Why does the Bible say to bury our dead, and about cremation?

davidsheep88

Reaction score
The Bible does not clearly define about cremation as a means to dispose of the dead. However, there is no scriptural prohibition of cremation in the New Testament. The Bible neither favors nor forbids the process of cremation.

1 Corinthians 15:35-55
“It is the same way with the resurrection of the dead. Our earthly bodies are planted in the ground when we die, but they will be raised to live forever. Our bodies are buried in brokenness, but they will be raised in glory. They are buried in weakness, but they will be raised in strength. They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.”

However, there are Christian practices and heathen practices and in our day because of a lack of knowledge, some in the church have adopted heathen practices in numerous areas, besides just the practice of cremation. We can clearly see in the Bible the tradition of the Israelites, God’s chosen people, was to always bury their dead and never to burn dead bodies, as the heathen round about them did. This is demonstrated in the Old Testament, as well as the New Testament. Jesus, Himself, was buried in a tomb.

A friend said this ;D.

Matt 8:21 Another of the disciples said to Him, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father."
Matt 8:22 But Jesus *said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead."

Luke 9:59 And He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father."
Luke 9:60 But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God."
Let.. "the dead" ... bury there own dead. I have always taken these two passages to mean.. "let the un-saved" bury their dead.
Still, Jesus was sealed in tomb for 3 days.
It seems burial was a practice in New testament times.

Matt 14:12; His disciples came and took away the body and buried it; and they went and reported to Jesus.
Luke 16:22; "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
Acts 2:29; "Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
Acts 5:6; The young men got up and covered him up, and after carrying him out, they buried him.
Acts 5:9; Then Peter said to her, "Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well."
Acts 5:10; And immediately she fell at his feet and breathed her last, and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.
Acts 8:2; Some devout men buried Stephen, and made loud lamentation over him.

..and we are symbolically buried with Christ.

Rom 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
1Cor 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
Col 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Whoops I messed up the title it's gonna be about " Why does the bible says to bury our dead and about cremation ? " Help mods please ;-;

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are, and to dust you shall return.

Considering all the bodies in the oceans or those that have been burned in fires and sadly the World Trade Center and the Holocaust as examples. I don't believe that's a law God puts on us. I am personally disgusted with the commercialization of the dead. I've told my children to cremate me.

Good friend said this.

If cremation were unknown in Israel (it wasn't, at least not in all periods; cremation pits have been unearthed there in which the individuals were permanently interred), the scriptures would not mention it for the same reason it doesn't mention, say, cell phones or social media. But since cremation was a known practice in the region we can conclude that it isn't mentioned because there was no particular stigma attached to it and it was culturally not very remarkable.

It seems like you are casting about for a post hoc prohibition on cremation because it either bothers you personally or you think that it should.

Back