Interesting? exchange on a Noahide group on Facebook

TheLightWithin

...through a glass, darkly
Reaction score
I'm putting this in the Abrahamic queue as it is related to Noahide/Judaism, however, if anyone thinks it goes somewhere else, feel free to move it.

So we all know that if you subscribe to a lot of Facebook discussion groups, a whole vast array of posts flow through your newsfeed.
I am subscribed to a very large array of different groups that interest me. If I think a particular post is interesting, I share it.
One particular day, I was scrolling away through my FB newsfeed, and I saw, alongside my usual diet of humor, pets, spiritual inspiration etc. various posts about domestic violence, victim blaming, etc, that sort of thing. I'm not unused to that, but there were just more than usual that day from various groups.

One post that came up in my newsfeed was from an unfamiliar source. That itself didn't surprise me as I am subscribed to so many groups and that fills up my newsfeed- alongside a lot of promotional posts.
This particular post, had a very pretty, shiny, abstract picture like a glittering vase. At first I thought it was just artwork and almost carelessly "shared" it to my page for the looks of it. When I saw at the bottom of the post there was an indicator of "more" and when I clicked the link that said "more"it opened up to a a very long message about the evils of women dressing too revealingly and how that makes them homewreckers or something.

After all those earlier posts in my newsfeed, from other groups, about victim blaming and domestic violence/rape culture what have you, I was like, what are these people going on about?
The person who posted the item was a woman, or had a woman's name.
Anyway I hit reply and said I didn't really agree with the statements blaming women for how they dress and didn't really get their concern.
I got a swift reply scolding me for disagreeing with "the sages" as they are "never wrong" and it would "damage me spiritually to publicly contradict them" and the reply feature was shut down.
I looked a little more closely into this, and it turns out this was a VERY orthodox kosher Facebook group, labeled for Noahides.
Now, I'm a little interested in the Noahides, basically Jewish theology for non Jews. However, I don't recall having subscribed to a group that was so intensely orthodox. I also don't remembering encountering such posts before -- abstract art with a message kind of hidden at the bottom.
Anyway, once I realized this, I simply asked them to remove me from the group. I don't recall applying for it.
The woman said she would remove me from the group, but also said "listen, one thing I've learned, is if you end up somewhere randomly, it's for a reason, G-d had a purpose for putting you here" or words to that effect.

I'm just curious about anybody's reactions to my little adventure.

Last edited:
I’m not quite sure what you are asking, what type of comments you are looking for.

As I understood, "Noahide" is a Jewish theory about what God requested from those who are not part of the People of Israel. I heard opinions that following Islam would fulfill these requirements.
It can be expected that a group that defines itself Noahide feels closer to Judaism than that definition, but in the original sense, even as seen by Orthodox Jews, a Noahide is not supposed to follow rules of Orthodox Judaism.

Anyway, once I realized this, I simply asked them to remove me from the group. I don't recall applying for it.
The woman said she would remove me from the group, but also said "listen, one thing I've learned, is if you end up somewhere randomly, it's for a reason, G-d had a purpose for putting you hear" or words to that effect.
I think she may have been correct...and G!d was telling you to look more carefully before youbjoin a group or share a post....as all things are not as they seem. And some groups are using sneaky marketing tactics to get folks who would not normally read their posts to share them.

I'm putting this in the Abrahamic queue as it is related to Noahide/Judaism, however, if anyone thinks it goes somewhere else, feel free to move it.

So we all know that if you subscribe to a lot of Facebook discussion groups, a whole vast array of posts flow through your newsfeed.
I am subscribed to a very large array of different groups that interest me. If I think a particular post is interesting, I share it.
One particular day, I was scrolling away through my FB newsfeed, and I saw, alongside my usual diet of humor, pets, spiritual inspiration etc. various posts about domestic violence, victim blaming, etc, that sort of thing. I'm not unused to that, but there were just more than usual that day from various groups.

One post that came up in my newsfeed was from an unfamiliar source. That itself didn't surprise me as I am subscribed to so many groups and that fills up my newsfeed- alongside a lot of promotional posts.
This particular post, had a very pretty, shiny, abstract picture like a glittering vase. At first I thought it was just artwork and almost carelessly "shared" it to my page for the looks of it. When I saw at the bottom of the post there was an indicator of "more" and when I clicked the link that said "more"it opened up to a a very long message about the evils of women dressing too revealingly and how that makes them homewreckers or something.

