Principle/Law v Personal/Love

CircleoftheWay

Reaction score
Often I have raised the question of the difference in experience between theists and non-theists. Really, I have got nowhere as far as any thread is concerned, possibly because I cannot quite articulate exactly what I am asking.

But, whatever, reading through the Collected Letters of Alan Watts is a bit of a revelation. He has been identified with zen and all things "east" yet his period spent as an Anglican Priest in the USA seems obviously very formative in his ultimate views. I'm reading his "Beyond Theology: The Art of Godmanship" for a fourth time, and passages from his Letters provide great illumination to the actual intent and meaning of so much in that book.

There is one letter especially, and I will quote here various passages, attempting to retain the flow of the text.

Pantheism, which is what this is, is very attractive — if it is not pushed too far and made to reduce all being to a valueless, colorless, undifferentiated wodge of uniform oneness. For a long time I myself was perfectly content with this way of doctrinalizing a certain spiritual experience. But I soon discovered that, so far from expressing that experience, it was repressing it; it was preventing the content of that experience from becoming creative to its fullest extent. Because I wanted to adore, to worship, and to thank the something that had undoubtedly caused this experience and continued to maintain it, something that was certainly not my own ego.

Mr Watts then objects to being "somehow necessarily one with God".

The union was a necessary fact discovered — not a gift. But then the urge to adore and to thank didn’t fit with this, not, at least, until I found out that it really was a gift, until certain supremely convincing intellectual arguments showed me that truth of theism. Then I saw that this gift is offered to all, but that it is a gift, and act of supreme love, and not at all a necessary and inevitable thing which may be taken for granted

Arguing again against a point of view being expressed in a book called "The Perfect Way", he continues:-

For the “perfect way,” the union, even the identity, of God and man is necessary. God needs to manifest himself as the creation because otherwise his love would be potential, he would be imperfect, his nature would be unfulfilled. To my mind, that idea destroys the very glory of our union with God — the one thing that makes this union worthwhile, splendid, and meaningful. The glory of this given union with God that is offered to all, which is our raison d’être, is that while it need not be, it is. In other words, it is a gift of love, a free gift, for a necessary gift is not the result of love. Love must be free.
I can be united with God through his love only if I have no right to such a union, if God can do perfectly well without me, if it is an utterly free gift. It is this love which puts a heart in reality, a meaning in it, a value in it. For if God is subject to any necessity, necessity and not God is the ultimate reality, the first cause. And necessity is the nature of the machine. The root of all being is then made mechanical and lifeless and meaningless — in fact, dead.

Anyway, the letter is far longer, with greater detail. But for me, more and more, I feel cheated by so much of Western eastern stuff! Way back I read D T Suzuki speaking of the Dharmakaya in tones that virtually turned it (Him/Her?) into a personal deity. Moving on, I felt compelled to see Suzuki as some sort of maverick. Now? Well, and Dogen, who so often speaks of trust/faith that I wonder about so much found in western books on zen. It seems such books reflect more a recoil from perceptions of Christianity that are seen to be unacceptable (and they are!)

That's all for now. I must go. Grandchildren to feed and water!

I met a man who had been homeless for a couple of years, he carried his home in a few bags. He said, every night when I find somewhere to sleep, I reflect on my day, and find several things to thank God for. Food and drink, somewhere to wash, clean his clothes, people speaking to him. I found this to be a truly humbling experience, that a homeless man with virtually nothing, could be so positive. I speak to a number of recovering addicts, they are thankful every day for the simple things in life, and another day clean. When I look at my life, I should have even more to be thankful for.

We love our children and grandchildren, and we want what is best for them. But what about God?
You will never look into the eyes of anyone, who does not matter to God. The love of God is a profound subject, we can't imagine how God must feel, the creator of all that is seen and unseen. When he looks down on all his creation, his children and he has to see the mess we are making with his creation.

We love our children and grandchildren, and we want what is best for them. But what about God?
Thanks for your post. I'm not sure exactly where I'm "at" with some of my latest posts. I'm actually so astonished by the contents of many of the letters of Alan Watts, the "guru" of making the "eastern" ways of zen and Taoism relevant to todays seekers. Certainly his letters seem to make what I see to be the essence of Christianity very relevant!

