Can there be a truth so great, that possibly even God could not do anything greater?

EricPH

Reaction score
Could God love each and every one of us as he loves himself? Could God love us more than he loves himself?

Here is a childlike and yet profound way to challenge the power of the greatest commandments; when looking for one single purpose that might impel God to create the universe and life. Before the creation of the universe began, imagine God looking out into the vast empty void of space. He might think, he have the power to create anything he likes, what is the greatest good thing that God can create?

God could create all the stars and planets and be the supreme builder. He could create plants; and be the finest gardener. God could create the animal kingdom; and be the complete farmer. God could create children in his own image, making God the greatest Father. Can God create anything greater than children in his own image?

God could love each and everyone of his children as he loves himself. Can there be any greater reason to have children? Could God love us more than he loves himself?

In a way, God loves us more than he loves himself, because he was willing to send his Son to die for us. In a contradicting way, God knows that he is the greatest being in the universe and retains the power of heaven or hell over us.

Could there be any greater purpose for God to create the universe and life?

What greatest purpose could God set mankind?

We cannot love God as we love ourselves, because that would bring God down to our level, so we have the greatest commandment to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. If God loves everyone as he loves himself, we are given the second greatest commandment to do likewise. Should we treat everyone as if they are God’s children? Matthew 25:31, The Sheep and the Goats

Did the greatest commandments have a greatest meaning for God first, before he gave them to us?

When you ask the question; why did Christ say they are the greatest commandment, can it possibly be because Jesus - God cannot do anything greater?

We can marvel at the great attention to detail that is evident in everything from the microscopic cells of life and right up to the giant structures of galaxies. Can you find any greater single purpose for all this to exist? Challenge the above statements in your mind in an honest way, test them I do not wish to claim ownership or any kind of copyright from these words, they are given freely for you to do as you see fit.

This is only a collection of words to challenge the mind to think, I do not pretend to understand the meaning, or to make any claims of truth from these words. They are written without any qualifications, authority, or any conscious revelations from God.

I have sent this to you in the hope that if you should read it, that it may inspire you in some way, then you may also find it worthy to pass onto others who may also pray, meditate on and challenge these words further. My hopes are that they may help to inspire unity, interfaith relations and world peace in some way.

God’s blessings be with you,

The God who created the universe and life.

Which 'god' are you referring to?
I can call you by any name I like, but that does not change who you are. We can call God the creator of all that is seen and unseen, by any name we like, this cannot change who God is.

The God who created the universe and life.

I can call you by any name I like, but that does not change who you are. We can call God the creator of all that is seen and unseen, by any name we like, this cannot change who God is.
The Idea of God changes greatly in a Western Left Hand Path lens, therefore I find your assumption incorrect.

I asked Bing AI, Can God love us more than he loves himself?

That is another very deep and philosophical question. There are different ways to approach it, depending on one’s perspective and beliefs. Some possible answers are:

• God cannot do anything greater than love us as he loves himself, because love is the greatest thing that God can do. God is love, and his love is the essence of his being and the expression of his will. He loves us as he loves himself, because we are made in his image and likeness, and we are the objects of his eternal and unchanging love. He cannot do anything greater than love us as he loves himself, because there is nothing greater than love, and there is nothing greater than God .
  • God can do something greater than love us as he loves himself, because he can make us love him as he loves himself. God loves us as he loves himself, but we do not always love him as we should. We are sinful and rebellious creatures, who often reject his love and disobey his commands. He can do something greater than love us as he loves himself, because he can transform our hearts and minds, and enable us to love him with all our being. He can also make us love one another as he loves us, and create a community of love among his people .
  • God does not do anything greater or lesser than love us as he loves himself, because he does everything out of love for us and for himself. God loves us as he loves himself, and he does everything for our good and for his glory. He does not measure his actions by a scale of greatness or smallness, but by a standard of goodness and wisdom. He does not do anything greater or lesser than love us as he loves himself, because everything he does is an act of love, and everything he does is perfect .
These are just some possible answers to your question. There may be other answers as well. Ultimately, the answer may depend on how one defines and understands the concepts of God, love, self, and greatness. These are deep and complex topics that have been discussed by philosophers and theologians for centuries . I hope you find this response helpful and informative. Thank you for using Bing! 😊

Which 'god' are you referring to?

Thanks for your response to my thread. My intention was not to try and convince someone to believe in God, it was aimed more at people who already have a faith in God.

Who is God?

Can there be one greatest good purpose to create the universe and life?

Could God love us as he loves himself? Could God love us more than he loves himself?

Giving us the freedom to love God and neighbour. also gives us the freedom to do evil.

When we look at the evil in the world, should God have created us in the first place?

Could God love each and every one of us as he loves himself? Could God love us more than he loves himself?
Although I know God as Father, I rather think of God as a dynamic rather than a fixed entity, a verb rather than a noun.

