Do Jews believe they are G!d's Chosen People?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
From a discussion on another thread.

Is this common thought amongst Jews?

Is it really only Christians that say this?

Is this story from the Torah, Tanakh, Mishna, or someplace else?

From a discussion on another thread.

Is this common thought amongst Jews?

Is it really only Christians that say this?

Is this story from the Torah, Tanakh, Mishna, or someplace else?
Contrary to the attached video, the story of G-d offering Torah to the other peoples of the world does not appear in the Torah. It is a well known midrash, part of a collection of midrashim called Sifrei Devarim.

Now, in regard to the other questions you asked, it would be helpful if you defined what you mean by “chosen”. I don’t mean to be evasive, but…. Well, let me give an over the top example. Two parents can be discussing how to deal with a child who has engaged in inappropriate behavior. One parent says, “The child should be disciplined.” The second says, “You’re right. I agree completely.” Then each parent goes off, each thinking that they are saying the same thing.

Except, one parent means discussing with the child the situation and then taking away a privilege for week, while the other parent is referring to some mode of corporal punishment followed by exposing the child to public humiliation by being forced to wear a t-shirt reading, “I am an evil child who misbehaved”.

Like I said it is a ridiculously over the top example, but it makes the point….. and it is was more fun to write than doing a riff on Shaw’s famous remark that the USA and Britain were two countries separated by a common language.

I like your ridiculously over the top example!

And I don't know what is meant by chosen to her, to me the implication is selected...like on the team.

I was always one of the last chosen as a kid, not hugely athletic....but I got "chosen" to me chosen doesn't mean the only one.

And since I don't take much of anything literally (cept gravity, since I am a juggler) I don't know thar Jews being chosen means they are the only ones.

I know jews who wear it with pride, others embarrassed by the notion.

I know Christians who cringe when they hear it and start on anti Semitic responses...and others who honor jews for it.

Bottom line... I started the thread to learn what others think/believe.

Especially you...now if I could invoke @bananabrain or @dauer

Contrary to the attached video, the story of G-d offering Torah to the other peoples of the world does not appear in the Torah. It is a well known midrash, part of a collection of midrashim called Sifrei Devarim.

Now, in regard to the other questions you asked, it would be helpful if you defined what you mean by “chosen”. I don’t mean to be evasive, but…. Well, let me give an over the top example. Two parents can be discussing how to deal with a child who has engaged in inappropriate behavior. One parent says, “The child should be disciplined.” The second says, “You’re right. I agree completely.” Then each parent goes off, each thinking that they are saying the same thing.

Except, one parent means discussing with the child the situation and then taking away a privilege for week, while the other parent is referring to some mode of corporal punishment followed by exposing the child to public humiliation by being forced to wear a t-shirt reading, “I am an evil child who misbehaved”.

Like I said it is a ridiculously over the top example, but it makes the point….. and it is was more fun to write than doing a riff on Shaw’s famous remark that the USA and Britain were two countries separated by a common language.
Who are the people that are to be grafted in? What does the midrash say?

Back