Christianity: the basics

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
From a discussion with @TheLightWithin

Trinity and Incarnation – Two mysteries at the very heart of Christianity and from which everything flows.

From the very beginning, the Church believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, born of the Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit, and that initiation into the Faith, or as it was then called, The Way, was by baptism, and that baptism was in a tripartite formula, In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

For a monotheist religion, a dogma which Christianity defended from the get-go, that formula posits three 'powers', if not three gods, as some o9f its critics assumed. But Christianity was never a belief in Gods, always One God, in Three Persons.

Quite how was something for theologians to work out and wrangle over, sometimes with calamitous consequences for the laity. Various dogmatic definitions and statements were made at various times in the following centuries, but it would be erroneous to assume that those declarations, invariably delivered via the Councils, were something new and made up on the fly, as it were. Famously, the first Council, at Nicaea in 325AD, declared the Father and the Son were of the same substance, the same 'divine stuff'; whatever made God the Father God, made God the Son God as well. Not two substances, one substance, so we have to arrive at a distinction, and taking Jesus' own self-designation, we have Father and Son.

Questions of the relation of the Holy Spirit to Father and Son arose very quickly after ... but this is a church wrangling over theological determinations and definitions in a community who had believed in 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit', for centuries, by then.

The question of the physicality of the person of Jesus and His relationship to the Divine Person of Christ threw up various offerings; that God subsumed the human nature so the humanity of the man was all but effaced. Or that there was never a man as such, but an angelic being who appeared to be a man.

The Church defined the most paradoxical definition of the lot at Chalcedon in 451AD, that Jesus Christ was fully human, fully divine, one person with two natures, in what was called in philosophical terms a Hypostatic Union between the human and the divine.

These two – Trinity and Incarnation – became essentially markers of Christianity and were common to all the early congregations, the later Roman Catholic, the Eastern Orthodox, the Coptic and so on ... there may well be nuances of theological distinction, but fundamentally the same.

Non-Trinitarian beliefs were held by the Cathars in the 11th century (Good God source of the NT and an Evil God source of the OT). Thus two co-equal but opposed deities at war. Paulicians existed and were generally persecuted in the Greek East.

This general rule held, I think, up to an including the Reformation. The Reformation rejected neither Trinity nor Incarnation – simply it was the authority and practices of the Roman Catholic Church which was sought to be dismantled. The Unitarian Church (no relation to Unity) emerges about this time, a belief in God, in Jesus as Saviour but not divine, no Trinity as such. This arose in Poland and established in Transylvania.

Really it's with America's declaration of religious freedom that non-Trinitarians denominations take off in the 18th-19th centuries.

Reactions: RJM
@TheLightWithin:
"the certainty of eternal conscious torment prevented only by a strong belief that Jesus death on the cross will in some unclear fashion rescue you from that unimaginable fate. If and only if you believe it and believe a few other things."

Right ... we need to step carefully here, and especially step away from the fervid imaginings of the Middle Ages.

Based on Biblical data, there seem to be two Judgments.
The first is immediately upon death, when the options appear to be heaven, hell, or an indeterminate space between the two for the souls of those who were, if not absolutely good, nor were they absolutely evil.

The Final Judgement is at the End of the world when the Righteous get their just reward and the unrighteous are tipped into the fire, not for eternal pain, but to be burnt to ash. End of.

And the truth is, we have no sure way of knowing exactly what happens, or how.

Added to this, we have the complexity that we live in a physical space-time continuum, but beyond that, its unlikely we do. So 'eternity' is from a very human perspective. From the other side of the veil, it is always 'now'.

+++

My own faith, hope, belief and understanding is based on that of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI among others, in that at death we face the judgement under the withering gaze of the Blessed Heart of Jesus whose 'ardent, fiery love' burns away all impurities to reveal the untarnished soul.

We get to see our lives as they really were, all our good points, all our bad ... And someone says, "Now you see, now do you repent?" To which we can answer yes or no, in the full knowledge of the consequence of our answer – but either way, there can be no deceiving the Questioner.

My belief is not 'absolutely' catechetic. The Catechism teaches eternal damnation, as Christ does. But I believe Christ died for us all, and would do anything to save us from the brink, as it were ... I happen to believe in the apokatastasis – the Final Restoration of All Things – a very uncomfortably doctrine because it can argue that even Hitler, Pol Pot, etc., can and will be forgiven.

We humans demand justice.

I happen to listen to the words of Julian of Norwich, an English Mystic (1342-1416) who was granted a vision of Hell ... and it was empty.

+++

Scripture makes it clear that God is the final judge, and He can judge as He wills.

Sexual orientation is a place where the Church and I disagree.

I do not see it as a sin, a sickness or an ill.

+++

The Final Judgement is at the End of the world when the Righteous get their just reward and the unrighteous are tipped into the fire, not for eternal pain, but to be burnt to ash. End of.
This seems accurate and is a a teaching held to by Seventh Day Adventists, the old Worldwide Church of God and its surviving spinoffs, and also Christadelphians. There may be others. I believe this teaching is also not unknown in Judaism though firm afterlife dogma is less emphasized (@RabbiO can possibly correct and or refine my understanding of Judaism on this point)
However many Evangelicals hold fiercely to the notion of eternal torment. I do not know their motives, they claim to be trying to convert people but it seems almost as if they are adamantly trying to turn people away from G-d.

and Incarnation – Two mysteries at the very heart of Christianity and from which everything flows.

From the very beginning, the Church believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, born of the Virgin Mary
Well it don't take much before we would need to start the discussion eh?
Since there were nontrinitarians before the council, before the universal church, catholicism...Are you clasifying all the nontrintatian denominations....pentecostal, JW, LDS, unitarians, etc non Christian?