After all those earlier posts in my newsfeed, from other groups, about victim blaming and domestic violence/rape culture what have you, I was like, what are these people going on about?
The person who posted the item was a woman, or had a woman's name.
Anyway I hit reply and said I didn't really agree with the statements blaming women for how they dress and didn't really get their concern.
I got a swift reply scolding me for disagreeing with "the sages" as they are "never wrong" and it would "damage me spiritually to publicly contradict them" and the reply feature was shut down.
I looked a little more closely into this, and it turns out this was a VERY orthodox kosher Facebook group, labeled for Noahides.
Now, I'm a little interested in the Noahides, basically Jewish theology for non Jews. However, I don't recall having subscribed to a group that was so intensely orthodox. I also don't remembering encountering such posts before -- abstract art with a message kind of hidden at the bottom.
The woman said she would remove me from the group, but also said "listen, one thing I've learned, is if you end up somewhere randomly, it's for a reason, G-d had a purpose for putting you hear" or words to that effect.

I'm just curious about anybody's reactions to my little adventure.
I would have stuck around. I'm intensely interested in how others live and how they practice their beliefs. Rather than interjecting my opinion into their community I would have asked questions or just observed.

As I understood, "Noahide" is a Jewish theory about what God requested from those who are not part of the People of Israel. I heard opinions that following Islam would fulfill these requirements.
It can be expected that a group that defines itself Noahide feels closer to Judaism than that definition, but in the original sense, even as seen by Orthodox Jews, a Noahide is not supposed to follow rules of Orthodox Judaism.
Exactly... which is why I found it a little odd when I looked at their group rules. I don't remember agreeing to them, so I think I might have received in invite because I had hit "like" on something else, and accepted it a little too uncritically, thinking it was something different than it turned out to be.

You're correct, from what I know, that Noahides are not supposed to follow the rules of Orthodox Judaism. For that matter, Conservative and Reform Jews don't even follow the rules of Orthodox Judaism. In practice today however, I think what happens is that Noahide study groups are being used as a stepping stone to conversion.

I think she may have been correct...and G!d was telling you to look more carefully before youbjoin a group or share a post....as all things are not as they seem. And some groups are using sneaky marketing tactics to get folks who would not normally read their posts to share them.
Well... yes and no... I think she was invoking the idea of God's guidance that I did belong there and should be more amenable to them. But I think it is true I need to be less hasty and sloppy with Facebook "LIKES" and hitting Accept to invites and such.

Or even with scrolling and sharing (re-posting) as rapidly as I sometimes do.

Reactions: wil
I would have stuck around. I'm intensely interested in how others live and how they practice their beliefs. Rather than interjecting my opinion into their community I would have asked questions or just observed.
That would have been a natural way to go about it in a different setting -- if it were an independent forum dedicated to Judaism and Noahides and certainly if I had gone to a bible study at a temple or something. What's jarring about being subscribed to a wide array of things on Facebook is that absolutely everything you are signed up for rolls into your feed all the time in the order it was posted. So the context is off. That was a group I didn't know I was in and/or thought it was something else-- I think their post about critiquing the morals about how women dress-- seemed random and sudden and even a little out of context on their page. Why would she just abruptly post that? And on my feed, the stern comment from the Noahide post about blaming women who dress provocatively for ruining marriages, just happened to come in my feed alongside a long line of posts from other groups I'm in, posts about domestic violence, rape culture on campuses, victim blaming, oppression, etc. So together, my mish-mash of subs led to my feed that making Noahide post look pretty bad in context.

I share your interest in others' beliefs. Therefore, I sub to a wide variety of groups on FB, some are opposing viewpoints to my own, some of the things I sub to are definitely opposing viewpoints to each other. I just have to be more discerning about what I hit "like" on (which sometimes subs you to the feed) what I actually subscribe or join. And cautious about replying to things that come into my feed apparently too.

You're correct, from what I know, that Noahides are not supposed to follow the rules of Orthodox Judaism. For that matter, Conservative and Reform Jews don't even follow the rules of Orthodox Judaism. In practice today however, I think what happens is that Noahide study groups are being used as a stepping stone to conversion.
I am on vacation. There are some misconceptions stated here that I‘d like to correct upon my return.

Last edited:
Back