When your down...and discouraged...and you need a helping hand...

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Where do you turn?

Share your "tricks".

Do ya go within?

Do you grab your gratitude journal and memories?

Do you have a mantra, or scripture or koan?

Do ya stick your face in ice water?

Is there a system (first I try, and if that doesn't work, and then...)

Some self medicate thru alcohol...or drugs....hmmm. I guess all of the above is a form of self medication..but to me..all of the above is preferable to the bottle to relieve whatever pain.

Big hugz, if you need then I have them!

1. Meditate
2. Go for a walk, preferably in nature.
3. Smoke a cigar (not sure why it works for me but it does).
4. Listen to music.
5. If I'm really down I listen to awful and pathetic music from my childhood. One time a friend of mine was really depressed about a break up. I found an old cassette tape in my basement. It was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles album (the band, not the movie soundtrack). So cheesy but it cheered us both up.
6. I read websites that are full of random facts, such as Ranker.com and Grunge.com.
7. I build something. Could be a craft, Legos, etc.

Reactions: wil
Sometimes I think there's just one thing I need to accomplish in a day -- perhaps defrost the fridge or weed my 90 yr old neighbour's garden for him-- and if I get that one thing done, the day's been ok?

There are a couple of very close real-life people I can ask to be there with me. One I'm married to. The other two are best friends.

My therapist, if the thing that's dragging me down is such that I don't want to talk about it with the above three.

"Self-medication" through spiritual means, food, or pining for whatever desirable out-of-reach thing or person: I've done that for waaay too long in my life, and I now recognize it to be unhealthy for me. When I notice myself going there, I often (far from always) am able to instead get myself to reach out to my SO, friends, or therapist.

Where do you turn?

Share your "tricks".

Do ya go within?

Do you grab your gratitude journal and memories?

Do you have a mantra, or scripture or koan?

Do ya stick your face in ice water?

Is there a system (first I try, and if that doesn't work, and then...)

Some self medicate thru alcohol...or drugs....hmmm. I guess all of the above is a form of self medication..but to me..all of the above is preferable to the bottle to relieve whatever pain.

Big hugz, if you need then I have them!
I should turn more to God than I do

My husband

I like to color..

Video games numb me or binge watching a show

I've been grieving hard for Sarge he gave the best hugs

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708743300883.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708743300883.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 10
I had to do a double take on this one. Is this a thing nowadays? Serious question. I could see cleaning my fridge out but it's been decades since I've seen a fridge that needed defrosting.
Mine must be old then. The freezer section gets clogged with ice. But it works fine, lol

Defrost the fridge... I love it.

Turn to G!d... not intentionally being blasphemous....but is there a difference between the two?

What the good book does for me is move my focus from my troubles. Gives me something else to consider than whatever pain I experience or perceieve.

The stories of Job, of others tribulations, of how they handled it...be it Biblical parables, the complexities of Gita situations, Marvel superheroes, kids fairy tales, Greek mythology....defrosting the fridge..from fantastical allegory to pray but move your feet they are tools that move us from where we.were (in time, space, attitude) to a new time and space....

I can come here....and read some of yalls insights!

It all helps move me from the wallows

Defrost the fridge... I love it.

Turn to G!d... not intentionally being blasphemous....but is there a difference between the two?
My car is blue. My bicycle is blue So they're the same?

Back