And then how long has the definition of Virgin in the Bible been debated? All those with different understandings...non Christian?

Sexual orientation is a place where the Church and I disagree.

I do not see it as a sin, a sickness or an ill.

+++
But that is not pandoras box? A hole in the dam?

Really it's with America's declaration of religious freedom that non-Trinitarians denominations take off in the 18th-19th centuries.
Interestingly, the Christadelphians seem much better represented in the the UK and Australia. They are few and far between here.

This seems accurate and is a a teaching held to by ...
To be fair, it's in the Bible.

However many Evangelicals hold fiercely to the notion of eternal torment. I do not know their motives ...
Currently the largest proportion of Evangelicals is in the US, and I think this view reflects an American, rather than Biblical, ideology. Or rathjer, the Levitical exhortation of 'an eye for an eye' was ameliorated by Jesus' insistence that we should forgive "seventy times seven"

If God's mercy is infinite, then logically no-one is beyond redemption ...

In the Traditions, the only unforgivable offence is that of refusing the offer of love and forgiveness.

Since there were nontrinitarians before the council, before the universal church, catholicism...Are you clasifying all the nontrintatian denominations....pentecostal, JW, LDS, unitarians, etc non Christian?
No, not all, no.

What I'm saying is Incarnation/Trinity Christianity is by far the largest Christian belief, across a number of denominations.

It was the belief of Christians prior to dogmatic definitions by councils, etc.

And then how long has the definition of Virgin in the Bible been debated?
Not that long, really, it's relatively recent. 17th century, with the advent of Text Criticism?

The point being, is it a general Christian belief? Yes. And, again, apparently from the get-go.

The debate about Hebrew and Greek terms is a dead-letter, really. Isaiah uses the word 'almah', commonly understood as 'young woman'. The Septuagint uses the word 'parthenos', commonly understood as 'virgin'. The Christian understanding is from Luke and Matthew.

All those with different understandings...non Christian?
No. Not what I said. You'd have to take it case-by-case.

But that is not pandoras box? A hole in the dam?
No, not on this point. Undoing Incarnation or Trinity, then we would have a problem.

Last edited:
@Thomas -- What is your understanding of the role that belief plays in all this?
That is, the idea that salvation comes from belief, rather than personal conduct in life?
Lots of people simply don't believe church teachings, or the bible, or they believe something but it may not be consistent with church teaching or the bible or anything else. What role does "belief" play and how/why?

I don't see gender diversity as necessarily a wrong or a sickness.
Ok, good.
I lost track of what this was a reply to. Was it meant for another thread? Or am I just missing something in this thread.
Look forward to your replies to my recent notes # 9, 10, 11.

pentecostal, JW, LDS, unitarians, etc non Christian?
Many do though.
Sometimes, it's impossible to even discuss the subject as some trinitarians will insist "I don't see how so and so can call themselves Christian if they're not trinitarian" etc.

Meme by @theMadJW deleted by moderator for repetition over several threads

Trinity and Incarnation – Two mysteries at the very heart of Christianity and from which everything flows.

From the very beginning, the Church believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, born of the Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit, and that initiation into the Faith, or as it was then called, The Way, was by baptism, and that baptism was in a tripartite formula, In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

For a monotheist religion, a dogma which Christianity defended from the get-go, that formula posits three 'powers', if not three gods, as some o9f its critics assumed. But Christianity was never a belief in Gods, always One God, in Three Persons.

Quite how was something for theologians to work out and wrangle over, sometimes with calamitous consequences for the laity. Various dogmatic definitions and statements were made at various times in the following centuries, but it would be erroneous to assume that those declarations, invariably delivered via the Councils, were something new and made up on the fly, as it were. Famously, the first Council, at Nicaea in 325AD, declared the Father and the Son were of the same substance, the same 'divine stuff'; whatever made God the Father God, made God the Son God as well. Not two substances, one substance, so we have to arrive at a distinction, and taking Jesus' own self-designation, we have Father and Son.

Questions of the relation of the Holy Spirit to Father and Son arose very quickly after ... but this is a church wrangling over theological determinations and definitions in a community who had believed in 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit', for centuries, by then.

The question of the physicality of the person of Jesus and His relationship to the Divine Person of Christ threw up various offerings; that God subsumed the human nature so the humanity of the man was all but effaced. Or that there was never a man as such, but an angelic being who appeared to be a man.

The Church defined the most paradoxical definition of the lot at Chalcedon in 451AD, that Jesus Christ was fully human, fully divine, one person with two natures, in what was called in philosophical terms a Hypostatic Union between the human and the divine.

These two – Trinity and Incarnation – became essentially markers of Christianity and were common to all the early congregations, the later Roman Catholic, the Eastern Orthodox, the Coptic and so on ... there may well be nuances of theological distinction, but fundamentally the same.

Non-Trinitarian beliefs were held by the Cathars in the 11th century (Good God source of the NT and an Evil God source of the OT). Thus two co-equal but opposed deities at war. Paulicians existed and were generally persecuted in the Greek East.

This general rule held, I think, up to an including the Reformation. The Reformation rejected neither Trinity nor Incarnation – simply it was the authority and practices of the Roman Catholic Church which was sought to be dismantled. The Unitarian Church (no relation to Unity) emerges about this time, a belief in God, in Jesus as Saviour but not divine, no Trinity as such. This arose in Poland and established in Transylvania.

The Trinity has NOTHING to do with the Bible.
!!!Pyscho.JPG

Back