On or Off The Pill

Nicholas Weeks

Bodhicitta
Reaction score
Contraceptive pill can be bad for women, in surprising ways, says Dr Sarah Hill:

https://www.sarahehill.com/your-brain-on-birth-control/

Although women go on the pill for a small handful of targeted effects (pregnancy prevention and clearer skin, yay!), sex hormones can’t work that way. Sex hormones impact the activities of billions of cells in the body at once, many of which are in the brain. There, they play a role in influencing attraction, sexual motivation, stress, hunger, eating patterns, emotion regulation, friendships, aggression, mood, learning, and more.
This means that being on the birth control pill makes women a different version of themselves than when they are off of it. And this is a big deal. By changing what women’s brains do, the pill also has the ability to have cascading effects on everything and everyone that a woman encounters. This means that the reach of the pill extends far beyond women’s own bodies, having a major impact on society and the world.

Yeah, there are side effects. But I'd rather see it available for those vvho need it than end up vvith more unvvanted pregnancies. That can have an impact on society and the vvorld as vvell.

Yeah, there are side effects. But I'd rather see it available for those vvho need it than end up vvith more unvvanted pregnancies. That can have an impact on society and the vvorld as vvell.
I used them long ago to increase my estrogen levels (haven't in close to two decades.) Hormone therapy's rather common for women who either want to get pregnant or want to suppress menopause symptoms.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Allopathic meds having side effects? Say it ain't so!

Funny thing..manybof our meds were first discovered and often get used for the side effects.

Me being male have little to say on women's choice to use meds eh?

Allopathic meds having side effects? Say it ain't so!

Funny thing..manybof our meds were first discovered and often get used for the side effects.

Me being male have little to say on women's choice to use meds eh?
Meds are interesting. My son takes epilepsy meds for bipolar.

Have not finished reading Dr Hill's book, so here is her experience going off the pill for a time:

"A couple of months after going off the pill, I realized that I felt . . .
different. I didn’t notice it while it was happening, but one day I
realized that my life had recently felt brighter and more interesting.
Like I had walked out of a two-dimensional, black-and-white movie
into a full-color, three-dimensional, meaning-filled reality. I started
exercising again and cooking—things that I used to take a lot of
pleasure in but had kind of forgotten about. I had more energy. I
noticed attractive men. I cared about how I looked in a way that I
hadn’t in a long time. I just felt . . . alive. Like, fully, vividly,
awesomely, humanly alive. This didn’t happen all at once. I didn’t
realize that any of these changes were happening until after they had
happened. I just one day realized that I felt awake from an almost
ten-year nap I hadn’t known I was taking."

Seems she's more about people making informed choices, and of course whenever dealing with women's health, patriarchy raises its head.

As a father of a daughter who suffered for years from undiagnosed endometriosis, we're only too aware of the imbalance.

Hey – if you're a man, you probably know the classic sign of a heart attack – I reckon most women know – pins and needles down your left arm, a pain across the chest ...

Hey – guess what – women don't present that pattern when they're having heart-attacks. So who knows the signs when a woman's having a heart attack?

I took them for a very brief time in my life they made me crazy so I stopped. I have found that condoms are a very effective form of birth control.

if you're a man, you probably know the classic sign of a heart attack – I reckon most women know – pins and needles down your left arm, a pain across the chest ...
Not the elephant on your chest or falling out of your chair in intense pain and waking up minutes later with folks on the computer saying "wil, it's your turn, play a card!"

The key for me has been the sudden sweating for no reason....from what I learned we have the same symptoms and same risk (men n wommen) yet women symptoms are less severe and often overlooked increasing the likelihood of death. I mean indigestion...sheesh.

yes, sudden sweating is a sure sign of an (impending) attack, clearer than any other symptom, though i have never experienced it.

Back