7 symptoms of a prideful heart

Fear
Entitlement
Ingratitude
People-pleasing
Prayerlessness
Hypocrisy
Rebellion

The hope is in Jesus Christ for the proud heart. Immanuel meaning God with us—condescended to live among us to die for us, and to raise us to new life in Him. He never committed any of these.

Philippians 2:4-6
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

I'm personally dealing with this sin in my life. I'm a recovering co- dependent.. it's a long work in progress.

Interesting about people pleasing being a sign of pridefulness. On the face of it people pleasers appear the opposite of prideful. Please say more about this sign of pride in particular.
Pride is self worship and self preservation and people-pleasing is the direct result of pride. Some think people-pleasing is a positive trait because they’re concerned with serving others. But that belief is nothing more than a sneaky way of convincing ourselves that we are ok.. People-pleasing is all about self-satisfaction fearing man more than God and seeking the satisfaction that comes from man’s approval.

The apostle Paul knew human approval was a pointless and prideful pursuit. Because of that, he could say, “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ” (Galatians 1:10).

I am guilty of this one and it's a symptom of codependency.

many times I see with clients who are people pleasers, is that they lave along history of being given reasons to fear other people --abuse, social ostracism, etc. they feel like second class citizens who have to hop to to avoid getting spit on.
Yes I agree for me it's based on fear and the desire to be liked. I come from a long line of codependent women. Alcoholism runs rampant in my family.

I understand that people pleasing is often a codependent person with a fear of loss. They will do anything for their partner or friend as they have abandonment issues. While I think that is overly simplistic and there are many forces at work...this is a trend I see repeated.

Interesting about people pleasing being a sign of pridefulness. On the face of it people pleasers appear the opposite of prideful.
I wondered about this too. Our use of English is perhaps a part of the problem. I read pride as self-respect but I now see that you are referring to something further up the scale of egotism. "People pleasing" is not quite the nice activity that it may seem, either.

I have known two such characters, one a long-term friend and the other a work colleague. Both were "Mister nice guy" types, renowned for their charm. Only long experience and close examination revealed their true natures. Ingratitude, entitlement and hypocrisy were major parts of their concealed lifestyle. They were both very destructive individuals who usually emerged spotless from the chaos that they caused.

7 symptoms of a prideful heart

Fear
Entitlement
Ingratitude
People-pleasing
Prayerlessness
Hypocrisy
Rebellion

The hope is in Jesus Christ for the proud heart. Immanuel meaning God with us—condescended to live among us to die for us, and to raise us to new life in Him. He never committed any of these.

Philippians 2:4-6
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

I'm personally dealing with this sin in my life. I'm a recovering co- dependent.. it's a long work in progress.
It is indeed a quandary and we are mainly unaware how much pride we display. I tried to be silent with this, but it is out of Love I must offer some thoughts from Baha'u'llah.

"Take heed lest pride deter you from recognizing the Source of Revelation, lest the things of this world shut you out as by a veil from Him Who is the Creator of heaven."
Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 211

This happens to every Messenger, the very gifts from God that are without pride, are always rejected because of the pride we have attached to our own selves. Baha'u'llah offered a thought about those who reject jesus the Christ.

"Behold, how a mere shepherd was so carried away by the ecstasy of the words of God that he was able to gain admittance into the habitation of his Best-Beloved, and was united to Him Who is the Lord of Mankind, whilst they who prided themselves on their knowledge and wisdom strayed far from His path and remained deprived of His grace."
Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 83-84

We are all called to let go of our pride, why else would I post this, anticipating the response from past exchanges, it is naught but the Love of God that inspired me, it is my pride that I offer this to an audience that has often refuted this input.

"At every juncture We have restated Our theme, that all that hath been recorded in these verses may, by the leave of God, be made clear unto thee, and that thou mayest become independent of those who are plunged in the darkness of self and who tread the valley of arrogance and pride, and be of them that move within the paradise of everlasting life." Bahá’u’lláh, Gems of Divine Mysteries, p. 49

Oh God, what hast thou done!

Love to all. Regards Tony

People pleasing as a trauma response

Back