Or, another way, what God is, and what God does, are not two separate things. God is what God does, God does what God is.

So I'd say God is Love, but God does not love 'more' or 'less', any more than God is more or less God.

When speaking of God, His Love (and Mercy, and Justice, and Goodness, et., etc.) is absolute, Infinite, Boundless, Unlimited ...

We cannot fathom the depths of Divine Love.

Can God create anything greater than children in his own image?
I don't know ... God is God, and I am only human ...

What greatest purpose could God set mankind?
To know Him, to Love Him, to be one with Him – to participate in Him?

We cannot love God as we love ourselves, because that would bring God down to our level ...
But then, as St Paul says:
"And because you are sons (by adoption, cf Romans 8:15), God hath sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying: Abba, Father." (Galatians 4:6) – So it is the Holy Spirit in us who cries Abba on our behalf, because the Holy Spirit knows what we can only hope in faith. Again, this is another gift ...

Should we treat everyone as if they are God’s children? Matthew 25:31, The Sheep and the Goats
There is an apocryphal tale concerning the notoriety of Bishop Arnaud Amalric, a Cistercian abbot who played a prominent role in the Albigensian Crusade. as Papal Legate he was commanding the army at the siege of Béziers, Amalric was said to have been asked by one of the army how they would distinguish Catholic from Cathar when they stormed the town. Amalric is supposed to have replied: "Kill them all, for God knows which are His own."

I cannot condone such an order.

(Historical note: The infamous words attributed to the good Bishop are undoubtedly a fiction.)

Thanks for your response to my thread. My intention was not to try and convince someone to believe in God, it was aimed more at people who already have a faith in God.

Who is God?

Can there be one greatest good purpose to create the universe and life?

Could God love us as he loves himself? Could God love us more than he loves himself?

Giving us the freedom to love God and neighbour. also gives us the freedom to do evil.

When we look at the evil in the world, should God have created us in the first place?
Doesn't really answer my question . . . "Which god" are you referring to? What is this 'god' in your opinion?

"Which god" are you referring to? What is this 'god' in your opinion?

Whatever God we think we are praying to, the same God hears all our prayers. I believe the God we all pray to, is the creator of all that is seen and unseen. This applies to Muslims, Christians, Hindus, etc, despite all our differences. This is my belief.

This is an interfaith forum, I don't believe there can be a separate god for each religion. There are thousands of Christian denominations, this does not mean there are thousands of Jesus Christs.

God said to Moses, I Am who I am. When the people ask who sent you, Say I Am sent me. When you ask, what is this God, I believe God is saying we cannot possibly understand the creator of all that is seen and unseen. We only have to believe he exists.

If, and only if, God exists, what could be the greatest purpose for him to create the universe and life?

We cannot fathom the depths of Divine Love.

I fully agree with you. When I reflect on our Lord dying for us, it seems to infer that he loves us as he loves himself. Jesus said that two commandments are greatest for us, but was he including himself? Could Jesus do anything greater than love God the Father, and love all his neighbours as he loves himself?

Are these commandments so great, that they are worth dying for?

By struggling to understand what these commandments might mean to The Father and Son, is a way of me reflecting on where these commandments should lead me. Are they a greatest moral truth we can all agree on? If we could put these commandments above all else, could this lead to a greater interfaith understanding?

How many gods do you know? Believe in?
I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but the enthusiastic polytheist in me has to shout out "countless!"

I'm also a stickler for the "please specify which God" statement because my answer(and sometimes interest) will vary depending on this.

Whatever God we think we are praying to, the same God hears all our prayers. I believe the God we all pray to, is the creator of all that is seen and unseen. This applies to Muslims, Christians, Hindus, etc, despite all our differences. This is my belief.

This is an interfaith forum, I don't believe there can be a separate god for each religion. There are thousands of Christian denominations, this does not mean there are thousands of Jesus Christs.

God said to Moses, I Am who I am. When the people ask who sent you, Say I Am sent me. When you ask, what is this God, I believe God is saying we cannot possibly understand the creator of all that is seen and unseen. We only have to believe he exists.

If, and only if, God exists, what could be the greatest purpose for him to create the universe and life?
My god doesn't listen to you, or anyone else. My god is not the creator of this objective universe.
Why don't you accept that your Beliefs might be different than others?
Yeshua (Jesus) was not what you think he was.
Your Moses comment is from a book of fables, why should I take that as anything other?

"If, and only if, God exists, what could be the greatest purpose for him to create the universe and life?"
Because your universe is ruled under the Abrahamic god Yahweh . . . this is Yahweh's Subjective Universe and a plethora of us on the Western Left Hand Path seek our own Subjective Universe to exist in.

I'm also a stickler for the "please specify which God"
The greatest good God, can there be a God who loves us as he loves himself?
There can only be one God, no matter what name we call him by, this cannot change who God is

Back