I recently downloaded a book "Beyond Duality" (more a pamphlet than a book, but it was a cheapy Kindle) which charted the life of Alan Watts. The strange thing was that the "priesthood years" were notably missing. No mention at all! I put "Priest", then "Christianity" into the search facility and there were no hits at all. It may have been the same with "God" but I never tried! The word "burstiness" got 29 (sic) hits, which shows the paucity of the authors stylistic vocabulary! The burstiness of Mr Watt's ideas was to be admired!

Anyway, I'm not too sure about quotations here. On another Forum they jump on anything longer than a couple of sentences.......copyright? Here, you seem able to get away with any length. But here is Alan Watts again, in his "priesthood years" and one must certainly admire his burstiness......

You see, there is a conflict between contemplation and other activities when our contemplation, our consciousness of God, depends too much on a technique. A technique is something that you do; and strictly speaking you can only do one thing at a time. But contemplation is really something that God does in you, and its technique is so confusingly simple that it isn’t really a technique at all. God is here and now, and a technique for grasping him and holding him is as unnecessary as a bucket to a fish. The secret is to abandon every idea, method, and device which you use for grasping the fact of God’s presence — because the important thing is that the fact should grasp you, not you the fact. In attempting the latter, the former is not realized. You might think that such an abandonment of technique and method would deliver you over to nothingness. So it does — but to no ordinary nothingness, but rather to that mysterious void, the divine darkness, from which the power of God emerges. The thing works because God truly and objectively is quite apart from one’s own thought and imaginations about him. This abandonment of technique is not, however, quietism. It is faith. Quietism is doing nothing in order to find God, and this studied “doing nothing” is still a device, a technique, for grasping the ungraspable, and presupposes lack of faith in the truth that God is here and now and holds us in spite of ourselves. Therefore it still falls short of handing the mind and will entirely over to God. The point is to give the mind to God himself and not to our own method of conceiving him. He will do the rest. Our consciousness of God is then determined by God himself and not by our thoughts and feelings about him. But I don’t think you can tell that to a person who hasn’t struggled with a technique for some time!

Such ideas are nothing new in one sense, but for me they offer great clarity to ideas and expressions found in Pure Land, zen and Taoism - but in a theistic context. And yes, I think the final sentence can be so true.

Apparently in copyright law there is no hard-and-fast rule as to when a quote oversteps the mark. I think we mods tend to be easy-handed here. Personally I draw the line at extended tracts as a form of proselytising – but then I nearly pasted a chapter from Isaiah, only because every line was relevant, and there was something poetic about the whole text.

Perhaps @Nicholas Weeks has more insight on the issue?

As your posts tend to the general rather than specific – although I suppose some could argue you're promoting Alan Watts! – I personally don't have an issue?

@CircleoftheWay -

I’m not sure to what extent Watts’ training as a priest affected his thoughts. He was ordained in 1946 and left the church in 1951. Furthermore, he had been active in Buddhist circles for years prior to entering an Episcopal seminary.

As your posts tend to the general rather than specific – although I suppose some could argue you're promoting Alan Watts! – I personally don't have an issue?
I'm more astonished at the content of his letters, particularly of the so called "Priesthood Years" given his reputation as some sort of eastern guru.

@CircleoftheWay -

I’m not sure to what extent Watts’ training as a priest affected his thoughts. He was ordained in 1946 and left the church in 1951. Furthermore, he had been active in Buddhist circles for years prior to entering an Episcopal seminary.
From his letters it seems that he made up his mind to enter the Priesthood in 1941 and from that time on became immersed in the various studies necessary before being able to be ordained.

Again, his letters on occasion express a dissatisfaction with certain Buddhist metaphysics, or lack of them! ( I'd say that in one sense such a criticism is unfounded, given the "silence of the Buddha" on metaphysical questions)

So really, his deeply Christian years were about 10 in number, and given an intellectual life beginning at - say - 15, this is about a quarter of his entire intellectual life.

Back