragtime, blues, and jazz, which influenced rock and country. (as stated)
Additionally, the settlers from the British Isles had folk tunes and the Appalachian folk tradition reflects that. There is a lot of folk music from the early days of American and through the 19th century.

So my genes are Gaelic and my dad was the best fiddle player ever – I'll brook no argument on that point – Irish and Scottish Traditional – so there's that.

When dad got homesick he used to shut himself in the bedroom and play Women of Ireland:

Catlick, so necessarily Gregorian Chant, but Corsican Polyphony hits the mark for me:

Going deeper ... as a typographer I'm into minimalist/Swiss typography, and musically I click with repetitive rhythms, but which I mean Michael Nyman or Philip Glass ...

I also shock my beloved with the occasional rendition of what might be described as 'rugby songs', and, heaven help me, I'be no idea why I've absorbed those lyrics of where from, but there you go ... that's from the sludge at the bottom of my musical reservoir/repertoire.

But to cleanse that from your souls, catch this, and if it doesn't uplift you, there's not a Cletic drop in your veins!

I had never heard of Corsican polyphony before, but I enjoyed the sample. Thank you. As soon as I heard it, the musical style, I was reminded of this gem from Georgia. I have no Georgian ancestry, so I hope that Kenny will forgive me for sneaking it in. I have got plenty of Celt though.

So my genes are Gaelic and my dad was the best fiddle player ever – I'll brook no argument on that point – Irish and Scottish Traditional – so there's that.

When dad got homesick he used to shut himself in the bedroom and play Women of Ireland:

Catlick, so necessarily Gregorian Chant, but Corsican Polyphony hits the mark for me:

Going deeper ... as a typographer I'm into minimalist/Swiss typography, and musically I click with repetitive rhythms, but which I mean Michael Nyman or Philip Glass ...

I also shock my beloved with the occasional rendition of what might be described as 'rugby songs', and, heaven help me, I'be no idea why I've absorbed those lyrics of where from, but there you go ... that's from the sludge at the bottom of my musical reservoir/repertoire.

But to cleanse that from your souls, catch this, and if it doesn't uplift you, there's not a Cletic drop in your veins!
When I was in high school I came across the Hearts of Space radio program. I was hooked! The program introduced me to the Chieftans, Michael Nyman, Philip Glass and Liam O'Flynn. I would record the programs. One day some metalhead friends were visiting. Someone pushed play on my stereo. I froze in terror, thinking they would make fun of my music. Instead they all loved it and listened to my tapes all night. We've all been hooked ever since.

And of course you piqued ny interest...and what? No video link?

For that I offer..
my dad was the best fiddle player ever – I'll brook no argument
My niece is training..

And as the Traditionalists keep cropping up, I'll pop in this ...

Written by Sir John Taverner, it was performed at the funeral of Lady Diana Spencer, late wife of King Charles III.

Taverner was a follower of the Sophia Perennis, indeed was a composer of the musica perennis, and had converted to Russian Orthodox Christianity.

Inspired by the Trads, he speaks of them on his website. One of his magisterial pieces, the 7-hour "The Veil of the Temple" summed up his musica perennis and his views regarding 'the transcendent unity of religion' which is axiomatic of the sophia perennis.

Well I am Swedish and our native population didn't speak swedish but something that might have sounded a bit like this:

- Sapmi artist Katarina Barruk

- Elfdahlian artist Ellinor Nilsson

Depending on where in our big country you are refering to..

Back